Author Topic: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT  (Read 21387 times)

Offline maruska

• View Profile
Re: Unita Academy, Wellsville, UT
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »
Thanks for answering my questions.
Can you tell me, why did you leave her there.... for 15 months?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
She was engaging in highly risky, dangerous behavior, flunking out of school and putting other family members in danger on a daily basis.  We were advised to find a safe place for her by a professional.  It was a tortuous decision.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
Quote from: "barelysurvivedit"
She was engaging in highly risky, dangerous behavior, flunking out of school and putting other family members in danger on a daily basis.  We were advised to find a safe place for her by a professional.  It was a tortuous decision.
All that is fairly subjective.  I've heard parents apply those terms to all sorts of things which may or may not necessarily be appropriate.  Risky, dangerous behavior could apply to just hanging around the boys or god forbid, having sex, depending on the parent.  "Flunking out" could mean she got a few 'B's instead of straight 'A's, again, depending on the parent. Putting family members "in danger" could apply to anything from smoking pot or drinking in the home, or all sorts of things...  and "professional" advice is highly dependent on the competence of the "professional" in concern.  

Any specifics?  I don't mean to imply that you sent your kid to program for minor reasons, but it would help us to understand if you clarified.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »
I will give you some examples.  The professional was a pediatric psychiatrist who was well trained and very experienced.  The flunking out of school was receiving staight "F's" in school.  The risky behavior involved  sneaking drug dealers into our house at night while we were sleeping.  People who bragged that they had killed other people and had criminal records.  The self destructive behavior included cutting, suicide attempts, taking rides in cars with strangers at night.  Our other children were put in dangerous situations.  Our daughter assaulted them and was quite abusive to them on a regular basis.  
     I don't think that any parent (at least we didn't) wants to send their child away.  Our thinking was that we she needed to get through high school and she needed to stop harming herself and putting herself in harm's way.  Although Uinta Academy was not a success for her, we did ultimately find another program that helped her complete a HS education and taught her some self preservation skills which have helped her.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
you mean another TBS...another program?!
So how long did your daughter live away from you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:14 PM »
2 1/2 years.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:56 PM »
Quote from: "barelysurvivedit"
I don't think that any parent (at least we didn't) wants to send their child away.  Our thinking was that we she needed to get through high school and she needed to stop harming herself and putting herself in harm's way.  Although Uinta Academy was not a success for her, we did ultimately find another program that helped her complete a HS education and taught her some self preservation skills which have helped her.

What was the other program, if you don't mind my asking...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »
Montcalm School for Girls in Van Wert, OH
It is run by a non-profit: Starr Commonwealth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46:41 AM »
http://www.montcalmschools.org/montcalm ... s-my-place

NO staff listed at mountcalm
NO staff listed at mountcalm
Red Flag. Or do medically accredited bodies often keep the identities of the doctors in their employ a secret?

Montcalm Schools
13725 Starr Commonwealth Rd
Albion, Michigan  49224
Toll Free: 866.244.4321
Local: 517.629.5591
Fax:    517.629.4650
Email: [email protected]

Montcalm Schools for Girls
15145 Lincoln Highway
Van Wert, Ohio  45891
Toll Free: (866) 244-4321
Local: (419) 238-4051
Fax:    (419) 238-5571
Email: [email protected]

Another red flag

Power of the Peer Group
Nobody has the right to hurt and everybody has the responsibility to help.  There’s a culture of caring at Montcalm and you’ll see it everywhere.  There is no ganging up here or deliberate provoking to get a reaction. This is a safe, nurturing environment where a girl can let her guard down and learn to trust.
= peer denunciation, using detainees to abuse other detainees, possibly restrain other detainees

Part of Something Bigger
Helping young people develop a stronger foundation of social interest allows them to discover in themselves what it really means to be connected to the world they live in.  It’s that “missing piece” that solidifies a strong and healthy self-concept.  At Montcalm, students are not only encouraged and guided to help other group members in daily activities, but to join together as a group to help people in their communities.  
= slavery, foced labor

Oh what you see when you've lived through it and can see through the window dressing

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »
To the parent, what state do you live in?  I want to withhold judgment, but why do I get the sense you live in neither Utah or Ohio.  The first placement is an understandable mistake.  But two separate placements in two RTC's thousands of miles away from each other, huh?  I pray for your sake and your daughter's sake that you live in Ohio or at least in a neighboring state.  I won't say that makes the decision to use Starr Commonwealth a good decision, just something that makes more sense.

Otherwise you really do sound like a parent who had an extremely difficult child, and you didn't want to be a parent to that child anymore, and found places far enough away from home that it wasn't reasonable for you to visit.  

From NYRA a post about Starr Commonwealth in Michigan:

Hey y’all. I’ve been lurking on this forum and I got to say I LOVE everyone here and their stories. It’s about time we show the world what these places are really like!

Starr Commonwealth must be stopped. I have a lot of INTERESTING TALES to tell you. <g> Understand that I’m not exaggerating or making up ANYTHING. It’s all 110% true so help me God.

They don’t help kids at all. They really suck. I was there for about three years. (1999 to 2001) They WOULD NOT LET ME LEAVE JUST BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T LIKE ME. It’s because they were homophobic and I wasn’t shy about being gay. I wasn’t a self-loather and it made people feel uncomfortable.

I am fueled with SO MUCH ANGER about it sometimes, but I’m glad that it’s a part of my life that’s over. I’m 23 now.

