Author Topic: Hurricane Ike - Update  (Read 4541 times)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Hurricane Ike - Update
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »
Update 09_16_2008:

We now have periodic phone service. I am still at my parents and it is still not a good situation. I went to my apartment and took pictures today. They have started cleanup but have not started to reassemble my A/C unit. Electricity remains out for most of complex. There are shingle everywhere you step. I went to remove the drop cloths and towels I used to keep water from getting into the apartment and discovered they were drenched. I immediately retaped the drop cloths over the windows and left the towels in place. I emptied the fridge and turned it off for fear of mold. It stinks in from emptying out the fridge. There are lots of branches and tree limbs everywhere. The few living there are partying the day away. They are on the bottom floor so they don't have to worry about roof leaks like I do. I had mold from Rita and it will worsen now due to the heat in the apartment. Our management off is not present for my section. I have to go to another section to report problems.

Trying to find a new place to live or get into FEMA hotel for awhile. Starting that next online. This sucks. Those of you who think I am a mooch can take a hike. I stayed here to care for elderly parents in their 80's who refused to leave. Now I am stuck here until I can find a hotel to go to. If you guys have advice please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very depressed at this point. Living with parents that never liked you much to begin with is not easy.

Iamartsy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike - Update
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
9/18/2008 - UPDATE

FEMA has let me into the hotel program until Oct. 14th. Unfortunately, it is out of Houston, which means I have to find a new apartment before I leave. Rain leaked through the bedroom windows, but fortunately, I had put down towels to absorb that. They were sopping wet, and moldy. The apartment complex stated that rain coming through windows is normal. Yepper?

They also laughed about the big mildew spot growing in my closet. Moving will not be fun, especially on the fly.

Please don't drown out this post like you guys did on the last round. It is rude. I am in Houston not Galveston. I am not even sure why you chose to drown out this post.

Many of us here are hurting both mentally and financially. My apartment is still w/o power, w/o a/c, and w/o hot water. So the FEMA hotel program was necessary. My complex is far down the list to be repaired. There are shingles, tree limbs, glass, and bent light posts everywhere. It feels like a scene out of "Lost".

Thanks to those to offered help. I might need it and will let you know or Psy can let you know how to reach me.

Take care and I hope no one else on this board is being left in a jam by this storm.

I am Artsy

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
Post Ike depression has hit badly. just want to sleep. Eating is necessary but the hotel does not make it convenient. Means I have to shower and dress. I know this is PTSD, and will go away. I talked to someone at the other end of my street and even she was shocked at the wreckage they are pulling out of my section. We had 22 people who needed to relocate. About 7 were not able to as the apartments are full or damaged. I am waiting 2 weeks for mold remediation due to debris needing to be removed first.

The depression is bad and I guess it does not belong here. Sorry folks. It is here.
Photos for you.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hurricaneike/pool/

Iamartsy

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:00:48 AM »
Well, I left the hotel on Oct. 6th, because I was sick and needed to get to Houston to see a doc. I saw one in Austin, but really needed to see one here. I also had my face to face with FEMA. It is alot of paperwork, so we will see. They no longer replace food. Although they might pay for the water damage to the bedroom. I still have to get my windows sealed and finish killing mold on the windowsills. I finally got rid of the smell in the refrigerator and freezer. Clorox has become my good friend, but the fumes bother me. I really want to go back to Austin, as the depression is back. Being around my family is hard, and the dust from the debris is hard on my breathing. The city is slowly picking up the debris, and some of the traffic lights are still not working.

As for my apartment complex, there are still shingles laying around, and they are just kind of rigging things back together. I have to sign a new lease tomorrow and will probably do it for just six months. I really don't want to stay here. I am not impressed with the new management company.

So  there you have it. Sorry this is so depressing. The cleaning of mold and having to take prednisone has me down. It is like those menial tasks they make you perform in treatment so that you know you are lower in the caste system than the staff.

Here are the pics I took throughout the week after the storm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiag2 ... 482837613/

P.S. I just looked and FEMA turned me down for assistance for the mold removal. That was 500 dollars! Not a small amount. Mind you my FEMA worker had been drinking when he got here. When does this crap end? I guess it just has. Depression and no money sucks big. No I am not asking for money if that is what you are thinking. Besides you don't know who I am or what my address is. So don't go there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:27:18 AM »
Quote from: "iamartsy"
Well, I left the hotel on Oct. 6th, because I was sick and needed to get to Houston to see a doc. I saw one in Austin, but really needed to see one here. I also had my face to face with FEMA. It is alot of paperwork, so we will see. They no longer replace food. Although they might pay for the water damage to the bedroom. I still have to get my windows sealed and finish killing mold on the windowsills. I finally got rid of the smell in the refrigerator and freezer. Clorox has become my good friend, but the fumes bother me. I really want to go back to Austin, as the depression is back. Being around my family is hard, and the dust from the debris is hard on my breathing. The city is slowly picking up the debris, and some of the traffic lights are still not working.

