Author Topic: Sorenson's Ranch Info  (Read 7521 times)

Offline ahx2

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:40 PM »
I am seeking info regarding Sorenson's-both good or bad.  I am looking at it as an option for my son.  
Thanks,
Amy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline deadinsaneorinjail

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45:29 PM »

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
More info
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »
http://www.fornits.com/wiki/index.php/S ... nch_School
http://www.secretprisonsforteens.dk./US ... nranch.htm

Please notice that there is no myspace group of former survivors unlike most programs, because the facility in the past has done a lot of work to prevent it.

It is deplorable because the process of change from a regulated environment to a normal life after the program will be eased if the teenager has someone to talk with, who knows the difficulties relating to that process.

If you create a myspace account and actually write to some of the people, who has been in such a locked and regulated environment, you will learn that it demands almost the same effort to adapt to the open society again as it took to adapt to the locked environment.

A lot of the teenagers who has been in such programs, suffers from PTSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD) because their family neglected the importance of professional support after the program(Independent of the program, because new eyes often can spot problems, who a person close to the teenager are unable to spot).

Sorensen also uses levels in their treatment. Level systems  leave room for unnecessary information and even delaying information, when a teenager wants to earn a higher level by confessing to things they have not done. I hope that I am not wrong if I guess that your son deep inside love you, even if he does not show it. A level system could mean that he will confess wrongly to all such of things just to get to talk to you or see you. I think that it is a huge risk to take.

See this parent-info site: http://parent-help-info.tk/

If you are interested in more info, please request it:

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
Amy, how do you find out about Sorenson's Ranch?  Do you mind sharing  who referred you to this facility?

Offline ahx2

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
I found it through a search engine.  Simply typed in residental treatment teen.  It was one of the few that I requested a callback from.  They seemed willing to work with an Alaskan resident.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
Well, um...

What's the problem and why are you seeking treatment?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline ahx2

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
drug use, lying, stealing, disrespect, sexual abuse of 2 yo sister

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:24:29 PM »
Lying and disrespect is called 'being a teenager'. Sorry,

Drug use, or abuse? Actual abuse needs a real nurse with detox, not some ranch somewhere with min-wage earning mouth breathers. Using but not letting it screw up his life? Thats your problem.

(Lets be honest, folks).

Sexually abusing a two year old sister?

::T:: WOAH.

Get a shrink and some real treatment. A program would screw up anyone, but someone with such a severe problem needs actual help. Hell, there's a chance he might abuse other people's kids at that program once he reaches higher levels, and he'd come out even worse than before!

In ANY case I'd give a resounding "no" to a program but for gods sake in this case you need to find legitimate treatment and legitimate staff that can watch him and make sure he doesn't do that to anyone else. All a program can do is warehouse, AT BEST.

He clearly needs some kind of help, preferably outpatient, but if he's a danger he needs supervision. Have you had him evaluated yet?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline ahx2

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 06:30:45 PM »
We live in AK.  I have a psych eval.  @ Childrens Hospital in Seattle on Nov 2nd..  He is a physical threat where he is right now.  He has physically tried to assault the person he is with.  Obviously he cant stay with me because of the sister.  trying to get my ducks in a row for what will happen after eval.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:56:02 PM »
Where is he now?

Also, um, I can say he genuinely needs serious help and stabilization and a program can't provide that.... or anything else for that matter.

I'd be shocked if any program would willingly take your son, and if they did, well, that's just another thing to report to the GAO until congress gets off its do-nothing butt.

Um... did this just snap and happen out of the blue? Or was he acting out before? This kind of thing usually doesn't just occur ex nihilo.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 11:34:08 PM »
Actually at this very moment it doesn't matter why it happened. The fact is it happened and now you need to deal with it. They why your kid is acting this way will be more important in the future.  right now you need to be sure your family is safe.

So I suggest you focus on dealing with the more relavent now.

Sexual abuse.. damn.. I agree you need to protect your daughter.. How you go about that.. I have no idea..

Be aware that sorenson's has had an incident of rape in the past. Not the sort of place I'd consider dealing a sexual assualt issue.

These types of situations have no easy answers and with the sort of struggles your child is having I'd suspect that an RTC would only further aggravate the problems.

The sexual tensions between the clients in an RTC are off the scale. You put a bunch of teenagers in a facility and it sort of happens. I know of at least seven or eight incidents of sexual attacks or full on sexual activity in the single sex programmes I used to work at.

Drugs aren't something to fool about with either.. but.. I'd caution you about getting to wound up to quickly.. for every horror story of a child ending up dead or in jail or a teen prostitute there are the opposite examples of kids growing out of it as a transitionary phase.

Though.. given the sexual incident I wonder if the behaviors are related to some extent.. be aware I'm no professional.. just a guy who worked in some programmes.

Last thing.. despite what anyone claims here on fornits there is no absolutely safe placement/facility/ treatment center for your child. Simply put whenever you put a person or persons under the control of another the potential for abuse exists.

My personal instincts sort of say I think you should consider getting the police involved. Sexual assualt is something I believe that can be a risk to the community at large.

Either way good luck.. and I hope for the best for your entire family.

Offline otherside

• View Profile
Sorensens etc
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »
I'm not a big fan of condemning - or endorsing - any operation because of what took place 10 + years ago.  Even where ownership/management is the same today, it doesn't mean things are the same now as then.  That said, their web site notes practices regarding contact with parents that I regard as problematic.  No speaking for a week or two but not a lot more may be reasonable simply to get the student to focus on why they are where they are rather than focusing on how to con their way out through their parents is the main reason.  But no letters?!!  Everything monitored/screened?  Several months before parental visit is allowed, and then must be "earned"?  While their may have been good intention behind the original establishment of those "rules", there are stronger reasons to steer clear of places who block parents so imperially.  So apart from the question of whether "programs" do good things, you need to consider the entirety of what each program does.

It is nice that Sorensons will work with someone from Alaska.  I bet they would work with someone from Maine, or Turkey of Somalia as well.

Nihilanthic is right that you son apparently needs much more than most (if not all) "programs" can give, and certainly more than Sorensens.  The psych eval is only a week away, so be sure they have the whole set of facts about your son.  The results should be accompanied by some specific recommendations as well.  The sexual abuse and physical assault issues are major ones needing more than a disciplined environment.  While the rest of his behavior you mentioned may be "typical", or their extent may be signs of someone who might benefit from a "program" doesn't need addressing as he clearly needs more.  And, any "program" that says they can handle it should be immediately suspect.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »
Can anyone get in touch with Julie, you all remember her right? She can help you find legitimate treatment. I agree with the others, your kid needs some serious help you will never find at a program. Also in most programs kids eventually look after other kids, what a nightmare that would be giving your kid power over someone else's kid.

Julie if you are still lurking around could you help this person out?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ahx2

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:07 PM »
I am appreciating everyones comments.  I know that I just need to wait until after the eval.  and see what the recommendations are at that time.  However, I am trying to go into it educated on my options ahead of time.  If this Julie person can point me in a direction I appreciate that.  I am terrified of it becoming a police matter but know that that might be where the real "help" lies.

Amy

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Sorenson's Ranch Info
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
Stay away from the cops and the courts IF you can. The Ethical Treatment for All Youth gives you the low down on why that's a bad idea. However you must protect your other kid so you may not have a choice, don't feel guilty if you have to call the cops but do educate yourself about what to expect.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]