Author Topic: The Homes started by Lester Roloff  (Read 13955 times)

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
The Homes started by Lester Roloff
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
The Homes started by Lester Roloff include:
The City of Refuge (for men), the Jubilee Home (for women), the Lighthouse (for younger men), the Rebekah Home (for teenage girls), the Anchor Home (for teenage boys), the Bethesda Home (for teenage girls), and the Peaceful Valley Home (for retired Christians).
The last work he helped to start was a mission work with American Indians, called Regeneration Reservation, which is located at Fort Thomas, Arizona.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Re: The Homes started by Lester Roloff
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:01:23 PM »
From a website that still broadcasts the Family Altar Program (Lester Roloff's sermons):
Today the People's Baptist Church founded by the late Brother Roloff operate four homes for troubled persons: City of Refuge (men ages 26 and older), Lighthouse (men 18 to 25), and Jubilee Home (ladies 18 and older), plus a 90-day Faith Family Institute for teenage girls. Headquarters for the Roloff Evangelistic Enterprises is a 557-acre ministry complex and farm near Corpus Christi, Texas. The work also includes a local Christian day school and radio station. A mission to Native Americans, the Regeneration Reservation, cofounded by Brother Roloff, continues to proclaim the gospel in Fort Thomas, Arizona.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »
From the Roloff website:

Brother and Mrs. Raymond Palmer became superintendents of a new home for young girls in Corpus Christi, but because of State interference, moved the operation to Mississippi where they presently operate Happiness Hill Home For Girls. Their daughter, Cheryl, was one of the four girls who lost their lives along with Brother Roloff when his plane crashed.

Another work, the Lighthouse Prison Ministry, was started in 1997 by Brother John Downs, a graduate of the Roloff Homes in Corpus Christi. He has regular services in the Harris Country Jail and in prisons near Houston, Texas, including inmates on Death Row.

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
From the Fairview Baptist Church website:

Also, while in Corpus Christi he founded two rescue missions and the work for which he is best remembered, six homes for people in need. These homes are:

1. CITY OF REFUGE: a home for women who are alcoholics and drug addicts (Note: The website got this wrong, it's a home for MEN.)
   2. JUBILEE HOME: a home for women who are alcoholics and drug addicts
   3. THE LIGHTHOUSE: a home for boys and young men with drug or alcohol problems
   4. THE REBEKAH HOME FOR GIRLS: a home for girls who are runaways, prostitutes, alcoholics or drug addicts
   5. ANCHOR HOME FOR BOYS: a home for boys who are runaways, alcoholics, or drug addicts
   6. PEACEFUL VALLEY HOME: a home for older or retired Christians

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
To bad he didn't crash his plane, with no one in it but him, before he founded these pits.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
Hellen Peterman of good ol' str8 fame hed knowlege of some of these programs. She told us how "bad " they were , but allthings are relative y' know.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »
The sad truth is that he knew of the weather conditions and got in that plane and took off anyway, with four passengers who all perished because of his utter hubris.  The report is as follows:

NTSB Identification: FTW83FA031
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, November 02, 1982 in NORMANGEE, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 11/2/1983
Aircraft: CESSNA P210N, registration: N612J
Injuries: 4 Fatal.
A COMPANY PLT RECEIVED TWO WX BRIEFINGS FROM THE SAN ANTONIO FSS, ONE WAS AT ABOUT 1700 THE DAY BEFORE THE ACCIDENT & THE OTHER ON 11/2. AFTER EACH WX
BRIEFING THE COMPANY PLT BRIEFED THE PLT OF THE ACCIDENT ACFT. THE ACFT DEPARTED AT ABOUT 0835. AT 0953 THE PLT CONTACTED FLIGHT WATCH & WAS ADVISED OF
A CONVECTIVE SIGMET OF EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS. AT 1001 THE PLT REQUESTED & WAS CLEARED TO FL190. THIS WAS THE LAST RADIO CONTACT WITH THE ACFT. IN
FLIGHT SEPARATION OF THE WINGS, VERTICAL & HORIZONTAL STABILIZERS OCCURRED. THE ACFT PENETRATED A DENSE AREA OF THUNDERSTORMS WITH ACTIVITY UP TO
INTENSE (LEVEL 5) & PROBABLY ENCOUNTERED SEVERE TURBULENCE. IN ADDITION THERE WOULD PROBABLY BEEN MODERATE TO SEVERE ICING IN RAIN SHAFTS WITHIN THE
THUNDERSTORMS AT THE ACFT'S FLIGHT ALTITUDE. THE 0817 WX BRIEFING WAS INADEQUATE IN THAT THE AREA FORECAST WHICH WARNED OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY
ENROUTE WAS NOT UTILIZED.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
FLIGHT INTO KNOWN ADVERSE WEATHER..CONTINUED..PILOT IN COMMAND
FLIGHT CONTROLS..IMPROPER USE OF..PILOT IN COMMAND
DESIGN STRESS LIMITS OF AIRCRAFT..EXCEEDED..PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing Factors
PREFLIGHT BRIEFING SERVICE..INADEQUATE..ATC PERSONNEL(FSS)
WEATHER CONDITION..THUNDERSTORM
WEATHER CONDITION..TURBULENCE(THUNDERSTORMS)
WEATHER CONDITION..ICING CONDITIONS

