Author Topic: Any info on Discovery Academy? NATSAP??  (Read 4998 times)

Offline FreeTyler

• View Profile
Any info on Discovery Academy? NATSAP??
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
I have a friend who should not be there and we are trying to help him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Google DA and see what you find. You've probably seen these.

Ms. Bryant, a single parent, had given up custody of her son to his uncle after the young man began having difficulties in school.
She had raised her son and his older sister mostly as a single parent. Her husband died when her son was 5 years old and her daughter was 7.
She guided her children through the early years, and her photo album shows mostly happy times: the son doing wheelies on his bike, the daughter excelling in tennis, both children in baseball and skiing poses.
Her son began struggling academically, and after being diagnosed with what she termed a ?mild? learning disability, he was transferred into a program for special needs students during his middle school years. She pulled him out of the program because ?he did not belong there.?
As the years went on, her son began skipping school, getting suspended, sleeping late, not showing up for tutoring sessions and hanging with the wrong crowd.
Her brother had been asking for custody of the boy for a couple of years, and in April 2005, she relented, believing, she said, that her son would be placed in a school closer to home and that she would have full visitation rights.
It took her 30 days to learn the whereabouts of her son. She has seen him only twice since, and has not heard from him in the past four months.
The boy?s therapist at the Discovery Academy has recommended that he be separated from the influences that created the behavior and academic problems, and he is allowed visits from family members only by arrangement as a reward.
http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=87

http://www.isaccorp.org/discoveryacadem ... 29.06.html

Staff Pleads Guilty to Attempted Rape of a Student
http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#da

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »
http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#da

Clive McFarlane

Worcester Telegram & Gazette

March 29, 2006

So what do you do when you think your teenager is slipping away — skipping school, hanging with the wrong crowd, experimenting with illegal substances, falling further and further behind academically, and paying less and less attention to you?

For one Blackstone mother, the answer, when she caught her 15-year-old cutting class, was to buy a chain and two padlocks and shackle the daughter’s ankles to keep track of her.

When the two went outside the house, the girl was shackled to the mother’s wrist. At least that is how the police found them after making a routine traffic stop recently.

The Department of Social Services is looking into it, and who knows, if the parent’s tactic passes muster, padlocks and chains will become the next can’t-miss investment for those looking to corral troubled teenagers.

At the moment, of course, many parents and guardians are turning to the booming for-profit boot camps and behavior modification programs that have sprung up in this country and around the globe.

These programs, euphemistically called therapeutic boarding schools, wilderness programs and residential treatment centers, can cost from $2,000 to $8,000 a month. But what is cost when you are trying to save a kid’s life?

A year ago, Paula Bryant, a Shrewsbury resident, returned home to find that her 16-year-old son had been sent away by his uncle, who had custody of the young man, to the Red Cliffs ASCENT School, a boot camp in Utah, and later to the Discovery Academy, a clinical boarding school and wilderness program, also in Utah.

Among other things, the Discovery Academy sells parents and guardians on its higher-than-the-national-average SAT scores, and an equine-assisted therapy program that uses “the principles of natural horsemanship as a pattern for productive personal relationships.â€

Offline FreeTyler

• View Profile
thanks no-where man,
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »
got all that and more first day.

Looking for hidden info, SURVIVORS, etc...

Really want to read the posts that were censored by SLAPP on the DA Forum this is no longer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A couple of things, which have worked.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:52:52 PM »
[http://www.fornits.com/wiki/index.php?title=Discovery_Academy]Fornits Wiki page about Discovery Academy[/url]

I have found:

A Orem resident was convicted of attempted rape and written false statement after he had sex with a 16 year old teenager, who was detained at the facility: http://www.isaccorp.org/discoveryacadem ... 09.02.html

They are also mentioned in an article about a boy being held away from his mother by a relative: http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... 9&Itemid=2

They are also a part in a lawsuit brought against them from a mother to a boy, who is claimed to have been sexually assaulted by other detained teenagers: http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442, ... 00,00.html

Nothing much if you look at the industry in general, but read the wiki page and send some messages to members of the myspace group of former detainees. Maybe they also can help you with info.

I suspect that the address on the program homepage is not the right one. Based on google maps I can not locate the building they train horses in. A little help is needed.

But in order to free Tyler, I have an advice:

On Turnabout Ranch members of the family hide among the people in church and got the signature from a detainee, so she could be order into court where she got free. Of course she is now unable to return to utah before she is 18 because AEG have her mother a giftcard for 90 days of detention. Unfortunate she also have little contact with her siblings because all the siblings, who is minors are afraid that the giftcard can be used on them. There is a downside to all things here in life.

