Author Topic: Still?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Still?
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
How can this stuff go on still?
Aren't there enough of 'us' to make a dent even?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Still?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
You're once...twice... three times a Seedling.. and lo-o-o-ove..you....

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Still?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:15:04 PM »
Nice to hear from  you, ahem..Lionel.

Truth is 3X, we have made more than a dent.  Since we started talking about the Seed and the Straight, and Ginger put up the fornits forum 7 years ago or so,  the results have been dramatic.  People have come forth by the thousands and told their stories and stepped up to warn potential new recruit and their parents.

Yes, the abuses continue..but no longer unabated.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Still?!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Lionel Ritchie""
You're once...twice... three times a Seedling.. and lo-o-o-ove..you....

Thanks for the epiph(nevermind)...Thanks for the 'realitycheck' there, Lionel.  It's: "I" lo-o-o-ove you, just like @the Seed!  Wait...that's right; you wrote it, right?  Were you in a 'program' too?
Years later I can guess why that lyric got to me.
'I Can See Clearly Now the rain is gone!  I can see all obstacles in my way.'  That one  makes me want to throw electronics out the window   :wink:   Still...
I missed 'Zip-pity-Do-Dah', thank God.

So Greg: Who's 'people'? :wink:

bbasap
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Still?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
People.

They would be the children and parents  from Straight, The Seed, Safe, growing together and the various teen help programs that are synanon based, the Authors writing books, the lawyers who have represented us, The newspaper editors, Montel Williams, Periodicals like 'high times' and "these are new times" that picked the story up then and now, People writing these stories, people participating in blogs thruout the net, People public speaking on their experiences, the many parents  who have read these forums and come away going "okay..my kid has problems...but no way am I putting him/her in a program like that".  The everyday people who respond to articles, blogs and these forums with comments like "is that really going on in America..who is speaking for these children?"

It has been a collective effort with the result being a net loss of acceptance of these places in The hearts of the american people.  Sure, these places still exist and people still cheer when Maury brings out a 30 year old muscled man  to red-faced scream and yell in the face of a frightened 13 year old,but changes like this..changes ingrained in the social fabric of a nation raised on the drug war and help at any cost, and  who have never known anything but 'the fight', will only come as we tell our story and continue to encourage others to do the same.

So, these forums really have several functions as I see it.

1) allow people who were in these programs a way to explore what happened to them  free from the distortions and emotions of talking to family about it, and free from the shame of publicly admitting their incarceration in a 'drug rehab' to their friends in real life and all the negative assumptions that come with that, thereby offering a protected place to discuss this very emotional and strange thing that happened to us as children and to come to terms with what it means to have been in a treatment cult.

2)  Allow an environment where debate can occur (at least here on the Seed forum) without the threat of extreme personal attacks.  This way, we can all adjust our emotionally held preconceptions of what occurred without being shouted down.  We all need to.  No matter what side of the issues you come down on, it is inevitable that you have interjected your own 'stuff' into your memory as this is human nature.  This alone allows the truth to bubble to the surface and is evident to anyone who has read thru this forum.

3)  a resource for the media.  An important part of telling a story is to have others with more power tell it for you.   As such, the fornits and related websites have been used to write books, for references on blogs, on television, and hopefully major print and video to come.

4)  finally, and perhaps most dear to me, to provide a place where people who have carried collateral damage; self worth issues, anger, alienation, feelings of hoplessness, inappropriate socialization (coming down on someone lately? Told anyone your 'feelings' within 5 minutes of meeting them..much to their horror?),  post tramatic stress, loss of family ties, whatever... can work thru their problems and emerge healthier and happier

There are more positive results.  The only negative result I have seen is some petty bickering, some people who have mental problems and become obsessed and stuck back there and blame all their current problems on what happened in the Seed/straight/pickyourprogram.   But all in all, I am very happy and proud of the efforts and people who have created and contributed even just one word to these forums.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Still?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
Amazing how such a small exchange can provoke such large issues.
I was in my last year of high school @ N.E.*  I was finally home and I was going to graduate.  That's what I thought anyway.  
So one of my classes was Library Science: it was kinda cool.  You worked in the library for that period.  So I'm working and I see these  two girls I've known longer than I've been in theSeed:  I nod my head 'hello', and when I get close enough, I hear them quietly singing  "Rockin' Robin"(remember the, old Jackson5 tune?).  Here's the best part:
I never 'got that' until I read Lionel's post here :exclaim:
AND
Even if they had been singing 'Zippity-Do-Dah', I still wouldn't have caught it ...until Lionel wrote that.

Greg: That would make 'us' 'people', wouldn't it?  About time.

It feels better talking about this junk, and feels right doing it in this forum-I'd never have done this elsewhere-Thankyou

When I started reading here, I had no clue why.  Had no clue I was missing years from my life, as well as 'selective' memories.  I still have no clue why.  I know this forum has been a 'safe' place for  me to 'open all the windows and air out the house' so to speak. All in my life that came from theSeed is a few 'quirks' here&there (I don't do 'outhouses'.  Couple of songs I can't take.  Normal stuff, ya know?)  Can you imagine:  I used to think I was 'normal'.  yeahsureright .

I have managed to piece everything back together except my time @theSeed.  So I'm working on '71-'73, but that's for another page...

I do remember Muskey and all 'the suits' coming to visit on Andrews Ave.
That was around the time of the documentary, which I'm shocked is NOT available on line somewhere.  I also remember practicing relaxation and self-hypnosis with my oldcomers family and I still use some of it when I can't sleep.  
This had nothing to do with Art or the group:  I really wanted to 'get it', and I was willing to let go of everything if I had to.  

I am also surprised to find such 'strong objections' to this website.  Don't know if I'm more surprised by the objections or my surprise.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"