Author Topic: YOU AINT GONNA BELIEVE THIS SHIT  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
YOU AINT GONNA BELIEVE THIS SHIT
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »
OK somebody tellme im seeing things. GOOGLE straight inc,philadelphia,pa and tell me what you get. This has to be a joke. I mean would anybody in their right mind name a drug treatment outfit STRAIGHT INC.   IM at a loss. ::OMG::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: YOU AINT GONNA BELIEVE THIS SHIT
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
It's an outpatient clinic. "Alcohol and drug abuse prevention?" According to their Manta profile, they have 3 employees and make an average of $130,000 per year (they are most likely "non-profit").

Director is noted as Calvin Ellison.

Two locations in Philadelphia; first address seems to be the official one, but the second one crops up in the googles:
  • 5119 Springfield Ave # 1, Philadelphia - (215) 727-9678
  • 1241 S 57th St, Philadelphia - (215) 472-2150

--=-- --=-- --=-- --=--

An aside: one of the early therapeutic communities dealing with "alcohol and drug abuse prevention" was located in Philly: Gaudenzia (sp?). Mid-1960's, if I remember correctly. One of its co-founders was that guy associated with Abraxas that Ginger asked about many months ago (can't remember his name at the moment).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:35:23 PM by Ursus »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
If there is a god, he's telling me to send a few souls to his door tonight
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
Its gotta be connected somehow,like an x straightling or some thing,the irony is too much.When I saw it I thought Id lost my frghydsv mind

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Calhoun Associates
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »
This post is mainly about a consulting company. If you can't stand to read it all, skip to the last part which contains the red highlights.

Calhoun Associates helps businesses incorporate as non-profits. From their home page and elsewhere on their site:

Obtaining and maintaining a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status is crucial to the success of many organizations. We provide the tools and knowledge to help you keep your organization’s exempt status intact.

Calhoun Associates is a full service company representing clients in Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery and Lancaster counties.

We also service clients in Central New Jersey and NYC, New York
    [/list]

- —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— -

From their page detailing non-profit benefits:

Benefits of Incorporating Non-Profit

(1) Tax exempt status. Organizations that meet the requirements of Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) are exempt from federal income tax as charitable organizations. Obtaining tax-exempt status can amount to significant savings.

(2) Grant eligibility. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit is eligible to receive both public and private grants.

Personal asset protection. The responsibility of debts and liabilities of the corporation are not personally held against the officers, directors, trustees or members of the corporation.

(3) Tax-deductible donations. Contributions given to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation are tax-deductible by the donor.

(4) Continuity. The corporation's duration does not depend upon its members. A nonprofit corporation can continue to exist and do business if an owner dies or wishes to sell their interest.

(5) Special postage rates. Nonprofits can apply for and receive a mailing permit that gives them a special reduced nonprofit rate for mailings. This is especially helpful for organizations that will do a lot of solicitation by mail.

(6) Property tax exemptions. In addition to an exemption from income taxes, nonprofits are usually exempt from paying property taxes on real estate and other property. Contact your county assessor's office for more information on property tax exemption, which is often called a "welfare exemption."
        [/list]

Characteristics of a Nonprofit Corporation

(a) Qualifications for membership are defined in the bylaws.

(b) There are no owners or stockholders in a nonprofit corporation.

(c) Classes of membership can include voting and non-voting members.

(d) Nonprofit corporations are managed by a board of directors elected by the voting members.

(e) Benefit of membership is the only allowable personal gain.
          [/list][/list]

- —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— -

From their Customer Testimonials page, all that there was; red colored emphasis mine:

"Very knowledgable, professional and a pleasure to work with."
              Daisy Kahn. Executive Director
              American Society for Muslim Advancement
              NYC, New York
              [/list]
              "They have extensive background in the Non-Profit field which has provided them with an  unique skill set..."
                Calvin Ellison, Executive Director
                Straight, Incorporated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                [/list]
                "If there is one thing I have learned . . . it's the importance of quality consultants and the relationships you build with those Consultants. based on loyalty. The loyalty that Calhoun Associates has shown towards Straight Inc is unparalleled."
                  Gerald Jones, President / Ceo
                  Straight, Incorporated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
                  [/list][/color]
                  "A welcome addition to our back office. due to their efforts a dramatic increase in cash flows"
                    Kristin Applgett, President / Ceo
                    Princeton Chamber of Commerce
                    Princeton, New Jersey
                    [/list]
                    "Diligent, committed & professional"
                      Penelope Grodenchik, Controller
                      Gaudenzia, Inc, Pennsylvania
                      [/list][/list][/color]

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                        • http://www.pfctruth.com
                      « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:53:45 AM »
                      I google'd it and found all types of drug and alcohol counseling stuff. Doesn't seem like a non-profit consulting firm to me.