But how is it with relative to Tyler. Can you get some help, so he doesn't need to bend over in order to satisfy the stronger boys?

Offline FreeTyler

• View Profile
Help great, but with an edge?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:07:10 PM »
I am aware of all the cases you mentioned and I do appreciate reminding me about myspace.  They seem very angry on there and not all that intelligent about discussions....

Your last sentence was not appropriate or appreciated.

D.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
Quote from: ""FreeTyler""
Your last sentence was not appropriate or appreciated.

D.

You might want to keep in mind that English is not Wiki Researcher's first language.  

That said, the allusion he made is not far from the reality that sometimes goes on in these places; in fact, it IS occasionally the reality, as horrible as it is to say...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:24:25 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:30:41 PM »
Accidental duplicate post.  Please delete...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:25:45 PM by Guest »

Offline FreeTyler

• View Profile
The obvious is clear.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »
That is exactly why I am fighting for this child's freedom.  We have an entire team of compassinate and intelligent people putting hte legal peices together as fast as possible.

I personally have never been involved in such an evil situation and have only had about two weeks to learn about these misguided programs.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you have any knowledge of Discovery Academy survivors please...

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:37:35 PM »
Can't help much but if I hear of anything I'll pass it along. Check myspace and facebook. Live journal and bebo might have some likely canidates as well.

I do believe I saw something on the myspace page for cafety about Discovery academy.. You'll have to check yourself as my memory is a bit vague on the exact details.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
I personally do not have experience with them.  However, here are some bits and pieces I have been able to find (some of this material may duplicate that posted previous):

••  This was posted just over two years ago.  The email addy may well not be any good by this time, but perhaps this person knows more by now:
    Red Cliff Ascent is affiliated with Discovery Academy and Discovery Ranch. Does anyone have any feedback on or experience with either of these programs? Input is rather urgently needed. Please feel free to write to me directly at http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=132072#132072[/list]
    ••  A couple of other programs linked with Discovery Academy on this thread (only two pages, from earlier this year).  Some reassignment of students between these programs suggests a pretty close link.  Sounds like at least two of these programs deal with boys who have what are considered "maladaptive sexual behaviors."
    http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=20658

••  This is from an old post (April 2004).  The original link from which this material was gleaned is no longer functional; I just checked it.  Haven't checked whether it is on WebArchive though.
      Discovery Academy is located in Provo, UT and is a confirmedly abusive behavior modification program. DO NOT send your child to Discovery Academy. If your child is CURRENTLY AT DISCOVERY ACADEMY, BRING THEM HOME NOW!!! According to survivor reports: Erik Bowen writes: "I attended Discovery Academy from the summer of 1997 through January of 1998. It was among the most psychologically damaging experiences of my life. Please don't send your children to Discovery Academy. DA is a very punitive place. For example, if a student does not make his bed to the satisfaction of the DA staff, the student may be made to stand up to five "demerits," one demerit being defined as standing for 25 minutes facing a wall. Demerits are liberally doled out for any offence, from slight infractions of the rules such as cursing or complaining, to large violations, such as attempting to escape from DA. An attempted escape typically prompted between 100 and 500 demerits, or more. That is between 2 and 9 days, approximately, standing facing a wall. Five minute breaks were allowed between each 25 minute standing session, as well as breaks for sleeping and eating. When most students arrive at DA, they are upset and they show it. As they become familiar with the way Discovery Academy works, they learn to conceal their anger and any other emotions that are indicative of problems. When the DA staff sees this, they take it as the student's problems being solved. "If the symptom disappears, the cause must have disappeared," is the logic that Discovery Academy operates by. However, in reality the student's problems remain, and are made worse by the habitual concealing of them that DA's punitive/"therapeutic" system rewards. I picked up on this rather quickly, and was able to rise rapidly through the level system and complete a good deal of coursework in a fairly short time. In light of this, and my newfound ability to conceal my emotions, I was able to convince my parent to remove me from DA after about six months. During the time thereafter that I lived at home, I worked as hard as possible to conceal my true feelings from my parent. Those true feelings, if expressed, had the potential to land me back at DA, something which I was not about to let happen. So, parents, the moral of this story is: If you want your children to never tell you the truth again as long as you are their legal guardians, to disown you in the future, as well as to add to their unhappiness, send them to Discovery Academy. I am not exaggerating or dramatizing the consequences. Before you send your child anywhere, I strongly recommend that you read the book Smart Love by Pieper & Pieper. If you have any questions that you'd like to ask me about this, please feel free to email at: http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=46738#46738[/list]
      ••  This thread contains material already posted, but perhaps you'd like to see the whole thread (only 2 pages):
      http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17035

