Author Topic: The Gaulds - on parenting  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The Gaulds - on parenting
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:48:46 AM »
MARKETING 101:

• Simplify description of your product into 1-3 concrete statements which are easy for consumers to remember.
  • Equate your product with universal values that everyone shares.
  • Claim that you are reputed to be "the best," even if your word is the only source for said accolade.
  • Repeat product name and the name of your company at least 4x throughout advertisement.
  • Recruit positive testimonials. Bribe, shame, or coerce if you need to.
  • Never admit mistakes. Always shift the blame to the dissatisfied consumer.
  • Persevere with the above regardless of outcome. He who lasts, achieves credibility by virtue of existence alone.
  • After a few years, add "expert" to your list of self-descriptives, regardless of actual abilities or expertise.

The following from the StrugglingTeens site:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Hyde Schools
Bath, ME

Malcolm Gauld On Parenting As Manager

Rose Mulligan
Marketing &Media Outreach
207-443-7379
[email protected]. Also visit http://www.hyde.edu.

Copyright © 2007, Woodbury Reports, Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
Re: The Gaulds - on parenting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:13:47 AM »
Above all

bury your wood

where

no lawn would find it offensive

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »
I wanna bury my wood into laura gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
Quote from: "cocka plane"
I wanna bury my wood into laura gauld

She might like that.  I here Mal is not taking care of the biggest job.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
"Admitting to our limitations and errors as parents allows us to liberate ourselves from a societal pressure of perfection," says Laura. "We free ourselves up and in the process, inspire our children through the example of our humanity."

admitting to errors, humanity?

The day Hyde School follows their own honor code will be a cold day in hell.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The Gaulds - writtin good!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »
Quote from: "WCW"
"Admitting to our limitations and errors as parents allows us to liberate ourselves from a societal pressure of perfection," says Laura. "We free ourselves up and in the process, inspire our children through the example of our humanity."

admitting to errors, humanity?

The day Hyde School follows their own honor code will be a cold day in hell.

"free ourselves up?"  What's up wid that shit?  She don't be teachin'  english is her?

http://www.postdiluvian.org/~gilly/Scho ... ction.html

Grammar Nazi

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »
Hey hey hey, that's "Attitude over Aptitude" for ya!!!   ;D

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:32:58 PM »
"It is liberating to admit to our own mistakes, we all make them," says Malcolm. "You can get back on track by saying something like, "Son, I need to apologize for how I handled that situation yesterday. I got sucked into your terrorist attitude and let you off the hook. I promise not to let that happen today.""

This is hardly an apology. This is worming your way OUT of a real apology, by putting focus on the kid's "terrorist attitude" first. and parent's incompetance at dealing with it second. Typical Hyde BS.

Offline joethebadass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
My favorite part about it is the fact that they use the word "terrorist." What an apropo way to demonize someone for this day and age. "You're an emotional terrorist!" Why not just call them emotional communists while we're at it?
Joe - "So what if a kid gets sent here who doesn\'t need or deserve it?"

Staff - "Bans."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
I remember when he looked pretty much like the Geico caveman (with a little less hair), but now, there is a lot less friction offered to the breezes that stir a character educator's soul (and scalp):

"GITTIN' SERIOUS 'BOUT MY CHARATER!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
Careful kids! All-white and a "good attitude" does not an angel make!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
Given what has been discussed of late in The Cheating Crisis in our Schools thread, I thought y'all might like to hear that the real source of pretty much every single catchy phrase in the article "PARENTING EXPERTS: YOU MUST PARENT LIKE A MANAGER AND PREPARE TO BE FIRED" (recently posted on the Struggling Teens site) ...would appear to actually be none other than San Francisco Bay Area psychologist Michael Riera and (now?) Idaho psychologist Foster Cline.

Notably absent from the ST "Breaking News" item was any mention whatsoever of Michael Riera or Foster Cline and their contributions.

Inexplicably, Malcolm Gauld discussed the source of said concepts three years ago in his own blog, color emphasis mine:

Date: November 01, 2005
Subject: Helicopter or Drill Sergeant?

During my Parent's Weekend talk last week in Bath, I referred to some concepts I learned last winter when Laura and I participated in a Young President's Organization (YPO) conference in Phoenix titled "Raising Responsible Children." Frankly, it was encouraging to realize that all the presenters were unanimous in expressing the opinion that it's high time for parenting and teaching to move from a paradigm of overpraising and nurturing to one of raised expectations and accountability.

For example, San Francisco Bay Area psychologist Michael Riera noted that parents naturally assume the role of "Parent as Manager" when their children are young. However, he stressed that it is essential that parents must expect to get fired when their child hits the teen years. "Get over it," says Riera, "and get rehired as a consultant."

While Colorado psychologist Foster Cline agrees that parents must be in the consultant role by the teen years, he notes that the Parent as Manager will naturally tend toward one of two parenting styles: The Helicopter or The Drill Sergeant. The former is a hovering micro-manager and the latter is, well, a drill sergeant! Remain in Helicopter mode after the teen years begin and you'll likely wind up with a hostile dependent adult. Remain in Drill Sergeant mode and you can expect to have a grown-up resentful rebel on your hands. As parents, this choice is a problem for each of us. However, consider the alternative: adults who grow up to be problems to themselves.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »
Here's an example:

Michael Riera, published in 1995:
    Consider, however, what happens when your child starts high school. Until this point, you have acted as a "manager" in your child's life: arranging rides and doctors' appointments, planning outside or weekend activities, helping with and checking on homework. You stay closely informed about school life, and you are usually the first person your child seeks out with "big" questions. Suddenly, none of this is applicable. Without notification, and without consensus, you are fired from the role of manager. Now you must scramble and restrategize; if you are to have meaningful influence in your teenager's life through adolescence and beyond, then you must work your tail off to get rehired as consultant. And this is how it should be!
    From Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers, by Michael Riera (Celestial Arts, 1995), p4.[/list]