They claim they listen and they’re ‘therapeutic’ but it’s A BIG ASS LIEEEE. They only want you to think and act the way you tell them to. I could only escape by faking and not being myself for an entire year. Whatever the solution is to 'help' (that word sounds so condescending doesn't it?) teenagers who are socially outcasts that SURE AS HELL isn’t it. I wasn’t the one that needed to ‘change’ anyway, people that enjoyed bullying me needed to change. *sigh*

I just find it so ironic that a place that evil is trying to say how good and responsible it is. It seriously makes me sick to my stomach.

The biggest evil bitch there was this woman named Renee Hunt. (real name to NOT protect the guilty) She would try to accuse me of being a sex offender and made up all this horrible shit about me. She turned everybody against me when I was well-liked. She was a total heartless monster, and I hope she gets ran over by a truck. (that would be hella funny) I mean to seriously destroy somebody’s reputation like that. That wasn’t right… what a nasty shrew!

You couldn’t talk about your real religious beliefs. You had to be a Christian and nothing else. They were sooo close-minded. They also believed in those chick tracts. They thought that shit was real, I kid you not! It was hilarious sometimes. They thought masturbation was wrong and evil.

“Sam, why don’t you tell us what the REAL ISSUE WAS.”
“Um nothing, I just didn’t want to go because I didn’t want to go?”
“THAT’S NOT TRUE AND YOU KNOW IT. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU GOT SEXUALLY ABUSED BY YOUR FATHER. WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO ‘GROOOM?” (Ms. Cunt’s favorite word!)
Me: “Uhh…”

NO MATTER WHAT I SAID THEY MENTIONED SEXUAL ABUSE. IT WAS HILARIOUS. Like that one Southpark episode kinda.

Finally, in order to leave I had to lie about a bunch a shit and say I was sexually abused and that I did stuff to little boys. And everybody else said ‘good job Sam’ for me telling an OUTRIGHT LIE. Trying to explain that I wasn’t a sexual victim or offender was POINTLESS as they would say you’re in ‘denial’ or some shit like that. Man, it was CRAZY! But I HAD TO DO THAT or I might not even have my freedom to this day.

Renee was so funny. One time she was all ‘DID I TELL YOU THAT STEVE (name changed for protection) WAS MASTURBATING TO ME WHEN I FIRST CAME?’ like 6 months after she met the guy. And I’m like ‘YOU BITCH. IF HE WAS DOING THAT, WHY DIDN’T YOU MENTION IT WHEN IT WAS HAPPENING? AND I THINK WE WOULD SEE SOMEBODY WANKING OFF TO YOUR UGLY FACE ANYWAY.’ Of course I couldn’t say that. Anytime I tried to stand up for myself and talk back to Renee she would try to threaten me with plans of ‘escalation.’ I almost hit her once but I’m so glad now that I didn’t! Even though she deserved it.

Staff would also lie and say you were masturbating WHEN YOU WEREN’T. I kid you not!!! As for the gay thing, they were naturally horny teenage boys, some were straight some were gay but of course they were going to experiment. What did they expect? No access to females at all….it was like prison really, so situational homosexuality was to be expected. I never had sex with anybody since they watched us so close but we would sometimes hold each other’s hands when nobody was looking…we were just starved for affection but they weren’t allowed to hug us or anything. (well some of them did it wasn’t ALL bad I think some people were just tricked into believing it was a nice place….so I did receive some nice hugs from staff members that made me feel like I was still human….)

I’m just glad that I’m alive today and that I was too intelligent to be brainwashed and that luckily I’m a big guy so nobody tried to mess with me physically. I thought about escaping but there was just too many people and I’m not a very physical person so I don’t know if I would outrun them. They were just messed up in the head really. I might have more stories that I’ll share later but yeah it was basically being wrongly accused of one horrible thing after the other.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
TO barelysurvivedit:  I'm confused, so it sounds like you lived in a nightmare and both your daughter and your family were grave danger.  Over those 15 months was she abusing you and her siblings, was she associating with drug dealer, was she using drugs. IS SHE FUCKING ALIVE TODAY?  You are one of those typical "the glass is half empty" parent that BLAMES everyone for your daughters mistakes and your failures to be parents.  Maybe that's the reason she spent 30 months between 2 programs.  Sad, very very sad!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:34 AM »
Quote from: "Yeah Right!"
TO barelysurvivedit:  I'm confused, so it sounds like you lived in a nightmare and both your daughter and your family were grave danger.  Over those 15 months was she abusing you and her siblings, was she associating with drug dealer, was she using drugs. IS SHE FUCKING ALIVE TODAY?  You are one of those typical "the glass is half empty" parent that BLAMES everyone for your daughters mistakes and your failures to be parents.  Maybe that's the reason she spent 30 months between 2 programs.  Sad, very very sad!
isnt this meant to be the forum where people just either ask and answer questions or post factual posts like blombowski did? why is this stuff in this forum? Psy? Ursus?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
Whoops.  Sorry bout that.  Forgot which forum this thread is in.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »
Where did my post go?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Where did my post go?
"Facility Questions and Answers" is moderated. Personal attacks, regardless of who they are aimed at, are not permitted.  If you want to blast somebody, you have the rest of the forum to do it in.  I don't particularly like moderating, but it's how this portion of the forum was set up, so it's what I have to do.  Sorry, but those are the rules.