••  The registered user who posted this may or may not have any info.  Her son apparently did not end up at DA, but she may be aware of some research her ex-husband did.  You could try PMing her.  She last posted just 2 months ago.
        Good memory...Yes, at one time, my ex-husband was pushing Discovery. My son ended up attending Sundown Ranch in TX for 77 days. He has been home since mid-March. When he first returned home, he seemed very eager to continue his recovery. In the last 90 days, he has really been slipping. Mainly, according to him, his primary vice is alcohol. As far as resources close to home, he is seeing a therapist once a week and is in a group session once a week that the therapist leads. Does he want to quit? I would say no. He feels like he can continue to drink and he has control, however, every time he drinks, he gets plastered. He is 16..Any help or guidance would be appreciated...

Mel

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=287257#287257[/list]
        ••  A thread started earlier this year by the same registered user as above, re. Discovery Academy (before she and her ex-husband decided against it):
        http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=20660

••  This post appears to be from an ex-staff person.  He/she has expressed a willingness to discuss with anyone elements of these programs he/she finds egregious.  "If you have positive suggestions on how I can help or have any real questions about my experiences at Youth Care, Discovery Academy, or ARTEC, then please send me a message and I'll respond." (from a different post, when he did not sign in). You might want to try contacting them (last posted three months ago).  I seem to remember that Discovery Academy was one of the programs he/she had some familiarity with.
          I worked at Youth Care for 2.5 years as a line staff and also as a 'key' staff. I'm easily identifiable - I was assaulted by a student and required facial reconstruction surgery - and any time I post my old 'friends' who still work there are told to have no contact with me, so I know I'm pushing some serious buttons.

The night I was attacked there were not enough staff on shift, a common occurence at this program. There were two staff assigned to a house with 14 students - I was only there to finish up paperwork from the day shift. The student that attacked me was able to walk away from his group, sneak up behind me, and when I hung up the phone he started swinging. Another student was also able to walk away from his group to come watch.

You want first hand knowledge? I would come in to work in the mornings and watch the graveyard staff unplug their xbox/ps2/dvd players/laptops, hurry and check all the boxes on the log sheets signifying that they checked the students every 15 mins for signs of life (breathing, movement, etc...) and leave. Sometimes the graves were still asleep when I got there (they weren't supposed to sleep). This student was sleeping out of his room which, according to our training, he should have been checked on every 15 mins. If they were checking, how did the student's body proceed through rigor and livor mortis before the staff even noticed he was deceased?

I finally quit in disgust when the student who watched me get assaulted was re-admitted to the programm despite my concerns for my own safety or the safety of others (he had a history of sexually acting out/flashing female students).

Programs in Utah, and I worked in a few until I gave up and moved to adult corrections, rely on a cheap student labor market and the mystique that 'Utah' is a great, safe place. Youth Care is like most other programs - profit driven, not care driven.

I worked with some great staff, I tried to be a good staff. Too bad the administrators can't be more like some of the staff they're fortunate enough to have on the payroll.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=280549#280549[/list]
          « Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:47:21 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
            • View Profile
          « Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
          FTW ^^^

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:38:02 PM »
          This from the Cafety site.  Title serves as link.  Not sure exactly when it was written.

========================
          Discovery Academy left me changed...

I was close to finishing the freshman year of highschool when my aunt and uncle sent me to Discovery Academy.  I can understand some of the reasons they had.  I was experimenting with marijuana and had tried LSD. I was starting to act out.  I was into grunge and punk and rock, ( I had long dyed hair, dressed like a freak - way cooler than I dress now) Typical adolecent behavior.  I figured that I was doing pretty good for a kid that had spent his first 12 years of life living in the fostercare system. I was on the varcity soccer and baseball team.  I had reasonable good grades.  I know that I was starting to withdraw from my peers. Well,  I can understand that my parents overreaction to my normal behavior is a typical one.  My folks had hired an educational consultant , Miriam Boudean ( bay area , california ) and she had referred me to the private highschool I was attending and she definalty referred me to Discovery Academy when my folks were "trying to save my life". I was fortunate that I wasnt kidnapped and taken to discovery that way. I have heard the stories. I am fortunate that I didnt have to goto any of the wilderness hiking hippy bullshit programs.  I flew there on my own accord thinking that this was a boarding school. I thought that I would be gone 3-4 months. Little did I know that there is a year minimum of enrollment. I was there for 2 1/2.  Immediatly on reaching the place I remember being in the parking lot and all of a sudden a huge mutha sucka comes running up and acting very aggressive with a serious hyped up look in his eyes.  He wouldnt stay more that 2 feet from me.  Well we went in the place and Terry started shmoozin the folks and crap and they took all my stuff to be "approved".  Half my friggin clothes and almost all my music, books were NOT approved.  When I went to discovery they hadnt switched to uniforms yet.  I was still there when they were in the early stages of picking the uniforms. I swear to god that Carol Thorne was like a crazed old child playing with her dolls in her big dollhouse.  Often times the new students are put into Unit 1 ( solitary supervised confinement ) Parents are billed ridiculous amounts for this "service".  I guess since I thought I was actually in a boarding school they decided to let me into the general population.  My second day there they told me that I could go get my hair cut off or they could hold me down and shave my head.  Having already spoken to some of the other students I realized that I was )#(%&ed  and went the route of the hair cut.  Discovery has a punishment system called demerits.  One demerit is 25 minutes of standing inches away from a wall, hands at your sides, no talking - deviate from those rules and you will be restarted.  I have stood thousands.  I have stood till my ankles and knees were ridiculously swollen.  I have been restrained, i have been shot up with thorazine.  I have been incorrectly diagnosed.  My therapist was Alan Thorne.  This worm of a man was the owners son.  Dr Gene Thorne started this school.  He is a evil, self important, pug of a man. And very, very rich.

