Author Topic: Phoenix House - Texas  (Read 4592 times)

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »
Does anyone have any info about this place?  I think it is San Antonio..  How about Building Bridges in Montana?    Thank you so much for any information you can provide...

On that note, if you know of any place that has had success with kids that are heavily abusing drugs, please let me know.  I am at the end of my rope!!!

Mel0731
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »
Does your teenager agree to treatment?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:37:28 PM »
Chuck, If you are concered with too many people getting involved I will be in Atlanta next week and we can sit down and hammer out a plan, just the two of us.  I wouldnt mind checking the site out myself while I am there but I will not give you an answer either way, my driver is sick so I will be using Mindys, but we can talk after we get out of the car..... I dont want to discuss this on the way there.  Confirm your plans with Jenna and I will work thru her.

I have not spoken to any parents who had children attend Phoenix house, so I cannot comment, but I haven’t heard any negative comments coming from that direction if that helps.

There are many options out there for you, but if you are dealing strictly with addiction issues I have seen some great success at a place called Hazelden, which is in Minnesota, just north of Minneapolis.  It is a bit on the expensive side (insurance won’t cover much, if any of the cost) but they are extremely successful at getting a person off drugs and stabilized and do cater to youth services.  The follow-up/ long term success varies depending on the individual and how they stick to their plan.

Offline otherside

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
Phoenix House is a "chain" of treatment facilities.  You can find them in many areas of the country.  So far as I know, they are above-board etc, although I'm not personally acquainted with them.  Your post is the first I've heard of Building Bridges.  My recollection is that regulation in Montana is not the tightest in the country, which could allow for some innovative good programs, but could also allow for less-desirable operations.

There are a number of sound things that can be done for someone with a heavy drug dependance.  The options vary with the individual's age, and the chances of success vary with the individual's own interest in achieving change as well.  Finally the best choice depends on the character and physical condigion of the person involved.  The issue is not just one of getting rid of drugs/drug use, but also one of establishing something to take its place -- goals, and the means and incentive(s) to achieve them.

So, age, physical condition, extent and duration of drug use, school level and performance (if applicable), other/former interests, and any self-interest in getting off drugs???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
If a person doesn't want help or believe they need help, nothing will "work".  What specifically is the problem?

Warning!!!   The Who is a program shill with either a direct or indirect financial interest in Aspen Education.  DO NOT SPEAK WITH THIS MAN!!!

the above is my opinion based on Who's registered postings.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:54:57 PM »
Quote from: ""otherside""
Phoenix House is a "chain" of treatment facilities.  You can find them in many areas of the country.  So far as I know, they are above-board etc, although I'm not personally acquainted with them.  Your post is the first I've heard of Building Bridges. My recollection is that regulation in Montana is not the tightest in the country, which could allow for some innovative good programs, but could also allow for less-desirable operations.

:scared:
Not that I believe in regulation anymore, but what a load of crap. Medical care is tightly regulated yet innovation abounds. The idea that laws hold programs back is bullshit.

Mel0731, hasn't your son already been to a few programs?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
Yea - Mel's son was in a Texas program;  She was posting before because the father was enrolling the son at Discovery Academy.

What's going on, Mel?
Did you withdraw him from this placement at Discovery Academy?
Does your attorney ex-husband still have control over where this boy is placed?

Why can't your son get care in your home state; hometown on an out-patient basis?

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
situation
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
Good memory...Yes, at one time, my ex-husband was pushing Discovery.  My son ended up attending Sundown Ranch in TX for 77 days.  He has been home since mid-March.  When he first returned home, he seemed very eager to continue his recovery.  In the last 90 days, he has really been slipping.  Mainly, according to him, his primary vice is alcohol.  As far as resources close to home, he is seeing a therapist once a week and is in a group session once a week that the therapist leads.  Does he want to quit?  I would say no.  He feels like he can continue to drink and he has control, however, every time he drinks, he gets plastered.  He is 16..Any help or guidance would be appreciated...

Mel

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
What about studying abroad
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 05:42:04 PM »
These are the numbers for Danish youth between 13 and 15:

http://www.espad.org/sa/node.asp?node=652

and we can produce less killed in fights by gun and knife, less killed by DUI, less youth in jail and less in Rehab.

Our youth have so much self-control that they are watch each others back and call the parents when one of their buddies have passed out. They care about, how they look when they are drunk and stop in time or have asked their buddies to stop them.

And then they mature very fast and drop the bringe drinking when they discover that they are lacking behind and would end up having a McJob career, if they do not sober up.

So if your child is behaving like an European, perhaps he should come to the place and learn from equals that you can drink, but you will end up loosing oppotunities in life. It is cheaper to try this solution than months of stay at a TBS.

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
thank you
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »
C - Thanks for the site.  I reviewed and it looks like it has some good info.  I was in Denmark this past summer.   Just lovely!

mel

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Phoenix House - Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 10:08:17 AM »
I know that it is a little to late this year, but as an altertive to a wilderness therapy course, he could use the Scanrail option.

Depending of what I read, I figure that he can function without alcohol and drugs, so he does not need a detox period a heavily therapy, but Basicly needs to be removed from his comfort zone, because he is stuck in a slow lane.

So this concept, which I would use on my own children, if that should ever be a problem, is basicly 21 days living and traveling around the nordic countries and sleeping in youth hostels.

Prices in Euros are here:

http://www.scanrail.com/template/articl ... lder_id=26

Hostel card (he has to bring his own backpack with clothes and sleeping bag) can be bought here.

http://www.danhostel.dk/faq.asp#priser
http://www.hihostels.com/

Give him a certain amount to live on. I can feed my family (4 persons) for 25 dollars per day, but of course it is more expensive for him because he has no kitchen to prepare his food in.

The countries he can travel in with a ScanRail card is Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark and they are safe to travel in if he avoids some special areas. A stab-proff vest should be the only protection he needs if he is so stupid to walk in those very few areas, because we have a very intense gun-control.