Author Topic: pete gregory is a douch bag  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
pete gregory is a douch bag
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:39:14 PM »
yeah that reminds me of the 60s
back to the point Peter Gregory is a douch bag fatty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
pete gregory is a douch bag
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 04:22:47 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
yeah that reminds me of the 60s
back to the point Peter Gregory is a douch bag fatty

Well... either that was a typo or you are already toked tonight, cuz even I don't know too many people associated with Hyde from the 60s...

Unless, you are implying/informing that Pete Gregory is a descendant/relative of Dick Gregory, the 60s activist...
http://www.stlouiswalkoffame.org/induct ... egory.html
http://www.dickgregory.com/about_dick_gregory.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gregory

Some quotes...
  • Hell hath no fury like a liberal scorned.
  • I never learned hate at home, or shame. I had to go to school for that.
  • What we're doing in Vietnam is using the black man to kill the yellow man so the white man can keep the land he took from the red man.
  • I never believed in Santa Claus because I knew no white dude would come into my neighborhood after dark.
  • I am really enjoying the new Martin Luther King Jr stamp - just think about all those white bigots, licking the backside of a black man.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: pete gregory is a douch bag
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
Quote from: "hyde88"
Also, I was the roommate of James Roman, whom I believe is still the only student to actually die at Hyde. He was 14 years old and had a brain annaerism and died on a Sunday.

There was, at one time, a tree planted in his honor right in front of the gym. It has since been removed (I know, because I go back to Maine regularly). I am not sure where it ended up.
Quote from: "hyde88"
Well, to be fair, James (after the autopsy) was revealed to have an enlarged heart. According to the medical folks, that pumped too much blood to his brain, which caused the condition.

He was on scholarship, from NY and he was a great and bright kid. I will always remember him and that day at Hyde. It's ironic that in all these posts on this forum, I have yet to read his name once. BTW, Hyde sponsors a Basketball tournament in his name.

Small compensation.

Speaking of which, I happened to come across the following sports brief re. the 20th annual James Roman Basketball Tournament. Ironic that his jersey number was 14, and he died at age 14... I guess that was not his lucky number.

Sports briefs; Dec. 4, 2008
[email protected]
12/04/2008

James Roman hoop tourne this weekend

BATH — Hyde School is scheduled to host the 20th annual James Roman Basketball Tournament in the Hyde School gym this Friday and Saturday.

Three girls' teams and three boys' teams from Hyde-Bath, Hyde-Woodstock (Conn.), and Kents Hill will battle for the championship under James' retired No. 14 jersey.

The tournament was started in 1989 to honor the life of James Roman. As a freshman, James played confidently in the Maine State Basketball Tournament at the Augusta Civic Center.

As an honors student, he displayed spirit and determination off the court, as well. In 1988, in his sophomore year, James passed away on the court during a pick-up game. In a tribute to him after his funeral, Malcolm Gauld, president of Hyde School, said, "James was a very deep kid with impeccable character. He carried himself with strength and pride, which is characteristic of all young men and women who grow up in close-knit families with respect for human values.

"For me, this tournament has always stood as a tribute to the idea of playing for the love of the game. That was the way James approached basketball and life. That's what this tournament is all about."

On Friday, the schedule has Hyde-Bath girls vs. Kents Hill at 4:30 p.m., followed by Kents Hill boys vs. Hyde-Woodstock at 6 p.m., Hyde-Woodstock girls vs. Kents Hill at 7:30 p.m. and Kents Hill boys vs. Hyde-Bath at 9 p.m.

On Saturday, the schedule has the Hyde-Bath girls vs. Hyde-Woodstock at 9:30 a.m. and Hyde-Bath boys vs. Hyde-Woodstock at 11 a.m.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
What a funny thread.

I remember Pete and Bob from those days... and back then, they were assholes.  Today, who cares?

Hyde88 - whoever you are - I'm sure we know each other.

The truth is that at the end of the day, there are a few fundamental truths about Hyde:

1.  Good people who go there either soon leave or rot from the inside out.
2.  People who drink the kool-aid are lifers (both faculty and students).
3.  Some of the faculty are quite well-meaning.  But without proper training such well meaning-ness is ultimately flawed.

Those of us who have lived through it and can look back with unclouded vision will not always agree about how Hyde was - it was a unique experience for each individual.  My personal horror stories aren't nearly as bad as others - but their worse than some.  Then again, my triumphs/successes are different, too.

Would I recommend someone go there today?  Probably not.  Am I a better person today because I went through it back then?  Absolutely.

Strange how that works.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »
Quote from: "YetAnotherGuest"
Would I recommend someone go there today? Probably not. Am I a better person today because I went through it back then? Absolutely.

Strange how that works.

Mmmm... Not so strange when you consider what a gigantic ego stroke it is for Joe Gauld that even folk with plenty to say against Hyde, still claim that it made them "a better person." Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making lemonade when all you've got is lemons, but there comes a point when ya just gotta cut your losses and let the tired myth die a well-deserved death.

IMO, one of the most appalling travesties that Hyde School commits is the stifling of critical thinking skills in young developing minds. This dumbing down lasts long into adulthood for most people, well past the realization that the place is based on the egocentric fantasies of an alcoholic megalomaniac with a failed sales career. "Brilliant math teacher," my ass. The guy couldn't pass a introductory logic course and supplies proof every time he opens his mouth.

Try reading Mein Kampf for more insight on what "character development" really means at Hyde.

That said, your observations on "fundamental truths" are spot on:

Quote from: "YetAnotherGuest"
The truth is that at the end of the day, there are a few fundamental truths about Hyde:

1. Good people who go there either soon leave or rot from the inside out.
2. People who drink the kool-aid are lifers (both faculty and students).
3. Some of the faculty are quite well-meaning. But without proper training such well meaning-ness is ultimately flawed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
point is Pete Gregory will never grow up

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
In 1988, in his sophomore year, James passed away on the court during a pick-up game.

They really don't take sports injuries or injuries from outpost seriously. There's stigma to bringing attention to injuries because youre labeled a slacker or faking it. Not jsut by teachers but other students too. I ruptured an artery or vein in my thumb and it turned completely blue and ballooned up to twice normal size. I brought it to the attention of my coach and he asked was there anything I wanted him to do about it, like it was a real hardship for him. I felt embarrassed and dropped it. The swelling and blue color didnt go away for 2 wks. I made a splint out of an empty toilet paper roll with masking tape to keep it immobile it hurt like hell. I think I may have had a cracked or broken bone or tendon, it never healed quite right and hasn't been straight since.

Offline Violet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
I wonder what happened at the Bath campus that Pete Gregory is being "transferred" to the Woodstock campus.  Just like the Catholic Church, Hyde shuffles its predators from one campus to another.

Looks like he got caught with his pants down again.