Author Topic: Jason Dirk Walton  (Read 5180 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« on: July 04, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »
Anyone remember him from the St Pete Seed?

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates ... 1024650287

anyone know the story of a head injury obtained in the seed?

HELP PLEASE!

A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper. He must free himself from the habit, just as soon as something does not please him, of calling for the police.
http://www.mises.org/liberal/ch1sec11.asp' target='_new'>Ludwig Von Mises

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »
Excerpt from one of his hearings:

CORRECT. I THINK THAT, WITH RESPECT TO THE DRUG USAGE, THE SEED PROGRAM ITSELF, MAY NOT HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO THE DEFENSE COUNSEL AT THE TIME OF THE INITIAL TRIAL AND RESENTENCING. WHAT HE DID HAVE FROM THE MOTHER THE MOTHER ULTIMATELY TESTIFIES, EVEN AT THE EVIDENTIARY HEARING, THAT SHE DIDN'T KNOW OF ANY DRUG USAGE. THE STATE DOES NOT DISPUTE THAT. WHAT SHE DID KNOW, I AM SORRY, FROM THE POINT OF THE SEED ON. SHE CLEARLY KNEW THAT HER SON HAD A PROBLEM. THAT IS WHY THE SON WAS TAKEN FROM HER. HE WAS NOT TAKEN UNBEKNOWNST OF HER, OUT OF HER NOME HOME, AND PLACED IN THE SEED PROGRAM AS A TEENAGER.

WHAT THE NATURE OF THE EVIDENCE DEVELOPED?

I DON'T THINK THAT IT IS DETAILED DEVELOPED. THE SISTER HAD NO INDICATION OF HIS DRUG USAGE AND CERTAINLY THERE IS NO RECORD, CERTAINLY PRIOR TO SEED, OF THE FAMILY MEMBERS KNOWING ANYTHING OF THE FIRSTHAND BASIS, AS FAR AS PARTAKING OF DRUGS WITH THE DEFENDANT OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE, AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE WITH RESPECT TO THE DRUG ISSUE IS THAT, DURING THIS GUILT PHASE, IT WAS GOING FORWARD WITH THE THREE OTHER CODEFENDANTS THAT WERE INVOLVED WITH, THIS SO MANY OF THE DEPOSITIONS TAKING PLACE MUCH MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS. EACH -- PLACE WERE MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS, EACH ATTORNEY FOR EACH CODEFENDANT, AND ANYTHING THAT THE WITNESSES KNEW, AND THEY DEPOSED MANY OF THE ACQUAINTANCES OF THE DEFENDANT, HIMSELF, AND QUESTIONS WERE ASKED ABOUT THE DRUG USAGE AT THAT POINT, AND THERE IS NO EVIDENCE ANYWHERE IN THE RECORD, AND SPECIFICALLY, TOO, ROBIN FERDELLA WAS DEPOSED PRIOR TO THE GUILT PHASE WRKTS DEFENSE ATTORNEY PRESENT AS WELL AS THE OTHERS AND SHE WAS THE DEFENDANT'S GIRLFRIEND AT THE TIME, AND SHE KNEW OF NO OTHER TYPE OF DRUG USAGE OTHER THAN MARIJUANA, SO MR. O'LEARY'S BELIEF AT THE TIME AND, I WOULD SUBMIT, WHAT IS ACTUALLY TRUE TO THIS DATE, IS THERE WAS NOTHING MORE THAN THAN AS YOU MENTIONED WHAT THE BOYS IN HIS GROUP WERE DOING, SMOKING SOME POT AND DRINKING SOME BEER.

Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth.

--Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 03:20:00 PM »
Friends, one of our own is on death row for participaing in a murder. Part of his appeal was based on the damage the Seed did to him.  A further excerpt:

HE DECEMBER TESSFIED IN 1991 THAT -- HE TESTIFIED IN 1991 THAT IT DIDN'T OCCUR TO HIM TO OBTAIN MR. WALTON'S SCHOOL RECORDS. MR. WALTON DIDN'T MENTION ADDICTION TO HIM, SO HE DIDN'T THINK THERE WAS A PROBLEM. HE DIDN'T BOTHER TALKING TO THE SISTER, KIMBERLY WALTON, WHO WAS IN THE SAME SEED PROGRAM WITH MR  MR. WALTON. IT WAS HER TESTIMONY THAT WAS PRESENTED AT THE EVIDENTIARY HEARING IN 1991 THAT EXPLAINED THE NATURE OF THIS EXPERIMENTAL PROGRAM AND HOW DAMAGING IT WAS TO PEOPLE WHO WENT THROUGH THE PROGRAM.

Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not.
http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/remon.html' target='_new'>James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 03:31:00 PM »
a description of the crime from the web

Date of Offense:  06/18/82
Date of Sentence:  03/14/84

Circumstances of Offense:

Richard Cooper was convicted and sentenced to death for his part in three murders that occurred during the course of a robbery on 06/18/82.

Eight-year-old Chris Fridella contacted police in the early morning hours of 06/18/82, notifying them that his father and two of his father?s friends had been shot.  When authorities arrived at the scene, they found Steven Fridella, Bobby Martindale, and Gary Petersen dead, lying face down on the floor with their hands bound behind them.  The victim?s wallets had been rummaged through, and the house had been scoured in an apparent search for valuables.

Approximately six months later, Robin Fridella, Steven Fridella?s ex-wife, furnished police with information that pointed to Richard Cooper and his accomplices: Terry Van Royal, Jason Dirk Walton and Jeff McCoy.  During an interview, Cooper confessed to the murders and relayed the following information in his statement.  The four men had planned the robbery for over a week and, on the evening of 06/17/82, they went to the Fridella residence.  Jeff McCoy stayed in the car while the other three men entered the house.  Cooper, Royal, and Walton rounded up the adults in house, tied their hands and laid them down on the living room floor.  Eight-year-old Chris Fridella was ushered into the bathroom.  Walton searched the house while Cooper and Royal guarded the captives.  One of the captives was able to identify Walton, so, Walton pronounced that all three men must be shot.  Walton commanded Cooper and Royal to open fire on the captive men when his own gun misfired.  Upon leaving the house, Walton told Cooper that one of the men was still alive, at which time Cooper re-entered the house and shot Fridella again.

Either cocaine and marijuana are terribly dangerous substances, and breaking the law by consuming them is a major offense that should be severely punished, or these are minor, personal matters that do not really count in the big picture of a man's life. If the latter is the case, then the rationale for a bloody, costly and futile war against drugs simply disappears.
--Jorge G. Castaneda, Newsweek International, September 6, 1999

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 03:51:00 PM »
http://www.flcourts.org/

excerpt:

"evidence was also introduced which revealed that Walton had abused drugs as an adolescent and teenager, and had been enrolled in a radical therapy program which likely left him severly emotionally scarred, but which had not halted his continued abuse of illegal drugs."

Someone please say something..I think I remember this guy.

When Plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in a society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
--Fredric Bastiat

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
Check it out, the hearing is available in streaming video.

http://www.wfsu.org/gavel2gavel/archives/02-08.html

I'm not sure if they're talking about a head injury or psyche damage from the program. Izakowitz seems to be talking about psyche damage, and a very specific kind; that the girlfriend, who may have wanted her husband dead, dominated Walton. She's also the one who initially turned him in.

In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.
-- Richard Bach

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »
The Court Opinion has not been determined or is unavailable in electronic format on Gavel To Gavel. You may also try to find this Court Opinion at the Supreme Court of Florida, at Florida Law Online or at the University of Florida College of Law Archive.

There's still time! Let's get ahole of this lawyer and see if we can help this guy.

May 12-13: Sowed Hemp at Muddy  hole by Swamp. August 7: Began to separate the Male from the Female at Do - rather too late.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington (Diary)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
PAMELA H. IZAKOWITZ
Florida Bar No. 0053856
Capital Collateral Regional Counsel -
South
303 S. Westland Avenue
P.O. Box 3294
Tampa, FL 33601
(813) 259-4424

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
-- John F. Kennedy (1917-63), U.S. Democratic politician, president. Speech, 13 March 1962, the White House.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »
http://www.wfsu.org/gavel2gavel/briefs/ ... nisupp.pdf

I tried not to work for, you know, anyone who ate children with their bare hands. I won't pretend that I was ideologically consistent.

