Author Topic: Outside World or Real World  (Read 3379 times)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Outside World or Real World
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
I am just wondering how many of you heard, "when you get into the outside world..." when you were in treatment? Since I was in a highly secure facility, we all used to just look at each other and laugh quietly. We could not even see the outside world, much less worry about it. We sometimes saw it on TV, but we could not see the outside world. I remain agoraphobic to this day.

We were all too busy hoping not to get punished, for something we had no idea was punishable. There was no real rule book, so people would get punished when revealing some newly made up sin. We all know about that. The outside world thing still brings up that cynical laugh in me. We all knew we were there until insurance ran out, which was usually 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Re: Outside World or Real World
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »
Typically it was just referred to as the 'world', with a nasty kind of emphasis on the word, like it was dirty.  They were right, some of it is, but they were also wrong, some of it is beautiful, picturesque, serene, and happy.  Idiots.  Life is what you make it, when you are the one in control.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »
This was more in the sense of "if you were in the real world...". Basically, if you did something they felt was wrong, then you were told, "In the real world...". It meant that you still were not ready for regular life and they were going to punish you somehow (a few days in five point restraints, a level drop, and/or some sort of isolation. We all know those are regular punishments in the real world, right? NOT. I was thinking about my life the other day in regards to treatment and it bears no resemblance to anything they were theoretically preparing me for. Treating someone who isolates by putting them isolation is really a contradiction. By isolation you need to understand that you sit in a chair facing a wall and are allowed to use the bathroom every two hours. You eat alone, stare at a wall (usually in your room), use the bathroom every two hours. You do that for 16 hours a day for up to 9 months or a year. That is not anything that is going to prepare you for the so-called "real world". So my words to the program I was in are, "Thanks for the agoraphobia!".

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
We had a lock up room.  All it had was a little blue mat.  You got locked in & the bathroom trips were infrequent.  They piped in sermons recorded from when Lester Roloff was alive.  Hours & hours of it.  

We weren't allowed to talk about 'the world'.  People, places, music, art, books, anything that was secular. You absolutely could not talk about the past.  You could forget about cleanliness for a while...which itself is a bit of a contradiction if, in fact, "Cleanliness is Godliness..."  We were often told about how we wouldn't make it in 'the world'  Guess what?  They were wrong...I'm doing just fine.  

I won't make it big where I work, I lack the skills to lie, cheat & deceive my way to the top there...but I'm not too upset about that.  I've done as much as I can to show them that the job can be done honestly, without all the BS, and still be done well.  Whether they choose to pay attention to what I've shown them is up to them.  It's just about time to move along.

I've been taken advantage of, I've had my heart broken, normal life circumstances that I was utterly unprepared for by Roloff or my ultra Christian family.  None of what I was told would happen to me in 'the world' has happened like they said it was going to.  I haven't any words for them, only anger.  I will do all I can to prevent other children from being harmed by them & their ilk; regardless of what label they operate under, abusers are abusers and they have to be stopped & held accountable for their actions.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:35:08 PM »
Hurrikayne,

Don't get me wrong. I am happy with where my life is going. I am looking at moving away from TX again. I am not sure where since my money situation is tight. I make jewelry, people like it. I like making it. I also do web design, digital art, and write. Those are not "real jobs", but I am getting by and I love what I am doing. Psy has helped me get back to creating and vice verse. Three are great people here. I just wish I could walk beyone my comfort zone.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
For the most part I've found people just as viscious, just as deranged, and just as moronic as I did working in programs. The only difference is the location and my ability to tune them out. Of course If I'd stop hanging out in some of the places I tend to hang out I probably meet some better folks. But then life would be boring.

People I think tend to spend most of their time running their own program no matter where they are in some way or another.

If you are happy rolling the way you are rolling then more power to you.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
I specifically remember good 'ol Dave Crock going on and on about how the people not in straight were not able to be honest with themselves,full of shit etc and so on,funny how ironic that statement is now though as,to an extent its true,but its even MORE true of the program itself.I remember it well,sitting in the sweltering heat of the Morgan Yacht bldg,in a "guys rap".Bored as shit kicking at a piece of that dried resin shit,thet was stuck everywhere on the floor.See this was BEFORE the goddamn blue chairs ,when we had the old wooden folding wooden pieces of shit,famous for generating splinters into ones ass,whenever we had to "motivate". They seemed to think that noone was ever gonna be in the real world,I mean they'd have taught us to transition somehow if that was the plan.On my intake they said some shit about having "200 friends for life", I didnt believe it even then.I got bounced from fosterhome to fosterhome to fosterhome,cause my family,such as it was,lived down in Venice.I got to go home maybe 4 times overnight on 2nd and 3rd phase together.It was hell,but afew of the fosterhomes were OK.Not one goddamn iota of this taught me jack shit about dealing with the real world.See I never did much care for the real world anyways,too much going on in it and most of it not worth the energy to participate in,all worried about status,and image and vanity that has absolutly no value,and less substance.A lot of the real world seems shallow and perfunctory to me,straight was a little slice of that,like a microcosm of the bigger world,chalk full of backstabbery,snitches and assholes with an agenda of fuckery,where the only motive is money,by any means possible,no matter who gets fucked,which is shit I just cant get behind.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad