Author Topic: Have Sudweeks Opened Defunct Whitmore as Bed and Breakfast  (Read 37991 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Have Sudweeks Opened Defunct Whitmore as Bed and Breakfast
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
The Whitmore Mansion B&B

Write a review
110 S Main St # 73
Nephi, UT 84648-1710

(435) 623-2047?

Get directions: To here - From here

Edit New!  ©2008 Google - Map data ©2008 Tele Atlas - Terms of UseView Larger Map

Overview Details (1) Reviews  Web Pages (7)  

Accommodation Type?: Bed and Breakfast
Description?: This exquisitely crafted, 20-room Victorian features hand-carved stone, brick, staircases and fireplace mantels. Among the nine bedrooms are two bridal suites and a unique family suite with a turret
Currency?: USD
Historic Awards?: National Register (Granted) and State Register (Granted).
More from Iloveinns.com »

Isn't this how the Sudweeks started Whitmore Academy in the beginning?
Trying to run a facility for teens and a  B & B at the same time?????   :wall:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Have Sudweeks Opened Defunct Whitmore as Bed and Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
According to this article in the Nephi, Utah THE TIMES NEWS:   The Sudweeks were running The Whitmore Academy as a progam for troubled teens, and as a Bed and Breakfast as the same time.

By Myrna Trauntvein
Times-News Correspondent
The Whitmore mansion is more than the Inn, a bed-and-breakfast, it is also the Whitmore Academy a place for troubled youth to find strong foundation, much like the home which was built in 1898.

Mark Sudweeks and his wife are the owners of the Whitmore and still use the second floor for a bed-and-breakfast however, the home has also become a place of learning.

"In order to meet the state requirements, we need a business license that is more appropriate than as a bed and breakfast," said Sudweeks.

Currently there are 12 students living at the home and under the care of the Sudweeks.

The couple have been providing opportunities for youth who have trouble at home and in school for the past 25 years and have four such locations known as "Who Am I Discovery" residential treatment center.

The other locations are in Kleena Kleene, British Columbia, Canada; Baja California, SUR, Mexico; the Whitmore and the Ridge Equine Center in Levan.

Sudweeks told the council that they do not need to be concerned about the young people who stay at the home being trouble-makers in the community because they are youth who also recognize that they need to make a change in their lives.

In addition, they are not adjudicated, or required by a court to attend a court-approved facility.

Nevertheless, said Sudweeks, in order for the center to meet the requirements of the state, a different type of license is needed. That is where the city can assist.

"I had a conversation with the state and we will be prepared to offer the different license upon our hearing, officially, from the state," said Chad Brough, mayor.

Students who live at the center earn the schooling from the Nebo School District.

"We tried to work through the Juab School District but they did not have the program we needed," said Sudweeks. "Therefore we are working with the Nebo School District because they have the Landmark School which is just what we needed."

A typical city business license allows the pursuit of a business, such as the bed and breakfast, on the premises of the establishment and that will do fine for that part of the business.

However, said Sudweeks, it is important for the residential treatment center, in order to be approved by the state, to have a different sort of license that will allow young people to be housed for the purpose of therapy.

"Our curriculum is fully accredited and accepted by most schools and university's" he said. "Independent learning, at an individual pace, promotes confidence within, as we achieve educational goals as they relate to specific graduation requirements."

The teens in the Utah program, at the Whitmore Academy, have the benefit of the home, with 12 beautiful rooms, a swimming pool and Jacuzzi. In addition, they can enjoy the majestic mountains and the nearby beauty of Little Sahara Sand Dunes, Lake Powell, Canyon Lands National Parks, Zions Park and many other natural wonders.

"It is not our goal to take the kids out of the slum, rather we want to take the 'slum' out of the kinds," he said,

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
PLEASE PROVIDE ORIGINAL LINKS

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
How to travel there and their ad

Links to photos by Mrs.Morgan:
Photo no. 1
Photo no. 2

For some reasons the European wiki server seems to be a little more updated then the US-version. Wierd.

If you want to be certain why do you not ask the former poster "Settleforsomethingnew" if it is true? She is friend with the (Nice looking) daughter. She is always a pleasure to serve with gas. I wont be mixed up as I have a business here in Nephi to think about.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
B.... Are you on here?

Anyway, you forgot to mention that Laeysa is not just anybody. She is the 2003 Ute Stampede Queen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »
Which one would be "the nice looking daughter" in your opinion?   Trinity, Shayla, or Laysea?
Do all of them work at this B & B now?  Is it still a home for troubled teens?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:22:18 AM »
Laeysa for sure. A lot of people dont think very much of us people serving lowpaid jobs, but she did always speak nice to us.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
I have learned the the elderly Sudweeks are in Bella Coola, British Columbia, where they hopefully can settle with having enough grandchildren for an entire TBS, so other dont have to be detained there.
Kamryn Shay Welling

daughter of Stephen and Shayla Welling of Kalispell, was born May 24 at North Valley Hospital.

