Author Topic: Miller Collaborates with NATSAP etal  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Miller Collaborates with NATSAP etal
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
September 17, 2007

From Sharon Laney, President of NATSAP…

In February 2007, I became the President of National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs. If you attended the 2007 Conference in La Jolla, you heard a lot about the Miller Bill. If not then I will highlight some of the points and issues of this bill.

Last year Representative Miller, California, who was a member of the Education committee, introduced a bill to "Stop Abuse of Children in Programs." Several advocacy groups have jumped onto the topic and bill. For us in Therapeutic programs and schools, we also want to stop abuse that has occurred with a very few programs within the Industry.

Representative Miller is now the Chair of the committee and the bill is currently with his Investigative Counsel. What is currently occurring is NATSAP, NAPHS, and OBHIC are working with Representative Miller on the language of the bill. He has been very receptive in allowing feedback. We are doing a lot of work behind the scenes to offer revisions to the bill that will deal with Abuse yet not hurt the Industry. As the current bill is written, it wants to move the Investigative Process from a State level to a Federal level. In our opinion, this is a state responsibility and should remain so. It also addresses Interstate Compact. If passed it could prevent a referral from Utah going to an out of state placement without going through Utah interstate compact then through the compact of the state where the program is located, prior to admissions. This will slow the admissions process completely and impact our Industry negatively.

In light of these challenges to our industry, I have requested and been granted, a flexible schedule that will allow me time to focus on NATSAP and the issues at hand. In order to fulfill my responsibilities as NATSAP's President, I will not concurrently maintain my duties as COO of Three Springs. I will continue my work on some Three Springs special assignments between my NATSAP duties. My day to day responsibilities have been delegated to very capable members of the executive management team.

I am not sure how long the critical NATSAP work will take. We are now thinking that these hearings may start sometime after the first of the year. In the meantime, we are starting to meet with other committee members as well as solicit help from the Independent Education Consultant organization and others.

I am grateful to be allowed time to work more closely with NATSAP in order to play an integral role in activities which focus on addressing the serious implications of the Miller Bill.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:16:55 AM »
Fucking hell... You know... I'm just not at all surprised.

:-?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »
Sharon Laney, used to be the supervisor of the Group of Lisicha at Paint Rock Valley Boys. According to an eye witness account, about 15 or more years ago, she restrained a boy on the concrete in front of the dining hall. The boy had spit in her face and in turn she repayed him the favor after she wrestled him to the ground.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »
Well, I washed my hands of CAFETY, A START...now Miller, which makes me kinda sad.  He's asking the fox how to protect the chicken coop.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:23 AM »
Sighs... shit... I'm reaching for something inspiring to say here, but in the end all I can come up with is "I told you so."

Same old same old govermental two step to dance around the issues. If old Sharon Laney is so interested in running abusive programmes out of business she wouldn't have to go very far from her Three Springs office.

Ah well to hell with it.. wasn't expecting much out of congress in the first place so I can't say I'm all that dissappointed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
Didn't Rosemary Tippet also formerly from Three Springs leave out with the same excuse.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
that has occurred with a very few programs within the Industry.

This about made me shit myself laughing.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:54:30 AM »
We need to get out and present the other side, don't let them steal this one.

Deborah, what's your view on this is it as bad as it sounds?

EDIT: Hell no, folks let's get on the phone with Miller and let him know that we don't want children put at risk for the sake of the industry that harms them - Millers Contact page
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »
Guys?

Just because the president of NUTSACK says something doesn't mean it's true.

He might be sending things to Miller's office and Miller might be completely ignoring him.

DO NOT turn your backs on Miller- at least not yet. Find out FROM MILLER if he's stupid enough to believe NUTSACK's bullshit.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:56:12 PM »
Miller should already be very aware of NATSAP, given A START's enlightened view of the bastards and his tightness with that lot.  All the same, Hanzo's right about contacting him.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »
Land sakes, child!  Did anyone tell those poor souls over at CAFETY?  Oh, my, would you look at that, no one posts there anymore.  Opie's not allowed over there either, because...well, they're a bunch of Izzy-hugging nabobs.

Land sakes, what can one say about such a bunch of mediocrities?

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
I wouldn't get to riled up just yet. Its is true that Congressman Miller might be letting them call his office and send him letters. After all, how can he stop them? So, they think they are having their say, and he says (like they all do when you write them) thank you for your interest, I'll take your views into consideration.  Rarely do they give a flying fig, and even rarer do they take such views into consideration. Especially, when the view is coming from a non-constituent, and from the opposing party.  Miller knows this can not be left up to the states. That's what the bill is about. He also understands the abuses, and how all prevailing they are. He knows they are not limited to a few programs. He knows its the nature of the beast. He understands the issues. I don't think he is going to allow the industry to gut his bill. Our fight will be getting it through the house & senate, whole and intact and bearing its teeth.
ashed Brains Shrink

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Rude Intrusion""
I wouldn't get to riled up just yet. Its is true that Congressman Miller might be letting them call his office and send him letters. After all, how can he stop them? So, they think they are having their say, and he says (like they all do when you write them) thank you for your interest, I'll take your views into consideration.  Rarely do they give a flying fig, and even rarer do they take such views into consideration. Especially, when the view is coming from a non-constituent, and from the opposing party.  Miller knows this can not be left up to the states. That's what the bill is about. He also understands the abuses, and how all prevailing they are. He knows they are not limited to a few programs. He knows its the nature of the beast. He understands the issues. I don't think he is going to allow the industry to gut his bill. Our fight will be getting it through the house & senate, whole and intact and bearing its teeth.

Of course he knows the nature of the beast... Many others do too, and yet they willingly sign away their souls for money.  At the end of the day, he's just another politician in my book, and I'll believe reform when I see it.  Somebody else on this forum once said that child abuse has to be made politically unviable.

What if he sides with NATSAP in the end?  Do you really trust a politician, especially when he can say (based on his authority) "we looked into this and there is no abuse"?  He called the GAO investigation, and ultimately, whether it has any teeth is in his hands.  You think the industry wouldn't find a way to buy a democrat?  Do you really think they care who they pay off as long as they are in power?  Campaign contributions are nothing more than legalized corruption...  What is keeping Miller honest?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:01:10 PM »
Could the annoucement just be a cover up for Sharon leaving Three Spings????

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Could the annoucement just be a cover up for Sharon leaving Three Spings????

You never know.  As crazy as some of the people are in this industry, maybe they never called Miller at all. (I'm lookin at you, Sue Scheff)

I'd have to agree with hanzo on this, though...  I think the investigation maybe have gotten jacked.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)