Very Shady, Looks like something is going on, what it is I don't know. But I don't like it at all.

We should keep an eye on this, good thread! Something's not right.
                      Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »
                      Quote from: "wdtony"
                      I google'd it and found all types of drug and alcohol counseling stuff. Doesn't seem like a non-profit consulting firm to me.

Very Shady, Looks like something is going on, what it is I don't know. But I don't like it at all.

We should keep an eye on this, good thread! Something's not right.

You misunderstood me. Perhaps I was too obtuse. I never said it was a "non-profit consulting firm."

I said it was somehow involved in alcohol/drug counseling, and that it appeared to be non-profit:
                      Quote from: "Ursus"
                      It's an outpatient clinic. "Alcohol and drug abuse prevention?" According to their Manta profile, they have 3 employees and make an average of $130,000 per year (they are most likely "non-profit").

I made the subsequent post about the consulting firm (a different enterprise) because I found it noteworthy that this particular firm -- which happens to specialize in helping businesses become non-profits -- may possibly have a soft spot for helping alcohol/drug abuse prevention organizations which utilize coercive group methods become non-profits. Fully half of their customer testimonials are from businesses specializing in "alcohol and drug abuse prevention." And, the one we do know about, Gaudenzia, is a therapeutic community going way back. Chances are, this (new?) "Straight, Inc." in Philadelphia may well be of similar philosophy.
                      « Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:38:38 PM by Ursus »

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                        • http://www.pfctruth.com
                      « Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
                      Ursus:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. My mistake. I read thorough all of this pretty fast and misunderstood.
                      Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      « Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
                      Quote from: "wdtony"
                      Ursus:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. My mistake. I read thorough all of this pretty fast and misunderstood.

Nah, nah... I'm sure I was being too obscure. Thanks for giving me the chance to restate it all a little more clearly.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      « Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
                      They are not so "new;" they've been classified as tax-exempt/nonprofit since 1999. That fact, and yet another address, from the following link. Financial stats noted with an asterisk (*) are available in spreadsheet form for a small price from a link on that page (includes all tax exempt/nonprofit organizations in that zip code; as of today there are 152 of them).

From: Philadelphia, PA 19120 Tax Exempt/NonProfit Organizations

Organization Name
                        STRAIGHT INC (c/o GERALD JONES)
                      Address
                        5946 LAWNDALE ST, Philadelphia, PA 19120
                      Classification
                        Charitable Organization (Alcohol, Drug Abuse, Prevention & Treatment)
                      Reported Asset Amount
                      Reported Income Amount
                      Form 990 Revenue Amount
                      Exempt Status As Of Date
                        07/1999

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
                      « Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
                      OK, please take this as you may. I called these folks in Philly at 2PM today and spoke to a man named Gerald. I  think he said Jones, but don't quote me on that last name. Bein a Vietnam vet, he was quite impressed, in a negative manner mind you, with the story I gave him about the drug treatment program called straight inc. He never heard of it and he wants EVERYONE to know that his business is NOT related to the treatment program we went through. His non-profit works with ADULT MEN to find housing for them while they deal with addiction/criminal type issues. NO TREATMENT!!! He is sending me a brochure, so when I get it I'll scan it and post it somewhere. Without me even mentioning it, he said he understands ALL ABOUT PTSD, and said "those people (programmies) have no business doing what they're doing to those kids".

At this point, please just relax and know that this business is NOT related to the "program", other than the wild and wacky coincidence of having that name.

If you have any questions or what have you about it, please call them. Thank you, MG8

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      « Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
                      LOLS!! Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Thank you kindly, Rusty Goat, for making that phone call and setting us all straight, pun intended. Color my face crimson!

(Now...WHERE are those bowing emoticons?)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
                      « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »
                      If that is truly what it is im real ok with that, should I find out difftrnt I dunno how ill act.Maybe not well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
                      « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
                      I know 2 survivors who's talents for over twenty years have the investigative skills, experience perhaps could well do what they do best. DONT misunderstand this at all. All of us have talents in a huge variety of areas all of which are beneficial to the cause to no lesser or greater degree. All armies put people where their talents lie. Has anyone thought to ask the two of them if they would be willing to do a little "research". We know who they are but I have not seen either of them in a LONG time. We have ISAC who seems to making inroads in WASP, we have survivors who are excellent at making sure we have a meeting place no matter what, we have survivors that are great at getting the word out. We also have 2 survivors who are good investigator and great at taking it to them
                      Perhaps if you are friends with them it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
                      « Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
                      Hey, if anybody does talk to them, please invite them to take a look at Fornits.