As for my apartment complex, there are still shingles laying around, and they are just kind of rigging things back together. I have to sign a new lease tomorrow and will probably do it for just six months. I really don't want to stay here. I am not impressed with the new management company.

So  there you have it. Sorry this is so depressing. The cleaning of mold and having to take prednisone has me down. It is like those menial tasks they make you perform in treatment so that you know you are lower in the caste system than the staff.

Here are the pics I took throughout the week after the storm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiag2 ... 482837613/

P.S. I just looked and FEMA turned me down for assistance for the mold removal. That was 500 dollars! Not a small amount. Mind you my FEMA worker had been drinking when he got here. When does this crap end? I guess it just has. Depression and no money sucks big. No I am not asking for money if that is what you are thinking. Besides you don't know who I am or what my address is. So don't go there.

Hi artsy. I hope u don't mind me commenting on your unofficial blog, thereby mucking up your flow.

Is there anything you need help with now?

rapunzel

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:29 AM »
Hi artsy. I hope u don't mind me commenting on your unofficial blog, thereby mucking up your flow.

Thank you, but I think I am okay, and I hate to ask others for money. I really was about to plan a vacation but that got ruined by the storm. As for FEMA, I have had to swallow a 500 - 1000 dollar bill for clean up and food replacement. My FEMA worker had been drinking and appeared "comfortable" when he came here to do his assessment. I am debating another run to the food pantry as i have not made one since I left Austin and am still using that. Mostly, it sucks that the FEMA guy said I would get 500-700 without a problem, and that did not happen. $600 has set me back a fair bit, but I am grateful that my home is cleaned up again and now I just have to focus on moving forward and recouping my losses, through my artwork. If you want an anit-palin shirt let me know. Or some handmade jewelry for someone.

Sincerely,
Iamartsy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:50:38 AM »

Thank you, but I think I am okay, and I hate to ask others for money. I really was about to plan a vacation but that got ruined by the storm. As for FEMA, I have had to swallow a 500 - 1000 dollar bill for clean up and food replacement. My FEMA worker had been drinking and appeared "comfortable" when he came here to do his assessment. I am debating another run to the food pantry as i have not made one since I left Austin and am still using that. Mostly, it sucks that the FEMA guy said I would get 500-700 without a problem, and that did not happen. $600 has set me back a fair bit, but I am grateful that my home is cleaned up again and now I just have to focus on moving forward and recouping my losses, through my artwork. If you want an anit-palin shirt let me know. Or some handmade jewelry for someone.

Sincerely,
Iamartsy

Hope you are doing well artsy. Expect a p.m.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:42:42 AM »
I am hanging in there. Although, I am sick of seeing blue tarps and debris. I want to go to Galveston as I do every fall for the art shows, but it is pretty well off limits due to health concerns. I will probably move in 5 months. My apartment complex is still waiting for insurance money before they fix apartments. they rebuilt the buildings that collapsed, but the roof is still awaiting estimates. The new management is pretty weird. I went into my old apartment  the other night and the ceiling is completely brown from water damage.

This is a scary new fact I learned of today: http://texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=2868, while reading one of the many magazines that I subscribe to. Many of us have gotten sick with flu like symptoms, and the news has been saying it is due to stress and rapid climate changes. Gotta wonder. The folks in Galveston are getting even sicker with stomach type symptoms. Most nights, I do start coughing due to whatever pollution is in the air. That is normal in the summer but not in late October.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
Sounds like mold spore allergies. You need to get out of there. There are certain species of mold which are extremely toxic to humans, particularly to those who have been over-exposed and are hence sensitized to their presence. These molds especially like to feed on plaster, e.g., dampened ceilings. The dampness can end, but the spores are still there, dropping down into your airspace and aggravating your lungs, and always ready to restart a population surge anytime it rains or the ceiling gets damp again. Symptoms can present like asthma, potentially life-threatening if you are, indeed, allergic and don't already have an inhaler.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »
I agree. I paid 600 to have the mold at my place cleaned out. I could not breathe before I left. Unfortunately, the debris in the streets is adding to our poor air quality, and then there is the mold that blows our way from Galveston. That will stop soon with winter approaching. Not a good situation. We are having too many red ozone days. If you want to understand the ranking, go here: http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=stat ... #unhealthy

Part of the illness is mold, some is bacteria in mud (Galveston), and some is exhaustion. When I got sick it was a bit of exhaustion and dirty air. Thanks again .  

