Author Topic: Maine's Child Molester Protection Legislation  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maine's Child Molester Protection Legislation
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:10:24 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
While some schools and states have been aggressive about investigating problem teachers and publicizing it when they're found, others were hesitant to share details of cases with the AP — Alabama and Mississippi among the more resistant. Maine, the only state that gave the AP no disciplinary information, has a law that keeps offending teachers' cases secret.

Excerpt from:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h28L ... wD8SD5OJO0

By MARTHA IRVINE and ROBERT TANNER

So in contrast to all other states in the Union, Maine has passed legislation against transparency in cases of sexual predation in its schools. Finally, some relevant and interesting research! Thanks!

One tends to doubt that the state of Maine is concerned about the reputations of its offending teachers. Keeping offending teachers' cases secret protects the reputations of the schools that employ them. Since such a bill is not in the public's interest, it was probably not originally intended to protect public school systems. It represents rather the interests of the consortium of private schools in Maine. It is not too far-fetched to conjecture that Hyde is primarily or even solely responsible for seeing this unique bill adopted, for, of all private schools in Maine, Hyde is the prime beneficiary, given the high risk of sexual harassment arising from the sexually explicit information sharing that goes on there between teachers and students. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of it: Hyde has a long and well-known history of sex-offending teachers.  

Questions I'd like to see answered: Who pushed for the adoption of this bill, unique in the nation in its protection of sex predators? What governor signed it? Did they have ties to Joe Gauld? Did they have ties to Jean Gannett Hawley, chairman of the board of Gannett Newspapers in Portland, Maine, whose husband Sumner taught at Hyde and was one of Joe Gauld's closest friends?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Maine's Child Molester Protection Legislation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
Questions I'd like to see answered: Who pushed for the adoption of this bill, unique in the nation in its protection of sex predators? What governor signed it? Did they have ties to Joe Gauld? Did they have ties to Jean Gannett Hawley, chairman of the board of Gannett Newspapers in Portland, Maine, whose husband Sumner taught at Hyde and was one of Joe Gauld's closest friends?

Well, Sumner was one of the offending sexual predators, and considered by some (depending on the source you read), one of the founders of Hyde School, along with Joe Gauld, of course.

I believe the consortium you are looking for will be made up of many souls, who perhaps share a golfing past time, or who sell real estate amongst each other.  Perhaps even antique furniture?  And there will be an attorney or two thrown in there, for sure...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Maine's Child Molester Protection Legislation
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:03:43 AM »
Well, Sumner was one of the offending sexual predators, and considered by some (depending on the source you read), one of the founders of Hyde School, along with Joe Gauld, of course.

I can't see Sumner as other than the sweet sympathetic old man who introduced me to Wordsworth, Frost, Dickens, and Dostoyevsky.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »
haha.  and you thought he was just grooming your mind... ..
bet he didnt give you a special goodnight kiss.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 08:27:28 AM »
I was never so fortunate. Does that mean he's innocent of any hanky panky?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »
not innocent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
I'm listening.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »
Your link only convinces me that Sumner was not a pedophile. The post mentions an alleged incident of consensual sex between Sumner and another adult.

Also, and this casts serious doubt on the allegation, Sumner had already retired several years before the incident was alleged to have taken place. The post says it occurred in the early eighties, but according to the Hyde Web site:

"In 1970, Sumner married Jean Gannett, chair of the board of Guy Gannett Publishing, Co., and spent eight more years as a faculty member and administrator at Hyde before retiring in 1978. After his retirement, he joined Hyde's Board of Trustees."

http://www.hyde.edu/podium/default.aspx?t=51292

There's also a problem of verisimilitude. I can't imagine a seventy-year-old homosexual successfully seducing a young groom.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
He was still answering his phone at Hyde school in 1982.  I know this for a fact.  Go figure.  You gonna believe hyde PR at this point?  hahaha  Ive got a bridge I want to sell to YOU!

You think sex with a former student of yours is really "consensual?" With all the brainwashing that goes on there?  Plus not the only incident, read on.  Lets think bout the age diff, maybe 50-60 yrs?  oh yeah, you're the one who likes Socrates..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:11 AM »
He was still answering his phone at Hyde school in 1982.  I know this for a fact.  Go figure.  You gonna believe hyde PR at this point?  hahaha  Ive got a bridge I want to sell to YOU!

You think sex with a former student of yours is really "consensual?" With all the brainwashing that goes on there?  Plus not the only incident, read on.  Lets think bout the age diff, maybe 50-60 yrs?  oh yeah, you're the one who likes Socrates..

Be that as it may, you are wrong to label Sumner a sexual predator. No court of law in the land would convict him of that. Socrates wasn't sloppy with language.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
From a TOPICA list discussion of a teacher-student aka guru-follower liason; both parties were adults at the time, but it came out later that the young woman was kind of talked into it, and didn't really want the relationship.  The circumstances were actually quite psychologically destructive to her.  The poster is quoting from THIS text by Dr. Peter Rutter.  I came across this when I was reading up on that Eli Jaxon-Bear/Gangaji scandal that someone sent me a link to.  Link to posts with more details of that latter tale HERE.

Rutter takes the position that a "forbidden zone always exists in the relationship between doctor and patient, therapist and client, clergyman and congregant, lawyer and client, teacher and student. All of these professions carry a special trust not to abuse the seen or unseen dependent elements that inevitably develop." Because of the greater power of the professional, the client is unable to give truly informed consent, and it is thus the responsibility of the person in the more powerful position to control the necessary boundary between the two parties.

"Amorous relationships that might be appropriate in other circumstances are always wrong when they occur between any teacher or officer and any student for whom he or she has a professional responsibility. Further, such relationships may have the effect of undermining the atmosphere of trust on which the educational process depends. Implicit in the idea of professionalism is the recognition by those in positions of authority that in their relationships with students there is always an element of power. It is incumbent upon those with authority not to abuse, nor seem to abuse, the power with which they are entrusted."
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
Maybe Maine should change their license plates; instead of "Vacation Land," the plates should read "Predation Land."

Once upon a time I really did love Maine.

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 02:47:13 AM »

Be that as it may, you are wrong to label Sumner a sexual predator. No court of law in the land would convict him of that. Socrates wasn't sloppy with language.

Naw, Sumner was no sexual predator, at least not any more than I'm a honkin' honky golfing fiend, har har har!!  At least I walk the course; gotta keep what's below the belt in good shape, nudge nude nudge...

So Sums indulged in a lil "mentorship" once in a while... Most of the laddies didn't complain, at least not too loudly, at least not louder than some prescient and select bank deposits couldn't allay, har har.  Can't say I was above a little of that myself, heh heh, though I did try to wait a bit.  Don't like to tangle with those overprotective mothers, ya know?  So I still get some kissypoo come graduation day, and pat their little fannies one last time...  Another year, another dozen or so million $$.

Now if you want to talk about courts and convictions, and I don't mean the ones 'bout character this time, ya DID see that bit about how we take care of our teaching personnel, eh?  Har har har, nice to know one's business neighbors here in Maine, har har.  We high wage earners got to stick together.  Those kinds of problems are best taken care of on the greens, boy!  Didn't you know that?

Waitin' for my kissypoo, because I'm a golfing fiend!
Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator

Offline odie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »
I'm just adding my 2 cents to the original post in this thread because quite frankly it I was quite incensed when I found out about that Maine law. However as this article points out it's been on the books for quite a long time and we in Maine will have that legislation changed.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/ ... certified/
die