Author Topic: Guards, Nurse Aquitted in Florida Boot Camp Death  (Read 3071 times)

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
Guards, Nurse Aquitted in Florida Boot Camp Death
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 01:52:18 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Quote from: ""exhausted""
pfffft, shove ammonia up her nostrils and see how long it takes her to die

after all it's not fucking ILLEGAL is it

Couple of interesting questions this raises:

Say the guards didn't mean to kill the kid.  Say they were not properly trained.  Would the fault then rest primarily on the School then?  Would they then be guilty of a lesser assault charge of some sort rather than murder?  Because somebody is definately responsible for his death...  If I'm not mistaken, woudn't the family still have a good chance at a civil suit against the management at the school?
Psy if you kick and beat aa kid who is obviously unwell to start with, you mean to kill them....especially when you know you're going to get away with it as have many others before in this rotten hellhole dumps

As for your question, yes, to al of it, sue them individualy, sue the program, the school, the state, the giovernment, anyone who actually allows these places to run, sue them (then shove ammonia up their noses)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:48 PM »
If you hit someone, and they die, because of a medical complication, from an assault that wasn't intended to kill them, but they die anyway, you're often charged with murder, and at least manslaughter.

But apparently if a member of law enforcement does it, they can say "oh, it was just the SICKLE CELL" and ignore the fact that it was their actions that caused it, as long as they're in the southeast.

I want out.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »
That's so true Nihil, Locally I've seen people sent up the river for getting into a fight where the person later died from something like a heart attack.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »

Say the guards didn't mean to kill the kid.  Say they were not properly trained.  Would the fault then rest primarily on the School then?  Would they then be guilty of a lesser assault charge of some sort rather than murder?  Because somebody is definately responsible for his death...  If I'm not mistaken, woudn't the family still have a good chance at a civil suit against the management at the school?
Psy if you kick and beat aa kid who is obviously unwell to start with, you mean to kill them....especially when you know you're going to get away with it as have many others before in this rotten hellhole dumps

As for your question, yes, to al of it, sue them individualy, sue the program, the school, the state, the giovernment, anyone who actually allows these places to run, sue them (then shove ammonia up their noses)

I agree. if you repeatedly beat someone what the fuck to you think is going to happen?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 06:50:15 PM »
Federal officials to review boot camp death case

* Story Highlights
    * Jury acquitted eight former juvenile boot camp staffers of manslaughter charges
    * Florida civil rights leaders are calling for federal charges in the case
    * A teenage boy died a day after being hit by guards as a nurse watched
    * The videotaped incident marked the end of Florida's juvenile boot camp system

PANAMA CITY, Florida (AP) -- Seven former juvenile boot camp guards and a nurse had barely processed an all-white jury's decision to acquit them in a black teenager's death before federal authorities announced they would review the case.

Since jurors on Friday acquitted them of manslaughter charges, federal prosecutors likely would have to try another tactic, such as seeking an indictment alleging obstruction of justice, legal experts said.

"It's too early to say that the final chapter has been written with respect to the criminal justice system in this case," said Kendall Coffey, a former U.S. attorney in Miami.

Florida civil rights leaders called for federal charges hours after a jury took 90 minutes to exonerate the eight in state court in the death of Martin Lee Anderson, 14.

By Friday evening, officials from the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Tallahassee announced they were reviewing the state's prosecution.

Anderson died January 6, 2006, a day after being hit and kicked by the guards as the nurse watched after he collapsed while running laps. The 30-minute confrontation was videotaped. VideoWatch the video of the incident »

The altercation drew protests in the state capital and marked the end of Florida's system of juvenile boot camps.

Defense attorneys argued that the camp workers were using accepted tactics and that the boy died because of a pre-existing medical condition.

Coffey said state prosecutors might have laid a foundation for their federal counterparts to seek an obstruction charge by grilling the eight about inconsistencies and omissions in their written accounts of the last conscious moments of Anderson's life when they testified last week.

But lawyer Bob Sombathy, who represented ex-guard Patrick Garrett, said he doubted a federal prosecution would be successful. Sombathy said the state trial showed the medical findings are on the side of the defendants.

"With a 90-minute verdict after a three-week trial (in the state case), it would be the same result," he said.

Ashley Benedik, defense attorney for nurse Kristin Schmidt, said the federal government might not bring charges.

"To a certain extent there was more at stake for the state, there was more of a public outcry," she said.

At a vigil in the impoverished neighborhood where Anderson grew up, community leaders appealed for calm in the wake of the verdict, which they said was affected by Circuit Judge Michael Overstreet's decision to hold the trial in Panama City, where the boot camp was located.

"This is not the end of it. We can take it to a higher court and I hope it will be taken to a higher court," said Panama City Commissioner Jonathan Wilson.

Laurie Levenson, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said she was not surprised the guards were acquitted by a "hometown jury." Nor would it surprise her if the federal government stepped in, she said.

"This is the very type of case you would expect the Justice Department to take a very close look at, just like the Rodney King case," Levenson said.

King was pulled over for speeding in Los Angeles' eastern San Fernando Valley, where police officers who said he acted menacingly and refused to follow their orders were videotaped kicking him, pummeling him with their nightsticks and shooting him with stun-gun darts.

After a jury acquitted the officers in 1992, riots broke out across Los Angeles and lasted four days, leaving 55 people dead and more than 2,000 injured.

Federal prosecutors in the King case presented new evidence during their trial of the officers, including testimony that the officers had lied and had laughed about the incident, Levenson said.

In the federal trial, two officers were convicted of violating King's civil rights.
ashed Brains Shrink

Offline White Cracker Man

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »

I second that emotion!!!!!!