She weighed 8 pounds, 4 ounces, and was 21 inches long.

Kamryn joins Jesse, 7, Laynee, 5, Gabrielle, 4, and Luke, 2.

Paternal grandparents are Mike Welling and Evie Welling of Missoula. Maternal grandparents are Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks of Bella Coola, British Columbia.
That is a lot of grandchildren.

Then who is running the B & B?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
According to her My Space, it appears that Laysea might be running the Whitmore B &B.  She lists Bed and Breakfast as her occupation.

Nick and Laeysa
    "I love you Lace"
Male
22 years old
Lindon, Utah
United States
Last Login: 11/16/2008  

View My: Pics | Videos  

Contacting Nick and Laeysa
    Nick and Laeysa's Interests  
General I love riding horses with Laeysa! I really enjoy doing almost anything with her. Roping colts, feeding, hauling tons and tons of hay, petting, grooming anything really. Her passion and love for horses is what really makes me love and enjoy doing that with her. I know that, that is one huge thing that makes her happy, and pretty much the only time that Im happy is after I make sure that she is happy. I also love to ride Bmx, ive been doing it off and on for the last 8 years. Im trying to get back into racing, we'll see how long that lasts. Im also trying to get Laeysa so race with me! That would be a blast!!!
Music COUNTRY OF COURSE!! OK everyone needs and little rock, punk, and rap every now and then.
Movies Laeysa- The Notebook Cinderella man 13 going on 30 monster in law Nick- The rock Gone in 60 seconds  

Nick and Laeysa's Details  
Here for: Friends
Orientation: Straight
Hometown: Nephi
Body type: 0' 0" / Athletic
Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Religion: Mormon
Zodiac Sign: Aries
Smoke / Drink: No / No
Children: Someday
Education: High school

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:28:58 PM »
The elderly Sudweeks must be international residents, those jet-setters. Seems their son claims residences in Mexico and and Utah.

~BrEk~

"Do what makes you happy.. be with who makes you smile.. laugh as much as you breathe.. love as long as you live!"

[Male
16 years old
baja cali. sur mexico and , Utah
United States

Last Login: 11/20/2008

Mood: pumped for winter  

Contacting ~BrEk~

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
This young daughter has amazing skills.  At 16 she was left in charge of the "troubled" kids at Whitmore.  She was also a "teacher" of some sort.  And now she is supposedly running a bed and breakfast business.  Did she even complete high school?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
~BrEk~
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
~BrEk~

"Do what makes you happy.. be with who makes you smile.. laugh as much as you breathe.. love as long as you live!"

Hmm. Why use drugs, when you know how to hyperventilate?!  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
All the sudweeks are great People!!! Ive been dating their daughter for over nine months and I love her to death. Not only do I love her I respect and love her family so much. They are all such hard working people. They all have the best heart and do so much for other people. They've been through allot and I think that is what makes them such great and strong people. As someone that feels close to them all I can say is Sudweeks are great. I love you guys!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
Quote from: "Nick Powell"
All the sudweeks are great People!!! Ive been dating their daughter for over nine months and I love her to death. Not only do I love her I respect and love her family so much. They are all such hard working people. They all have the best heart and do so much for other people. They've been through allot and I think that is what makes them such great and strong people. As someone that feels close to them all I can say is Sudweeks are great. I love you guys!

"They all have the best heart and do so much for other people"?

San Jose Mercury News (CA)

Dateline: SAN DIEGO

February 22, 2001

A Utah couple who operate centers for troubled adolescents has been ordered to shut down their program on the Baja California Peninsula and leave Mexico with 14 teen clients.

Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks were given until Friday to leave Mexico because they violated terms of their tourist visas by illegally operating a business, according to a spokesman for the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana.

The Sudweekses, of Alpine, Utah, ran the Chilanko Lodge Treatment Center in Santa Rosalia.

SPCA Continues to Care for Williams Lake
Horses as Sudweeks Appeal

http://www.spca.bc.ca/news/Aug2002_AnimalsNews.asp

As reported in last month's issue, the guardian of a ranch
near Williams Lake where 29 starving horses and seven dogs
were seized in January 2001 has been fined $4,000 and
ordered never to own another animal. On July 19 Mark
Sudweeks of Utah was found guilty of two counts of causing
or permitting animals to be in distress under the Prevention
of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) Act. This is the first time in BC
history that someone has been banned from owning animals
for life.

Forget it.  Waste of time running down the Sudweeks' international crimes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile