Author Topic: Hyde "Philosophy"?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde "Philosophy"?
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
Is this guy for REAL? Hyde philosophy -> Jean Paul Satre? "Hyde saved my life?"

HYDE ALUMNI CEREMONY (Carlos Moyano YouTube)

Videos: 3
Added: April 29, 2008 (Less info)
HYDE WOODSTOCK SCHOOL ALUMNI CELEBREATION 2007
Category:  Education
Tags:
HYDE  WOODSTOCK  ALUMNI  CELEBRATION  CARLOS  MOYANO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Hyde "Philosophy"?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:13 PM »
If Jean Paul Sartre saw this, he would roll over in his grave. Or die a second death, laughing his ass off. It would give an additional layer of meaning -- and probably visceral translation -- to his novel Nausea.

Nothing against Carlos Moyano, who I do not know, and who probably was merely delivering the requisite kiss-Hyde's-ass and give-good-press to get his diploma at a belated date, but... I cannot think of a famous dead character more antithetical to the "philosophy" of Hyde School than Jean Paul Sartre.

And nothing against Existentialism either, which I've always considered a more or less solitary pursuit, and which doesn't exactly translate well into a group-think modality, but... that hasn't stopped the marketers of the LGATs and the behavior modification camps from trying it out on the less schooled masses. As it is sometimes said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Werner Erhard (of est/The Forum/Landmark Education fame) also fancied himself such a "connoisseur" of the Existentialists. In his case, the attribution was usually (Martin) Heideggerian in nature, though I've also read of Sartre as being a source of such "inspiration."

I think these marketers just skim the surface of the interface of popular culture and academia, teasing out catchy phrases and whatnot that might work well at settling in people's mind for later recollection, not to mention the implied credibility such an association might bring... (Remember, Werner Erhard was first a salesman, as was Joe Gauld, if I remember correctly.)

In this case, I guess it all boils down to the "you're responsible for anything and everything that ever happens to you" school of thought, a creed assuredly espoused by Hyde School.

If Sartre attended Hyde, he would probably earn a moniker of "Jean Paul Two-Four," and they would probably have to refit the Dean's area to accommodate more or less permanent student living quarters. In time's past, he would have been made to wear a placard stating, "I hate the world because I hate myself." SERIOUSLY, can you just imagine him there, faced with his "legacy" distorted beyond all recognition... a more or less anarchistic free-thinker squashed into a rigid, morally righteous bastion of crushing conformity?

::puke::  YEAH!!  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
Did John Paul Rosenberg confuse himself with Jean Paul Sartre?

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:13:13 AM »
Harumph... I always thought ED was a real Werner wanna-be, har har har!!!

Ya don't exist, if'n ya don't exist at Hyde!
Joseph W. Gauld, Philosopher and Educator

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
Personally, I much prefer the esteemed Existentialist Collective better known as "M.P."

Monty Pythons Meaning of Life - Suicidal Leaves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1HVg_J7QA[/list]

Offline seamus

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
    Yeah Str8 also had an odd sort of "gestalt from hell" Philosophy, all the time talking that "well you did the nessicary things to ---------get there" shit. Kind of like Catholic guilt taken to the nth degree,it seemed to pre-empt any real issues that could have been dealt with,like say an  abusive parent,or depression,kind of a blanket statement( or a whitewashing)
      It was like the good ol "no talking behind backs "rule what that really did was keep people from comparing notes,in other words a super subtle, back door version of "divide and conquer".
    It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »
    Quote from: "seamus"
    It was like the good ol "no talking behind backs "rule what that really did was keep people from comparing notes,in other words a super subtle, back door version of "divide and conquer".

So true. "No talking behind backs," that is, you are supposed to voice your concerns for the welfare of someone's "character" to their face, or in Seminar/Discovery Group. Judging by the amount of blind-siding going on in the latter, the former doesn't happen nearly as much as it is "supposed to." Concerns about how things are run are supposed to be voiced to the staff privately...right. In other words, there is no such thing as a legitimate concern about that.

Kids aren't supposed to compare notes. But it is the business of faculty and staff to compare notes, pass judgment, and make decisions affecting kids' lives, including what is to be told the parents and the Hyde community regarding how to interpret events, let alone which events are allowed to become public. The degree and depth of dishonesty that pervades the place is above and beyond anything that could ever by cultivated by any institution save one whose primary modus operandi is based on coercion.

The above statements are my opinions regarding a matter I perceive as being of public interest.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:14:25 AM »
    I think what all of these places have in common with existentislism is the diea that nothing is innate so we "create" a social paradigm. The one that is created by these places just so happens to be bizarre.
    n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 01:37:54 AM »
      "The real point to the est Training was to go down through layer after layer after layer after layer, until you got to the last layer and peeled it off, where the recognition was that it's really all meaningless and empty. That's Existentialism's endpoint.

Est went a step further in that people began to recognize that it was not only meaningless and empty, but it was empty and meaningless that it was empty and meaningless. And in that there's an enormous freedom. All the constrictions, all of the rules you've placed on yourself are gone, and what you're left with is nothing. And nothing is an extraordinarily powerful place to stand, because it is only from nothing that you can create. And from this nothing people were able to invent a life allowing them to create themselves."

-Werner Erhard
      [/list]

---- ---- ----

(HOW much did people pay to hear this stuff?)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:47:56 AM »
      :rofl:  With the "new" Hyde-Hoffman process infecting the school, shouldn't be long before people recognize that the whole Hyde game is "meaningless and empty" too.