Author Topic: So what is this all about  (Read 65659 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: So what is this all about
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Antigen"
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Miss Antsy Pam"
The use of the words..."Behavior Modification" and "Emotional Growth" industry are one in the same and will be used interchangeably

~pam

That's one of the most difficult and frustrating thing about this industry.  As soon as something gets a bad rap, they change the damn name, which leave me thinking: every once in a while we're going to probably have to go back through the websites and do a couple "search & replace" actions to make the old terms reflect current marketing.

Either that or try and come up with terms that are more direct, therefore more all-encompassing, than the euphemisms the industry uses.
thought reform industry?  Now that is calling a spade a spade.  I like it. We can hyperlink it and explain the term on a separate page.

I like the general idea too.  We can try and use less of their language on the webpages (but this may present issues for SEO).

Hate to throw a hairbrush into the crapper, but I (strongly) disagree with this. Once you whitewash all of this language into something "universally descriptive," you effectively disconnect from and dilute program lingo to the point where you no longer have any street cred with the already partially washed, or even once-dipped. You are then preaching only to the completely naive.

Chances are that many, if not most, of the readership will be those who have had some exposure and are seeking more info. E.g., a parent who has been recommended a program by their kid's ill-guided or already-washed therapist, and they are trying to get a second or third opinion on the internet.

One of the reasons these hell-holes achieve such a profound cult following is that they create a "special" little world, with that oh-so-special knowledge, and this is all held together by that "special" erudite language that only those elite and hip enlightened souls who are "in the know" are familiar with. You want to rip that fantasy out on its ear and show exactly what that language means from a different perspective, namely from the perspective of those who have suffered through the double-speak. To do that effectively, you gotta be able to talk that lingo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
As far as verbage goes probably the "youth reform" industry or "youth re-education" industry might be descriptive.

I think it would be important to have a "publicity" division of the org.  If all this work is done but nobody knows about it, it's all for nothing.  However, letter writing campaigns, press releases, magazine and newspaper articles everywhere would make the idea of abusive residential treatment programs more well known.  

I also believe one good tactic is to try to create a stigma to attach to people who voluntarily enroll their children in programs. The bandwagon helped create the popularity of this industry, and the bandwagon can help derail it. The more information (fact-based solid facts) that gets out there, the more people will not be able to close their eyes and just pretend it isn't there.  We should probably hit as many modes of communication as we can....  (Just my .02)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
I'm betting the debate on semantics goes at least 3 pages.

1) Project for websites first.
2) Semantically loaded top heavy org later.

Can we start making anti-program websites now please?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Quote from: "Kathy M (FICAN)"
I'm willing to give it a try.   :nods:
Cool cool!  great to have you onboard.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
One of the reasons these hell-holes achieve such a profound cult following is that they create a "special" little world, with that oh-so-special knowledge, and this is all held together by that "special" erudite language that only those elite and hip enlightened souls who are "in the know" are familiar with. You want to rip that fantasy out on its ear and show exactly what that language means from a different perspective, namely from the perspective of those who have suffered through the double-speak. To do that effectively, you gotta be able to talk that lingo.

I think I agree with you there.  Very good point.  Perhaps we can have a dictionary of sorts (click on a word, get a definition or a link to the relevant section of the site).

What i'd like to do now is get a template nailed down as a starting point for all the websites to save time.  That will make a 5 day job a 2 day job (if we all work together).

I'm thinking we can divide it into several sections:

• General intro section
  • Section for prospective parents, starting off with a letter from a former parent
  • Section for former students, pointing to support groups, information on lifton, etc... gently, though.
  • Section for general info on the industry, ed-cons, NATSAP as relevant to the program
  • Section documenting legal problems of the facility, allegations of abuse
  • Section for testimonials of former students.
  • Section on staff... where they worked... any dirt
  • FAQ section

This is the general outline I followed for my Benchmark website, however I am looking for ways to improve the effectiveness of the websites so please comment or suggest changes as you feel them appropriate.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »
Quote from: "Kathy M (FICAN)"
I also believe one good tactic is to try to create a stigma to attach to people who voluntarily enroll their children in programs. The bandwagon helped create the popularity of this industry, and the bandwagon can help derail it. The more information (fact-based solid facts) that gets out there, the more people will not be able to close their eyes and just pretend it isn't there.

LOL, positive peer pressure?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the invite,

Just want to say I think this is a great idea.  Our web knowledge is generally limited (just look at our website) so I leave it to you folks to do the web design and SEO.  Just let us know how we can be helpful.

Brian

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
Quote from: "blombrowski08"
Thanks for the invite,

Just want to say I think this is a great idea.  Our web knowledge is generally limited (just look at our website) so I leave it to you folks to do the web design and SEO.  Just let us know how we can be helpful.

Brian
Kat is invited too (but I didn't have her email).  Right now i'm looking for:

*good researchers
*good writers

If you know anybody who fits the bill and who you can trust, please, by all means, give them the password and send them here.

Offline firstresponder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
[

i wrote a paper on the lauton notes from ww2 prisoner study. i was able to connect how they brainwashed the POW's and how the behavioral modification schools or what ever you want to call them, us the same things to brain wash the students and parents. the similarity's were too close for comfort.
trained to save you ass not kiss it.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 10:13:37 PM »
Quote from: "firstresponder"
[

i wrote a paper on the lauton notes from ww2 prisoner study. i was able to connect how they brainwashed the POW's and how the behavioral modification schools or what ever you want to call them, us the same things to brain wash the students and parents. the similarity's were too close for comfort.

If you found that interesting, you will probably enjoy this as well:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/brain ... ing19.html
(on brainwashing in communist china)

Offline firstresponder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »
that is  what i used. it was original called laftons notes on brainwashing.
trained to save you ass not kiss it.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »
Currently I am working on ironing out the look, feel, and organization of this site here.  I propose we make it the "test run" of this website production design to serve as a model and template for future websites.

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
you already know my stance:

1) Project first..
2) alliance later.

Won't do anything more than that at the moment.

I second that motion!
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
First, Thank you for the invitation. I forgot to mention that earlier.

What can be done as a collective about the HR 6358 situation?

And, I like the idea of having a web-page for each program similar to what the Hephzibah Girls have put together. Similar to an anti-program page with those who want to put their story out there as a warning to others and to expose how the process of lies are explained by the specific program. Yes Psy, both of your pages are perfect examples of this too.

Would it be better to work as individuals with web-pages and just link to each other?

What will be expected from me to help form this? If you are generally just wanting to link up web-pages, that sounds great. I just don't want to inadvertantly help programs by conducting ineffective practices or sharing information with "unknowns". The "Brainwashing" and "Cult" aspects used within programs must be stressed regardless of our direction or affiliation.

Whether we like it or not, something like this has to happen eventually to be as effective as we need to be.
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »
Quote from: "Deprogrammed"
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
you already know my stance:

1) Project first..
2) alliance later.

Won't do anything more than that at the moment.

I second that motion!

:notworthy:  :notworthy:

All hail the haters of bureaucracy!