Ursus I think you should become a research librarian. I am not joking either. You have the brain for it. I unfortunately did too badly on the GRE's so I became an overly ethical social worker, because of what happened to me prior to being a social worker.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:02:29 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Sounds like mold spore allergies. You need to get out of there.

That's what I've been telling her.  My mom feels lethargic and miserable around her sister's house (which she has no problem with) because of all the mold.  Some people it bothers.  Some people it's completely toxic to.  If you're allergic to mold, and you're living in a moldy enviornment, get out of there.  You'll feel like shit and have a hard time getting anything done otherwise.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
My place is fine. The outside world is unbreathable. I am want to take a vacation and get out of here, but I spent my money on the mold remediation. Unfortunately, mold in the air has always been a problem in Houston. I am looking in Austin but mold is a problem there too . My lungs have cleared out since my apartment was done. I am also running one of two HEPA machines and need to get more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Sounds like mold spore allergies. You need to get out of there.

That's what I've been telling her.  My mom feels lethargic and miserable around her sister's house (which she has no problem with) because of all the mold.  Some people it bothers.  Some people it's completely toxic to.  If you're allergic to mold, and you're living in a moldy enviornment, get out of there.  You'll feel like shit and have a hard time getting anything done otherwise.

It's serious and insidious. Any cold or flu that's going around, you will get, and you will get it worse than anyone else, and it will somehow never go away until you get out of that environment. It saps all of your energy because your body is constantly fighting the "invaders" and mounting an exaggerated immune response.

I am also running one of two HEPA machines and need to get more.

I highly recommend Vornado, whichever model you can afford; even the smallest one, the #15, is a little work horse and will last you for years. The thing that usually breaks first on this kind of machine is the fan. Vornado got their start in this business making fans for WWII aircraft; can't get get much sturdier than that. I still have every single Vornado fan, humidifier, air cleaner, and heater that I ever bought (and some were bought used) and each is still fully functioning (of course, I also take them apart and clean them once every year or two as well). The only drawback that I can think of regarding these products is the filter cost and availability. My solution is buying them on eBay in multiples, and storing them until needed.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
Do you know about this one. http://www.natlallergy.com/prod/1638/iq ... ation.html
The only thing they have found in my lungs is candida albicans (fungus). Believe me i have had a few lung biopsies this year. Fluconazole helped but it is hard on the liver. The lupus is in my lungs mostly. My choices of meds are methotrexate and Humira. All of them scare me. I already had reactiions to Cellcept and Imuran and Prednisone (I am pretty heavy from it). I have always weighed 105-110 and now weigh 125. I hate it. I am a small person so that is alot of weight. I  am going to move to a place without a swamp cooler. My A/C bill will go up but so be it. I also won't have as much space to do art in. That will stink, but I like the neighborhood and it is smaller and quieter. My complex was bought out and is going downhill.

I keep wondering how the hell I got the lupus. Was it the TC, or something in my home, the extra MMR shot in Grad school. Who knows. All i can do is fight it and travel to cooler places as much as possible. I love Denver and would like to move there, but don't know it well. Anyone here  know it?

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »
I am quite depressed over my living situation. It is hard to live here day in and day out. The condition of my apartment complex has really affected me. Hearing the tarps flap and the carport crunch day in and day out is very hard to deal with. Also the crime against me (I was almost attacked or harmed in some way 2 months ago) has left me quite agitated. I don't know my place in with this world when no one will rent to me due to my limited income. I have a decent credit score but it does not matter to the apartment complexes. They just care about my damned income. So I am stuck in this depressing hellhole. It has become very hard to deal with. I really see very little hope anymore. I can't deal with spending the rest of my life in this apartment. I am not going to do anything drastic so don't flip out, but I have lost all the hope I have ever had. There is really nothing left to enjoy or make me happy. I want an expensive camera, but I would be too scared to carry it. Additionally, my family criticizes me when I want to buy a 2000.00 camera. Am I not allowed to get joy out of something in this damned world! I am back in that hellish place, I go, like before I got sent away. I will never allow that to happen again.