I have taken the time to read everyones profiles and I empathise with the horrors that you all have had to endure.  I feel especially bad for the individuals that had to deal with the jamacian school, paradise cove.  I can only imagine the helplessness that you must have felt in the face of not only being trapped out of the country, but also being abused so severly and being coerced to commits acts of abuse.

I might go into detail at a later point some of my experiences that I have gone through while attending Discovery Academy. I cant beleive that the Discovery Academy Forum is down. What a croc. I think I finnaly convinced my aunt and uncle that Discovery was doing more harm than good, and for my senior year of high school I was sent to John Tylers boys ranch.  This was a group home facility set in the suburbs of spokane, washinton.

I can say that this place was a huge improvement.  John has a true heart and really cares about youth and young adults.  There were a few times that I was ready to kill one of the staff there in particular, but for the most part I endured my increase in freedom.  One of the things that really messed with me was that I was back in public school.  After the pisspoor education system of Discovery I was hard pressed to catch up the first few months.  Discovery takes dated text books and chops them up by chapter. They call these "Concepts".  You then take a test on the chapter.  You are not allowed to test below a B.  This is how they maintain thier bullshit excellent GPA of the school.  Not only was there a weirdness of being able to react to kids living so called normal lives and not knowing what you are going through but I felt a little socially retarded.  My previous contact with girls for the last 2.5 years had been a little supervised coed. Well... there was that one time that involved some serious mission impossible stuff but thats another story. Now Im a senior in high school that cant see anyone outside of school.  LAME I had girls wanting to go to the prom with me.  Cant do that now. I wanted to get a job so I could have some experience before I moved "home", knowing I was going to be on my own. no go.  I know that someone else had mentioned that  they felt like they had been robbed of thier adolescence.  I feel like I never was a kid.

I have been independant with almost no help from my aunt and uncle.  They did help me when they wanted me to goto school.  I didnt think I was ready yet.  I dropped out after 2.5 years. I have been through substance abuse issues and severe depression since I have been 18 now and have not sought any sort of professional help because of my negative experiences.  I was able to kick my meth habit on my own.

At this point of the game I am a 26 year old young adult professional with a great job and a wonderful group of friends.  I work as a Youth Support Coordinator for the System of Care initiatives.  I now get to tap on to that life experience and hopefully make a difference in someones life.  I work as a advocate for youth and Young Adults that have SED or Mental Health diagnose(s). I ran across this site not long ago and was very encouraged to see that there are being steps taken to regulate these child prisons.

I will try to add more to this site in time.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
            • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
          Emancipate hiim?
          « Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 01:12:32 AM »
          What exactly happened in the Turnabout case, was that the family members sneaked into the church the teenagers was forced to attend, where they got her to sign the legal documents. The program had to let her go to the court or risk being held in contempt.

So the question is if it is possible to go the legal way. The have two programs - the ranch and the academy - the academy should be less a lockup according to the text on their webpage. And the forced church attendance do normally leaves an opening, so investigate.

As for the last remark made by my fellow country man, it was based on whether he is a physical strong person, because we have seen a number of cases where the abuse are done by other teenagers detained at the facility. Most resently for just a few months ago at Skyview in Nevada, which fortunately was shut down.

Discovery Academy works together with Pine Creek Ranch, which is a specialized place for teenagers with some sexual issues (Not necessary abuse, but same sex or just looking at porn). Are they overbooked at Pine Creek they perhaps could transfer what they regard as low risk (Independent status) to Discovery Academy, because most firms would not say no to income. If they are wrong at Pine Creek, then what?