--Dick Morris; Political consultant for Bill Clinton, Trent Lott and Tom Ridge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »
Why are you so intent on helping a murderer who was allegedly in the Seed?  Regardless of whether or not he was in the Seed doesn't validate the taking of 3 lives?  Is it because he was there and because you were there and you have such animosity towards the Seed?  Murdering 3 people was his choice at that moment in time.  I was there almost 30 years ago too, and I have never been inclined to kill anyone, much less 3 people in a home invasion - gangland style murder.   To blame his poor life choices, on what was probably a very short period of time in his life (his time in the Seed) doesn't make any sense to me.  He chose to murder 3 men and traumatize a child, now he must live, or die, because those are the consequences of his choices.  We are all responsible for what we do as adults, poor choices and all.  Those are the consequences of being a free thinking adult.  To blame the Seed for his taking 3 lives is ludicrious. He is not my brethren, nor will he ever be.

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »
In 1982 knowing what we knew then when Jason Walton allegedly ordered the execution-style
murder of three adults, most of us would have agreed with you "Anonymous" that he was just a
fucking drug addict and murderer who deserved to die.  

But we have learned an awful lot about the Straights since 1982.  For instance, Straight-Springfield  took a girl who had no drug problem and broke her finger while spitting on her and yelling to her that she was fat and ugly and not pretty like her sister. The purpose--try to get her to admit to being a druggie so they could continue to treat her and continue to be paid.  Ultimately Straight released her admitting that drug dependency was not her primary problem.  Later this woman took all her clothes off and plunged to her death mysteriously from her apartment window.  A tatoo above her wrist read DISCIPLINE.  Had the Straights killed her? Straight-Boston treated a 12 year old girl for sniffing a magic marker.  Fred Collins was an honors engineering student at Virginia Tech who paid his brother a vist at Straight-St Pete  and was falsely imprisoned by Straight-St Pete until he escaped.  

We now know that a kid got out of Straigth-Dallas and beat his mother to death with a baseball bat.  That a kid got out of Straight-Atlanta and shot a man dead during a drug deal. That a man got out of Straight-Springfield and went on a killing spree.  He is now on death row in Pennsylvania. That a man got out of Straight-St Pete and, wielding a pipe,  charged a police officer who shot him dead.  That a man (who graduated and then became a counselor for  Straight-Cincinnati) apparently beat his girl friend's daughter to death.  

In 1982 most of us would have agreed with what we were being told that "these kids are fucking drug addicts, the scum of the earth."  That Straight was doing the best it could to deal with the shit, meaning people it had been given to treat.  But it was implicitly implied that in spite of Straight's gallant efforts some would  continue to be rotten even after Straight and continue to rape, kill and sell dope.

We know that the Straights treat kids who have genuine drug problems; but we now also know that they treat kids who do not. A primary concern has been color (white) and money.  And we know that Straight was abusive.  It teaches kids violence and terror. And Straight robs people of their self esteem.   Many former Straight clients have mental problems.  Many have committed suicide or murder.  So many in fact we are asking ourselves is Straight drivng peope to homicide, suicides and mental illness or is it just the clientelle it deals with to begin with.  

One problem is where does The Seed end and Straight begin?  There are more similarities between the two than differences, though one major difference was the ownership and management team.   Yesterday I had never even heard Jason Walton, but it seems I have learned that Jason's mother placed him into The Seed because a neighbor who was in The Seed said Jason was using drugs.  I've heard that story so many times before.  

Many of us think it is possible for the Straights to take a pretty average white boy with little or no history of drug or alcohol use (meaning pot and/or beer) with no  history of violence and turn him into a fucking drug addict--and possibly get him to kill himself or another.  

