Author Topic: Ranch For Adopted Kids Gone Wild  (Read 17753 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Re: Ranch For Adopted Kids Gone Wild
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
The study was inconclusive. She said she felt it had potential, but can't back it up. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME STUDY.

Furthermore, a Parent/Consumer satisfaction survey does not count as a fucking study. There is no basis for any findings, just that she feels it COULD be something that it currently is not.

Stop repeating shit we've already debunked as if if you repeat it enough it makes it true.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »
A portion from the study:

One hundred percent of parents and students that participated in this study said that they would recommend ASR to others…… My findings contradict the idea that making fundamental changes during late adolescence is nearly impossible (Loeber, 1991) and also dispel the myth that long-term treatment is detrimental to normal development. The most important finding of this study is that residential treatment for troubled adolescents has the potential to be extremely effective.

Here is a link:
What it takes to pull me through

The woman was a phd candidate from Colgate University and performed an independent study of one of the Therapeutic Boarding schools.

Here is the link for anyone interested in the facts:

http://groups.colgate.edu/cjs/student_papers/2002/VShapiro.pdf

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:29:37 PM by TheWho »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
I love watching Niles try to discredit a Phd and pulitzer prize winning author.  The desperation speaks for itself.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »
Quote from: "HDCGT"
I love watching Niles try to discredit a Phd and pulitzer prize winning author.  The desperation speaks for itself.

Its not that difficult.  Marcus is a paid consultant for the industry and Shapiro wrote that paper as a grad student.  Neither Marcus' book nor Shapiro's paper amount to long term, evidence based, peer reviewed, clinical studies.  Why is this so difficult a concept for you to grasp?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "HDCGT"

Its not that difficult.  Marcus is a paid consultant for the industry and Shapiro wrote that paper as a grad student.  Neither Marcus' book nor Shapiro's paper amount to long term, evidence based, peer reviewed, clinical studies.  Why is this so difficult a concept for you to grasp?

Where does it say he was paid by the industry?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
I don't know.  Go find it yourself.  Its been posted here several times and I don't have the time to look for it right now.  You either believe it or you don't.  If I have time later, I'll try and find it.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »
http://fornits.com/smf/http://www.forni ... 12#p225612

There's one, but I haven't found the 'source' yet.  Again, if I have time I'll dig it up....or maybe shoot Deb an email.  She'd know where it is.

Ah!  And I notice he works with Rudy Bentz!!!   :ftard:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:55 AM »
I don't know.  Go find it yourself.  Its been posted here several times and I don't have the time to look for it right now.  You either believe it or you don't.  If I have time later, I'll try and find it.

He is anything but working for the industry from what I can find.  I looked on line and found the following:

“Readers will find themselves pulling for four kids in crisis – and their parents – in this absorbing account.”
— Psychology Today

“Marcus deftly intersperse his sharp observations with heart-wrenching statistics about the often crushing pressures of modern teenage life.”
— Publishers Weekly

“An astonishing profile of troubled teens. Through his focus on particular teens and their families, Marcus highlights the complexities of modern adolescence. This is a revealing and engrossing look at the recovery process.”
— Booklist

The are no links to any portions of the industry that I can find.  You always promise to provide links but never do, Anne.  We are starting not to believe you.
Do you have anything from outside of fornits that states he works for the industry?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
Quote from: "JUIOT"
The are no links to any portions of the industry that I can find.  You always promise to provide links but never do, Anne.  We are starting not to believe you.
Do you have anything from outside of fornits that states he works for the industry?

You say that like I care.  I really could give a shit if you believe me or not.  As I stated above, either you do or you don't.  IF I have time, I'll find it.  If I don't, I won't.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
Quote from: "JUIOT"

You say that like I care.  I really could give a shit if you believe me or not.  As I stated above, either you do or you don't.  IF I have time, I'll find it.  If I don't, I won't.

Here is a link which shows his bio and afilliations and he is not connected to the industry at all from what I can see:

Dave Marcus

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »
It wouldn't be too smart a move to put on his own website that he's getting paid by the industry now would it?  Wouldn't leave much room for objectivity now, would it?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
It wouldn't be too smart a move to put on his own website that he's getting paid by the industry now would it?  Wouldn't leave much room for objectivity now, would it?

Seems to be smarter than you so far.  Talks about how he won the pulitzer prize.  Where is that link to your claims (outside of fornits).

You like to discredit people for no reason?  Why would you do that?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »
I'm not.  I stated what I had read about 2 years ago.  YOU don't believe it.  Fine, I hear ya.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
I'm not.  I stated what I had read about 2 years ago.  YOU don't believe it.  Fine, I hear ya.

Thanks, we will just stick with "You misunderstood".  In the mean time people can check for themselves:

Dave Marcus

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »
No. I dont' think I did misunderstand and I don';t need any help from you explaining what I feel or think.  Someone found it while digging around to find out about him.  Shortly after, that reference was missing when we tried to find it again.  What I believe happened, and this is just my opinion, is that when people DID find out he was getting paid by the industry it looked bad and he had the reference pulled. 

Oh, and just sign the fuck in already.