Author Topic: Sexual assaults and inappropriate behavior by Hyde Staff  (Read 23528 times)

Offline Hydemom

• View Profile
Sexual assaults and inappropriate behavior by Hyde Staff
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Honor  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Weston M. Price

I attended Hyde school (Bath) roughly during the years of 1987-1988. I never finished, I was a discipline problem and never quite cared for any of the staff. In my time at Hyde I saw, or participated in:

Seeing a student (Stuart Grenik sp(?)) being struck by Joseph Gauld Sr (I was not the only one witness to this)

A sexual relationship with a teacher (with me)

My parents being paid off by Hyde to not press charges in regards to certain violations (see aforementioned relationship).

There is no substitute for evidence, facts, and actual testimony. Having been at Hyde for probably the worst time in it's history, I can attest to quite a few things regarding the school, it's founder, it's history, it's 'unique potential'.

Note, oddly enough. I am also a survivor of Straight Inc (Atlanta chapter).

Questions?
Yes, I have a question.  What would you call a Character Based School who has every opportunity to avoid a lawsuit by simply keeping the pedophile away from the victims yet refuses to do so?  I call this plain STUPIDITY, don't you?

I am the parent of a girl who was sexually fondled by a staff member with the initials LD.  Although Hyde would like you to believe that some lunatic parent made up a story about their daughter being molested by LD, this is not so! It's called "DENIAL" Hyde, when one wants to pretend something didn't happen in order to live with ones self.

LD did sexually fondle my daughter. The only reason we did not file criminal charges was because the attorney explained that our daughter would be put through more than she could handle going through a criminal trial. It was explained that she would be re traumatized. LD should consider himself lucky.

I asked over a six month period that LD not be allowed on campus.  Hyde would not agree to this no matter how hard I pleaded.  Their stance was that because LD was a parent at Hyde, (he was asked to resign from staff after we pursued this) he had every right to be on campus for his daughters activities, parent weekends, seminars, and the like.  As far as I was concerned, this not only gave him an opportunity to sexually harass other female students, it re traumatized my daughter by seeing him, as well as sent a very poor message to the other students about what kind of behavior would be tolerated on campus. After our many pleadings fell on deaf ears, we filed a lawsuit under Title IX.

When confronting Malcolm by phone and asking how he would like it if it had happened to his daughter, his response was, "my daughter could handle it."  Geez Louise, poor thing.  I hope she never has to go through something like our daughter. I am still waiting for Malcolm's apology and explanation for such a stupid remark. Also pretty sad that a head of a school would take this type of attitude. Hyde was however kind enough to offer that our daughter should move to the other campus. I guess this is how they offer assistance to a victim. Let the perpetrator stay where he is and enjoy his life in paid campus housing, and send the victim off to another place where she will feel even more isolated, not have any friends, etc.

In my estimation the whole sick culture at Hyde is pathetic, but I guess wherever there are desperate parents, there will be places like Hyde.  Good luck to all of you.  If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.  I also would be happy to speak to any incoming parents who might like to know more about Hyde.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:47:02 AM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Sexual assaults and inappropriate behavior by Hyde Staff
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
Quote from: ""Hydemom""
When confronting Malcolm by phone and asking how he would like it if it had happened to his daughter, his response was, "my daughter could handle it."

The implication seems to be that your daughter couldn't handle it.  What's there to handle?  I am sure most parents will be very pleased to hear that for that $40,000 they shell out to Hyde, their daughter will be less protected from sexual predators than if she walked down the main block in the combat zone butt naked.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
When confronting Malcolm by phone and asking how he would like it if it had happened to his daughter, his response was, "my daughter could handle it."

The implication seems to be that your daughter couldn't handle it.  What's there to handle?  I am sure most parents will be very pleased to hear that for that $40,000 they shell out to Hyde, their daughter will be less protected from sexual predators than if she walked down the main block in the combat zone butt naked.

Another thought comes to mind, namely just how Laura Denton (Malcolm's wife) chose to "handle it" in the past.  She got married to Malcolm!   :rofl:

Perhaps Hyde School had something along those lines lined up for your daughter!  Well, woman, you may have just missed a golden opportunity, ha ha ha!!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Hydemom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Another thought comes to mind, namely just how Laura Denton (Malcolm's wife) chose to "handle it" in the past.  She got married to Malcolm!   :rofl:

Perhaps Hyde School had something along those lines lined up for your daughter!  Well, woman, you may have just missed a golden opportunity, ha ha ha!!

I appreciate that you have a sense of humor but there is NOTHING humorous about a young girl trusting an older man in a position of authority, who was supposed to protect her, only to then have him fondle her and rape her of her trust in authority.

There was much more to this story.....what they put our daughter through, how they interogated her without us being informed of the crime, how they NEVER offered counseling, etc. For a school that is supposed to be based on "Concern" and "Integrity" they certainly didn't show any!

This is the past and we have moved on, but seeing this other person talk about sexual abuse I felt compelled to inform you that there are many more cases of the same at Hyde. Any parent who reads this website and still decides to send their kid to Hyde, must be nuts!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »
Hyde mom,

I agree. Nothing funny about it. It is pure blame the victim right out of the Catholic Church play book.  The chickens will come home to roost some day, they always do. Hyde will toss a parent out on their ear over simple disagreements but will embrace a sycophant guilty of moral and criminal transgressions.   It makes all the character BS exactly that.  BS.  They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
I have to say that my sense of humor as per Hyde's sexual peccadilloes (peck o' dildos?) has become increasingly cynical and sarcastic over the years as I begun to hear more and more, and I apologize if I have offended you with that.  I certainly was not trying to trivialize the matter.  Truly, I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg.