Offline Kim S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:35 AM »
Quote from: "hurrikayne"
The sad truth is that he knew of the weather conditions and got in that plane and took off anyway, with four passengers who all perished because of his utter hubris.  The report is as follows:

NTSB Identification: FTW83FA031
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, November 02, 1982 in NORMANGEE, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 11/2/1983
Aircraft: CESSNA P210N, registration: N612J
Injuries: 4 Fatal.
A COMPANY PLT RECEIVED TWO WX BRIEFINGS FROM THE SAN ANTONIO FSS, ONE WAS AT ABOUT 1700 THE DAY BEFORE THE ACCIDENT & THE OTHER ON 11/2. AFTER EACH WX
BRIEFING THE COMPANY PLT BRIEFED THE PLT OF THE ACCIDENT ACFT. THE ACFT DEPARTED AT ABOUT 0835. AT 0953 THE PLT CONTACTED FLIGHT WATCH & WAS ADVISED OF
A CONVECTIVE SIGMET OF EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS. AT 1001 THE PLT REQUESTED & WAS CLEARED TO FL190. THIS WAS THE LAST RADIO CONTACT WITH THE ACFT. IN
FLIGHT SEPARATION OF THE WINGS, VERTICAL & HORIZONTAL STABILIZERS OCCURRED. THE ACFT PENETRATED A DENSE AREA OF THUNDERSTORMS WITH ACTIVITY UP TO
INTENSE (LEVEL 5) & PROBABLY ENCOUNTERED SEVERE TURBULENCE. IN ADDITION THERE WOULD PROBABLY BEEN MODERATE TO SEVERE ICING IN RAIN SHAFTS WITHIN THE
THUNDERSTORMS AT THE ACFT'S FLIGHT ALTITUDE. THE 0817 WX BRIEFING WAS INADEQUATE IN THAT THE AREA FORECAST WHICH WARNED OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY
ENROUTE WAS NOT UTILIZED.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
FLIGHT INTO KNOWN ADVERSE WEATHER..CONTINUED..PILOT IN COMMAND
FLIGHT CONTROLS..IMPROPER USE OF..PILOT IN COMMAND
DESIGN STRESS LIMITS OF AIRCRAFT..EXCEEDED..PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing Factors
PREFLIGHT BRIEFING SERVICE..INADEQUATE..ATC PERSONNEL(FSS)
WEATHER CONDITION..THUNDERSTORM
WEATHER CONDITION..TURBULENCE(THUNDERSTORMS)
WEATHER CONDITION..ICING CONDITIONS

What the F****  You want to complain about your experience... go ahead... I have them too!  You do not know my friends that died and your use of them to make your claims feel realistic PISSES ME OFF!  YOU did not know Enola, Sue, or Cheryl, or even Elaine (which I did not know personally), so posting this about their death is what? Make you feel better?  Why?  Roloff was a good pilot and find me where he did anything different than the others.  I am sorry for your shit, and you have been right about a lot of stuff, but bitch about the shit you know.. do not pull my friends, my dead friends, into your bitching!

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »
Quote from: "Kim S"
What the F****  You want to complain about your experience... go ahead... I have them too!  You do not know my friends that died and your use of them to make your claims feel realistic PISSES ME OFF!  YOU did not know Enola, Sue, or Cheryl, or even Elaine (which I did not know personally), so posting this about their death is what? Make you feel better?  Why?  Roloff was a good pilot and find me where he did anything different than the others.  I am sorry for your shit, and you have been right about a lot of stuff, but bitch about the shit you know.. do not pull my friends, my dead friends, into your bitching!

1.  This was a presentation of facts.  I'm sorry they are painful to you.
2.  No, I couldn't have known those girls, which is why my only comment was to state that Lester Roloff's hubris killed them.
3.  What Roloff did that other 'good pilots' just like him did, was to disregard weather warnings and fly anyway.

If Lester Roloff was a "good pilot", I don't want a good one.  I want a fucking fabulous pilot.  One who won't get me killed.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »

2.  No, I couldn't have known those girls, which is why my only comment was to state that Lester Roloff's hubris killed them.
3.  What Roloff did that other 'good pilots' just like him did, was to disregard weather warnings and fly anyway.

If Lester Roloff was a "good pilot", I don't want a good one.  I want a fucking fabulous pilot.  One who won't get me killed.

The only Lester should have been piloting is a prison cell, for about 30 years. I bet that would have been fucking fabulous.

Offline Kim S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »

Last night, I was overwhelmed reading, much less remembering that day and days that followed.  I don't think about it because it hurts when I allow my self to remember them, going through their things from the crash and their dorm apartment.   I was going to delete, but then I think expression helps a lot, even if I'm not too proud of the way I put things!  I'm glad you posted back.