The Seed was brought to Pinellas County by states attorney James T. Russell and and Russell failed to prosecute Straight.  The judges sentenced kids to The Seed and to Straight,  and now these same judges are trying to send one of them to his death.

None of us condone murder. But if society is  going to legally execute somebody, then let us tell the courts ALL of the circumstances of this man's life.  That's all we want to do.

Wes Fager

[ This Message was edited by: wesfager on 2003-07-06 10:17 ]
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 03:13:00 PM »
anon, I am not "intent on helping a murderer". Rather, I am intent on learning all I can about this story.

I, Like jason Walton, spent my post seed years in despair. What drove him to such madness, and does he really deserve to be killed by the state?

I don't know yet, but the court seems to feel that the seed emotionally scarred him.

I am sick unto death of obscure English towns that exist seemingly for the sole accommodation of these so-called limerick writers -- and even sicker of their residents, all of whom suffer from physical deformities and spend their time dismembering relatives at fancy dress balls.
--Editor of the Limerick Times
(Limerick, Ireland)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »
Am I the only one who was in the Seed who for the past 30 years has not agonized, berated, belittled, dispaired or beat myself up because of a short 9 month window in my life?  If you met me today, you would never know that I didn't arrive where I am by the natural process of growth.  I am who I have become because of the sum total of my life experiences, mistakes and successes during this process called life.   To blame the Seed and that short window in time for everything that may or may not have gone wrong in my life would be ridiculous.   We all make cognizant decisions in our lives, right, wrong or indifferent because we can - check out Adam and Eve.  To blame time spent in the Seed as the reason for Jason Walton committing a mass murder is unthinkable to me.  He chose his life path, he chose to commit a murder.   During my time at the Seed, no one ever raised a hand in violence toward me, nor did I ever see any form of violence toward anyone else.  No one was ever a proponent of violence during my time in the Seed.  No back rooms, no spitting, no beatings, nothing, never an ounce of physical violence toward anyone.   In my simple mind, to compare the Seed to Straight is like running along two parallel lines, that will never intersect.  I've read the posts from both, and particularly in the Straight posts, each one is more outlandish than the one before.  It's like group hysteria.  I just don't buy it.  The bottom line for me is, there is never an excuse for murder, never, regardless of someones circumstances or a short window of time spent at the Seed.  (Read - A Boy Called It - for a take on changing ones life in the face of extreme agony.)  I've spent too many years working for criminal and civil lawyers now to buy into the blame game routine.  And as a proponent of the Death Penalty, it will be a good day in Florida when another murderer is gone and the state doesn't have to support him.  Jason Walton made his choice, now he dies by the consequences.

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »
wow, I have not visited here in quite awhile.
 ::argue::
Nor do I feel the need to argue with anybody that feels that the Seed did not adversley affect their life.

I am a big believer in the "actions & consequences" concept of life. Ask my 19yr old, he will tell you!

That being said, I must let you know that I feel a great deal of empathy for this person, Walton and for the people that he helped to kill.

I do know that my life was changed drastically by my admittance to the Seed. No I do not use drugs nor drink. It marked my high school years with fear, insecurity, an inability to trust and intentional crueltry from my peers.

These things marked my progression as an adult. No, I am not an unlawful citizen. I have raised a wonderful son, who is now in New College of Florida and is a "straight" child. I still am shy, unable to trust others and keep very much to myself.

I believe you should look at yourself a bit more honestly. IE Take a moral Inventory and see exactly what might have become of you should you not have had the experiences that you did.

debi
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Jason Dirk Walton
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 11:45:00 PM »
On 2003-07-06 04:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Why are you so intent on helping a murderer who was allegedly in the Seed?"

You should read the briefs. They're all online. The guy was sentanced to death as the mastermind of this crime with no mitigating circumstances. The co-defendants, including the actual shooter, all either got off or got lighter sentences. The appeal is not about letting him out or reversing the conviction. Just about properly adjusting the penalty to fit the actual crime.

Why do you seem so hell bent on letting this guy fry? There, but for the grace of God, goes you.

I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't
agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it
would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
--GW Büsh, CNN.com, December 18, 2000