Author Topic: Zero club?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Zero club?
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »
What is zero club?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero Club
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Zero Club is a motivation tool AARC employs to help it's captives fully feel their powerlessness.
When on Zero Club I had to sit on a stool in all groups (so I was singled out). I was not permitted to go to the toilet by myself (an oldcomer or staff stood in the room/stall doors open). Showers were limited to 2 mins at that point the staff member/ oldcomer joining me would turn off the water. I was not permitted a fork or a knife so my food was cut for me and I used a spoon to eat it, as an aside on this one of my oldcomers knocked my food onto the floor then asked me how hungry I was repeatedly until I agreed to eat the floor goods, she also used to touch my food before I ate it. Talks were not permitted so I did not see my family at all for months. I was not permitted to watch TV, instead I was sat on the floor next to the TV with my back to it and made to read the Big Book.
I cannot remember all of the torture methods used to break my mind and help me feel powerless but the jist of it is this, "You are a Zero, You are nothing and you will never be...unless you become one of us!"
It's a hard thing to even think about so I am sure more will come to me and I will continue to post tidbits as theycome back to me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A lighter note
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »
On a lighter note I did make a point of eating as much fruit and fibre as I could, to make the experience for the oldcomer as uncomfortable as it was for me.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:01:16 AM »
Take your time SLF   ::dove::

If you need to smile checkout this thread, K?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
Just what I thought.  In Straight it was called having your 'days frozen' (newcomers) or on a 'no phase' (oldcomers).  Straight didn't use the stool though.  If someone started 'misbehaving' they were restrained for hours and then dragged into the Time Out room for some, ahem, attitude readjustment.

Tell me again how AARC is different from Straight?
 :roll:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""

.... they called the time out room the "infirmary"? :wink:
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »
In the mornings at Straight, they would drop off the lower phasers and we would be packed into an intake room like sardines.... Girls in one and boys in another.

And god forbid if somebody farted..... :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:24:39 PM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""
In the mornings at Straight, they would drop off the lower phasers and we would be packed into an intake room like sardines.... Girls in one and boys in another.

And god forbid if somebody farted..... :rofl:  :rofl:

Which one?  I was in the SP Gandy building and that's exactly how I remember it.  

Oh.  Its a locker room stench and then some.  Plus the overpowering smell of fear.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Rachael""
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""

.... they called the time out room the "infirmary"? :wink:

What would happen in the "infirmary"?

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 10:41:24 AM »
Yeah... what WOULD happen in the infirmary???

I really want to know what happens there.

As a parent I have to clean this place... as well as the rest of the building and pay $10/person for a thanksgiving dinner that I need to provide, prepare and clean up after. $100+ per day and the centre can't provide Thanksgiving meal??? If the turkeys are being provided by Safeway and prepared by parents... why are the parents still paying $10 per family member???

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
It's 150 per day per inmate, 160 for out of province.  That's 50k plus per annum.  Additionally, All About Receiving Cash has taken in over 9 million dollars in fundraising in their expansion campaign.  But they still need socks and underwear for the unfortunate urchins they rescue from the mean streets of Calgary.  Speaking of their expansion, I drove by the other day.  Stroke of genius it was, choosing the old ARCIS site.  I can't imagine why more crisis nurseries or treatment centres, or whatever AARC is, don't use garages.  The multiple bay doors really foster that therapeutic environment.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Zero club?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:55:42 PM »
Quote from: ""ajax13""
It's 150 per day per inmate, 160 for out of province.  That's 50k plus per annum.  Additionally, All About Receiving Cash has taken in over 9 million dollars in fundraising in their expansion campaign.  But they still need socks and underwear for the unfortunate urchins they rescue from the mean streets of Calgary.  Speaking of their expansion, I drove by the other day.  Stroke of genius it was, choosing the old ARCIS site.  I can't imagine why more crisis nurseries or treatment centres, or whatever AARC is, don't use garages.  The multiple bay doors really foster that therapeutic environment.

Yep, Straight built a warehouse right before I went in.  They kept us, 12 - 18 hours a day in a warehouse.  A literal interpretation of the phrase 'warehousing kids' I guess.

Yep, they really cared.