Malcolm Gauld's blog, quoting Riera in November of 2005:
      "...San Francisco Bay Area psychologist Michael Riera noted that
    parents naturally assume the role of 'Parent as Manager' when their children are young. However, he stressed that it is essential that parents must expect to get fired when their child hits the teen years. "Get over it," says Riera, "and get rehired as a consultant." "[/list]

Malcolm Gauld, quoted in 'Breaking News' article on Struggling Teens, October 2008:
      "
    When your son or daughter becomes a teenager, you must prepare to be fired," explains Malcolm. "Get over it and get rehired as a consultant. Remember, the goal of good parenting is in fact to put yourself out of a job."[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
    "Flying in the face of our culture's focus on having good relationships with our kids, is the manager/consultant philosophy of renowned educators and parenting experts Laura and Malcolm Gauld..."

I guess the Gaulds are now the ones who came up with the "manager/consultant philosophy"? How much of "The Biggest Job" has other — similar "unreferenced" origins?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Rose Mulligan - on parenting
    « Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:28 AM »
    Rose Mulligan steps up to the microphone. Is that really Rose Mulligan? It sounds just like Malcolm or Laura Gauld... or Jennifer Burns... or cult member XX?? I've lost track of how many mouthpieces there are out there; they sound so much alike.

It's the same old story: kids are spoiled brats with raging hormones and no sense of responsibility or ethics, parents are weak spineless wusses that give in to these teenaged tyrants, and Hyde School has "The Answer" to all these perennial problems and more. Call your local recruiter now.

This essay follows on the heels of a Lon Woodbury piece titled "What Young Adults Need!" It would appear, according to the Parent-Choice Industry, that what they need is to be subjected to expensive elitist behavior modification by approved suppliers, and that this will swing the needle on the family health-o-meter from "Dysfunctional" to "Thriving."

Do parents realize that they are being subjected to a not unrelated form of coercive behavior modification called "high-pressure marketing?"   :eek:

From the Struggling Teens website:

Essays
    Posted: Jun 8, 2009

'NEEDY' PARENTS - CREATING CULTURE OF ENTITLED KIDS

By Rose Mulligan

Examples of American families living out of balance are easily found in today's pop-culture phenomenon of reality-based television programming. And it's easy to watch these shows and condemn the children and their outrageous behavior. But who's really to blame?

In the television program 'The Super Nanny,' viewers watch a child care professional enter the lives of families ruled by spoiled, out-of-control children in an attempt to put the parents back in control. The MTV hit, 'My Super Sweet Sixteen,' documents extravagant birthday celebrations in which parents lavish their entitled teenagers with expensive gifts to avoid their wrath.

"Parents have become needy," says parenting and education expert Malcolm Gauld. "They have created situations in their homes that have spiraled out of control and many are desperate to find help and don't know where to turn."

Rather than serve as mentors and disciplinarians in their children's lives, parents are choosing to become their friends. It's an effort to win over their children's approval and maintain harmony in the home, but it has the unintended results of lowering the bar and causing a shift in the balance of power in the household - moving it from the parents to the children.

This parenting trend is spawning a generation of kids who feel and act entitled, who do not respond well to any kind of authority and who are accustomed to being coaxed and manipulated with monetary rewards and empty compliments.

"Parents have become ineffectual in their efforts to reign in bad behavior and address the kind of attitudes most of us don't like to be subjected to, much less see when we're out in the world," says Gauld. "Somewhere, somehow parents stopped paying attention to the kind of people they're offering up to the world and more attention to how to make and keep their kids happy."

But this harmful trend, says Gauld, is not irreversible. Gauld and his wife, Laura - who co-authored the parenting book, The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have and who deliver workshops based on the book's principles - offer a blueprint for shifting this course, which includes four guiding principles:

Parents: understand the job - The foundation of parenting lies in a strong understanding of the responsibilities. Most of the unproductive habits parents pick up stem from the roles they "want" to play in their child's life rather than from the role they "need" to play. Many adults parent in reaction to their own parents, rather than take the best from their life experiences, and learn from, accept and appreciate the struggles they overcame and apply that wisdom to how they raise their kids.

Raise children to be accountable - Life requires young people to work hard, stick with things they don't always want to do, and develop the inner strength to connect their dreams to an action plan. If parents do for their kids what they should do for themselves, they take away opportunities to develop the traits necessary to face life's challenges with grit and dignity.

Build family traditions - The big picture of raising children is done with the actions, routines, and practices that make up a lifetime of memories, habits and character. It is never too late to start a family tradition, and often the value of these actions is seen looking back on one's upbringing.

Example is the true legacy to a child - Parents' own character development will trump any successes and talents they think will inspire their children. Children are more inclined to develop high expectations for themselves when they see hard work and strong principles modeled and they are given a fine balance of space and direction to test that example on their own. Parents should tackle fears, find the courage to pursue dreams and, most importantly, model the curiosity to continue to grow.

A high school educator for more than 30 years and parenting expert, Gauld and his wife Laura address the parental "letting go" process and other issues with parents and families in their schools and the workshops.

"We try to help parents understand that what they do, what they pay attention to is what they reinforce in their kids' lives. And if they're worried because their kids are unprepared to take on the challenges of independent life, they have to take a look at what they pay attention to and maybe back off."

For more information on Malcolm and Laura Gauld, The Biggest Job book and workshops, and Hyde Schools, contact Rose Mulligan, Media Outreach at 207-837-9441 or by email at: [email protected]

Copyright © 2009, Woodbury Reports, Inc.