I think we are just now beginning to hear the stories from long ago.  The stories from not so long ago might have to take more time; at least we know about Dubinsky.  I think it takes a long time before people can process this to the point where they go public with it.

But this is how Hyde gets away with it.  The code of secrecy brought about by shame, the brainwashing that the kids' themselves are actually responsible for this, the guilt...  And the impression that you are the only one.  Time passes and you discover differently, but then it seems too late to make the school accountable to the public.  Maybe not.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »
I just read about your case over at ISAC yesterday, did you win the suit?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:46:58 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
I just read about your case over at ISAC yesterday, did you win the suit?

Are you talking about Dubinsky?  I believe they went all the way up to picking a jury, but then settled out of court.

These cases always get settled out of court.  The kids and parents are made to feel that this was a rare and will-never-happen-again event.  But it has been happening, again and again, for over 30 friggin' years!!

Offline Hydemom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
Hyde mom,

I agree. Nothing funny about it. It is pure blame the victim right out of the Catholic Church play book.  The chickens will come home to roost some day, they always do. Hyde will toss a parent out on their ear over simple disagreements but will embrace a sycophant guilty of moral and criminal transgressions.   It makes all the character BS exactly that.  BS.  They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

The difference between the Catholic Church and Hyde is that the Catholic Church has humbled themselves and are making sure this doesn't happen again. Hyde stood behind LD and when they finally made a statement it was, "LD will be taking a little time off to look at his life."
 There was no doubt that the "concern" was about LD, not the victim.

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
Hyde mom,

The difference between the Catholic Church and Hyde is that the Catholic Church has humbled themselves and are making sure this doesn't happen again. Hyde stood behind LD and when they finally made a statement it was, "LD will be taking a little time off to look at his life."

It is part of the Hyde ethos.  You are responsible for your experience at Hyde.  If Hyde does not work for you it is because you did not commit to the process.  So if you are sexually harassed at Hyde it is because you allowed it to happen.
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »
Hyde mom,

There's nothing really different.  The Catholic Church has been anything but humble regarding this and have taken the least amount of responsibiltiy that they possibly could.  Where's Cardinal Law right now?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Hydemom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:46 AM »
Quote from: ""JoeSoulBro""
Hyde mom,

It is part of the Hyde ethos.  You are responsible for your experience at Hyde.  If Hyde does not work for you it is because you did not commit to the process.  So if you are sexually harassed at Hyde it is because you allowed it to happen.

Very interesting that you say this.  When LD enjoyed himself rubbing his body all over my daughter she  complained to Ken Grant who then called her into a meeting with LD, (without my knowledge) along with other adult staff.  She was made to confront him in front of all. MY GOD, this was a sexual assault and they want a young teenage girl to be in the same room as the perpetrator to "confront" him??  Sorry, but this goes beyond sick!! Every single one of those staff who participated in this and knew it was wrong needs to look at themselves and ask why they were such cowards.  I am referring to the non family members who were upset yet kept silent.

Someone asked if we won the case.  The case was going to trial in Ct Federal Court.  The jury was selected.  Hyde then settled right before.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
Quote from: ""JoeSoulBro""

Very interesting that you say this.  When LD enjoyed himself rubbing his body all over my daughter she  complained to Ken Grant who then called her into a meeting with LD, (without my knowledge) along with other adult staff.  She was made to confront him in front of all. MY GOD, this was a sexual assault and they want a young teenage girl to be in the same room as the perpetrator to "confront" him??  Sorry, but this goes beyond sick!! Every single one of those staff who participated in this and knew it was wrong needs to look at themselves and ask why they were such cowards.  I am referring to the non family members who were upset yet kept silent.

This picture is achingly similar to the picture of Hyde School thinking there was nothing wrong with assembling the student body for butt naked fat measurements.

Point is, Hyde thinks there is nothing wrong with this.  

And it doesn't matter that the rest of the world thinks there is something wrong with this, cuz the rest of the world is in a piss-poor position to judge character.  Character being, of course, what Hyde is the expert at.

Remember, Joe said "leave the character judgments to us, we are in a better position to judge than parents are" (paraphrase; emphasis added).

The fact that they think there is nothing wrong with these kinds of things reflects a very sick, conservative, and paternalistic outlook.  The bottom of that barrel has yet to be scraped.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:36:58 AM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »

Yep, common practice amongst cults.  When I was in Straight I did talk to one person about being sexually abused as a kid.  It got back to staff that I had "admitted" this (that was the term they used) and I was summoned to an 'executive meeting'.  "Dr." Newton and his bitch wife Ruth Ann grilled me about what happened in front of a few male staffers.  Ruth Ann berated me to "accept my responsibility" for what happened.  I was SEVEN. (when the sexual abuse happened, not when I was in Straight, wanted to be clear on that)

They're not going to "look at themselves", are you kidding?  They don't give a shit.  Sad but true.

Someone asked if we won the case.  The case was going to trial in Ct Federal Court.  The jury was selected.  Hyde then settled right before.

I think I remember talking to you before.  How was Hyde in a position to settle?  Who were the parties to the suit?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:43:15 AM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
They're not going to "look at themselves", are you kidding?  They don't give a shit.  Sad but true.

Yup.  They roll their eyes.  It's the subject of jokes.

I'm sure it's brought up in faculty meetings, "Whatever you do, don't post on fornits so they don't know you're reading it."  And then, every once in a while, a newbie faculty member, duly indoctrinated but a bit hazy on the rules, posts anyway, "This is a cesspool!"
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: