Author Topic: YouTube: 'Hyde School Campus Tour'  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
YouTube: 'Hyde School Campus Tour'
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:44:53 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:20:15 AM »
parent:  is anybody really happy about being here?
student:  no.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »
how do you enbedded the videos in the post?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »
Where are the mini-skirts?  Kids like to dress outlandishly at that age.  Why is everyone so frumpy and preppy?  It is seems almost frigid.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Where are the mini-skirts?  Kids like to dress outlandishly at that age.  Why is everyone so frumpy and preppy?  It is seems almost frigid.
theyre afraid of advertising what already goes on at that place;
maybe thyre afraid mister ed will  return!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »
This is a masterpiece!  Perfectly captures that sense of dread I felt walking up to the mansion for seminars, classes etc.  I remember the hill being longer, though.  Campus looks good--they must be spending big $$.  Wasn't the student union -- purple??

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
This is a masterpiece!  Perfectly captures that sense of dread I felt walking up to the mansion for seminars, classes etc.  I remember the hill being longer, though.  Campus looks good--they must be spending big $$.  Wasn't the student union -- purple??

Yeah, I totally agree about the dread.  I actually watched it 3-4 times last night.  Instead of getting less potent for me, it actually got more so.  Maybe it was that glass of Portugese rotgut I was drinking.  By the third time, there were tears coming out of my eyes, remembering the horror, the dread, the hopeless desperation of trying to live your life according to those absolutes, and never quite making it up to their standards.

In retrospect, it is quite clear, that for the most part, they never met those standards either, and that most of the kids probably had morals and so-called character far in excess of the faculty's!  

Moreover, they were absolutely BLIND to the inner struggles we had; they were so busy applying the one size fits all strategy that they didn't even bother to find out who we actually were.  Why should they bother?  It's not like they had time, let alone energy after all those emotionally draining seminars, and school meetings, the constant evaluations in class, in sports, performing arts, even in the dorms...  And anyway, it was supposed to work one size fits all cuz these were inherent truths that applied to the whole of the human race.  Or so Joe said.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:59:04 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
how do you enbedded the videos in the post?

Sorry I neglected this 'till now.  I knew there was something I was forgetting...

YouTube, and I think Google as well, provide the whole code for embedding in one of those little boxes inside that larger box on the right hand side with the clip particulars in it.  You just copy and paste that whole thing onto your post in one piece (it's large and will wrap around several lines).  If you want to check to make sure you got it all and that it works, hit 'preview' instead of 'submit' and your post will show up above your editing box with the all the code taking effect as if it had been posted.  You can then scroll back down and edit as many times as need be and preview as many times as need be until you're happy with it and then 'submit.'

Also, if you want to check to see what that kind of code generally looks like, go to a post that has an embedded clip and hit 'quote reply.'  That post will then be dumped into your editing box in its entirety, with all coded items written out in code form.  Just hit your browser back button or one of the forum links to get out of posting unless that's what you really want.

BTW, you don't need to spell out the Captchas each time you 'preview.'  You probably already know that, not to mention about 90% of the above, but I just told you anyway cuz I'm a little OCD.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
Code: [Select]
there were tears coming out of my eyes, remembering the horror, the dread, the hopeless desperation of trying to live your life according to those absolutes, and never quite making it up to their standards

I have walked it a many of times since my departure in '77.  I used to take the kids to hermit's island.  I would stop in and walk around.  I have gone to some official functions.  Had some chats.  A couple of brief ones with Joe.  I had breakfast with Joe one morning.  That man either has a drinking problem or Parkinson's.  Watching him try to get the scrambled eggs into his mouth was a trip.  But yeah the place leaves an indelible mark on your life.  For some people like me it is a mixed bag. I really fell into a funny nitch when I was there.  I never had any allusions that my character was growing. Some one shared with me the senior vote process and how they we voted off the island.  This is some beside Mike. How fucked is that? I mean really? I don't have the time to describe the  hypocrisies that went on in that room.  Two weeks later I was smoking dope in a house in Waterville with half the guys in that room that were passing judgment on character. And one of those fuckers stole my brother's army field jacket that he wore in the Cambodia invasion with the 7/17 cav.  Character my ass.
I never fit in with the leadership crowd, I was never a jock and no one , thank God, no one on the faculty ever took an interest in me so no one ever fucked with my head the way some kids got their heads fucked with.  I was not the best looking piece of queer bait so my ass emerged in its virginal state too.  
Joe and Ed are reoccurring stock characters in my dreams.  But thanks to RSE I now live in a reality where they are both my towel boys.  Just kidding about the RSE part.

But back to the point, yeah I have stood in the room where Jim Searles, Paul Hurd and Sabina's boy friend (Bob) did my interview, tag team.  Three men against one scrawny confused boy.  They were tough guys.  It gets some stuff churning inside you.  30 years later I have it beat.  I can make Joe melt in my dreams and Ed is a clown figure kind of like the rooster in Merry Melodies Cartoons. "Boy listen when I am talking at ya"

The thing that I find disturbing is that after all these years it seems to be the same shit, same shovel, same lack of self examination same lack of honesty.  What was it that Jesus said "if you are dishonest in small things, you will be dishonest in the large?"  Well if  they have to dissemble  about a reunion weekend what are they going to do when the chips are down?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I hope no one rats this kid out
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 11:48:59 PM »
BTW folks, this is completely cute and innocent "tour" with absolutely nothing untoward or negative about this school in here.  I hope no one gets in trouble for it.  Seems benign.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: I hope no one rats this kid out
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
Quote from: ""reallydiff""
BTW folks, this is completely cute and innocent "tour" with absolutely nothing untoward or negative about this school in here.  I hope no one gets in trouble for it.  Seems benign.

He posted this about 4 weeks ago.  In another clip, which I am about to post, he mentions getting out of that "prison" in about 2 days.  It would seem that he is free and clear now.

Nice to know though, that people care 'bout folks getting the grill and being put on work-crew and what-not...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »
Some one shared with me the senior vote process and how they we voted off the island. This is some beside Mike. How fucked is that? I mean really? I don't have the time to describe the hypocrisies that went on in that room. Two weeks later I was smoking dope in a house in Waterville with half the guys in that room that were passing judgment on character. And one of those fuckers stole my brother's army field jacket that he wore in the Cambodia invasion with the 7/17 cav. Character my ass.

It's almost as they have some secret society - the have-characters - and the rest of the population are the have-no-characters, with the former being, of course, the ones in power and the chosen ones who will be in power someday.  The latter are the cattle that are farmed to finance the whole operation, namely, to support the lifestyle of the have-characters.  Some of the cattle become oxen, laboring away to support the cause, all the brunt, odious work that never gets appreciated by anyone; some cattle are milked to the bone, giving 'till it hurts, taking out a second mortage on the house to pay for their kids "education," donating all their time and energy holding the parents' teas and alumni fundraisers; and some cattle are slaughtered for their flesh, psychological carnage along the way, the kids who become lifelong celibates, the kids who are drawn to resume that former "order" by seeking solace in cults or controlling relationships, the suicides years afterwards cuz they just can't cope anymore... namely, the veal.  

I am sure this scenario is in some science fiction movie somewhere, and if it isn't, it sure as hell should be.

I am very sorry to hear about your jacket, "Guest." That is some poignant pain. Those spineless assholes. I think you have many a story to tell; I've greatly enjoyed them all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:57:36 AM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
YouTube: 'Hyde New Dorm'
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:54:52 AM »
Okay, so here's the aforepromised clip. He lived in the New Dorm. In my day, one side was for boys, and the other was for girls. That changed as more girls enrolled. Then all the girls got moved to the OutHouse, which used to be for boys. I think the OutHouse held just a bit more than one side of the New Dorm did. Musical chairs, everyone...

Boy does it look run-down from when I remember it. But I sure as hell do remember that oh-so-depressing set up with the god-awful lounge in the front, the bathroom right behind, the painted cinderblock walls, and the portion of hallway accessing the rooms being 'bout 5-6 steps up from the lounge/bathroom level on either side (important when the bathroom floods). There were also a couple of students' rooms upstairs right behind the faculty apartment which was plonked right on top of the whole shebang. As I recall, that was where the rape of SF got started.

Did/do the other dorms really look like hotels? Not the rooms in the mansion; do students still even live in those? Also not the carriage house. That looked like a horse shed painted white; it was small, had mildew in the walls, and was falling apart. But at least it was small, less people. I get a little panicky inside, living with too many people. Maybe that's from Hyde. You could never get away from potential confrontations about your sucky attitude...

Hyde New Dorm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqdgBYIBpc

"Despite it being called New Dorm, this dorm was the first built on campus. While all the other ones look like hotels, this one reminds me of a prison. This is a tour of it."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:01:05 AM »
The thing that I find disturbing is that after all these years it seems to be the same shit, same shovel, same lack of self examination same lack of honesty.  What was it that Jesus said "if you are dishonest in small things, you will be dishonest in the large?"

Hey, Bible guy, wasn't it Ezekiel who said snow is like sin? Analyze that.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:05 AM »
What struck me about those dorms was the silent sterility. There was no noise and except for the lame graffiti wall no sign that teenagers lived there.  no posters on the walls or sporting gear lying around. No signs at all of any horseplay. Creepy
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen