Author Topic: Beth Update  (Read 5688 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Beth Update
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:33:10 AM »
I am taking this as a sign from God not to get too involved with her damn dogs after telling me she found homes for them.  She managed to lose her lighter and now has to take the van to the top of Mt. Pilliar and ride the brakes all the way down until they are hot enough to fire up a joint.
  Without a car, she will never realize her dream of causing a 47 car pile-up at Talledega, but there is still time to make the trials for the Iteneron Dogsled race. Trying to help placate the mentally ill on THEIR terms is like trying to sharpen a lawnmower blade while the fuckin thing is running.  It can't be done, and you are crazy for trying.  With any luck, Mom will move her back home, the fall leaves and shorter days will trigger Seasonal Depression, she'll have a good Labor Day, get into a good therapist take some meds that actually work, and by Halloween, she can come as a normal person.
I for one am sure looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:29:04 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Beth Update
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:21:07 AM »
85 days my ass!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »
Who is Beth and isn't some of that information in your post a bit... personal/private?

Wait!! Does my post now count as an oxymoron? :o
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »
Wow Bob.  I'm no fan of Beth's but that was completely un-necessary.  

:roll:

Offline seamus

• View Profile
IN 85 dj 's defence........like he needs it.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:38 PM »
I DONT see his post as malisicious,more like a warning,and it contains a little hope for a not so good spot to be in in life.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:23:15 PM »
Hell, I wouldn't want that kind of personal info about my life plastered all over here.  Especially in context with the other stuff he's posted about her.

just my .02

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »
Bob…I don’t read every post, so…I don’t know Beth. I must admit, I ponder as I re-read this post…and please, in all sincerity…are ya on your meds…seeing folks ya need to be seeing? I thought ya pulling up stakes and hauling up to the Appalachia was well…I didn’t really know why ya choose to do so…but ya did and that’s cool. It aint the financial capital of the world, but it is beautiful country…Another thing I was wondering….did ya move up there chasing this Beth? Not knowing who Beth is, or what kind of relation you have with her…well, set that aside…This info you gave given is scandalous. Lets suppose she did get al her shit in one sock and your shit in another sock. Would you really, in your heart feel good about what you have written bout her in this venue…of all venues! OY!

Your last paragraph says everything you need to know about yourself. IMHO

But I am probably most curious about your meds and your people.

In Peace
woof
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:12:45 PM »
I know Beth about as well as anybody here does, and I gotta say I don't think it's too cool to make light of or fun of her situation.  She has my sympathy, I just know that she has some issues that I can not help her with.  She suffered through Straight possibly more than most; pain is a relative, subjective thing.  I'm not gonna go off on any tirade here against anybody, but I think it really sucks to make light of another survivor's problems.  I think that many of us misplace trust in one another, possibly 'cause we share the common bond of having 'been there'.  Well, we DO have that common bond, but if that is the only bond that we share, then that in and of itself does not make someone trustworthy.  This goes against what was deeply ingrained in us in Straight's weirdo culture of 'transparency', 'honesty', and rampant snitchery and mindfucks.  I think it's a mistake that is commonly made by survivors, trusting one another a bit more than may be appropriate for the situation.  From what I understand, that is a symptom of PTSD, a condition which runs rampant through the ranks of survivors for reasons that are self-evident to those of us that 'were there'.  Now I'm not saying that you can't trust anyone you meet in Survivorland, on the contrary, there are individuals that I really do feel the "deep and implicit trust" that Miller Newton tried to counterfeit each open meeting.....but individuals like that are few and far between, in and out of Survivorland.    

I really hope Beth is able to resolve whatever issues she is dealing with, and I am sorry to hear of her recent misfortunes with her van and living situation.  I don't think it's cool to make light of her, or any survivor in her condition.   Just because I can not help her with her problems doesn't mean I think it's cool to make fun of her, I think it's kind of mean.  Kicking her when she's down is really cruel.  Coming from someone she knows and trusted, however naive and misplaced that trust was, just goes to show how careful you need to be when you place any kind of trust in anyone.  The simple fact that they are also a Straight survivor is not in and of itself sufficient reason for bestowing this trust.  This seems like an obvious statement to make, but I think it is something survivors need to keep in mind, because of the tendencies some of us have, to place inappropriate trust in each other, a common symptom of PTSD, I'm told by people who read case studies about that type of thing.

So anyway, give the Beth-bashing a rest, will you guys?  As a personal favor to me?  The poor girl's got enough to worry about as it is, there's no need to be mean to her, and it really isn't that funny at all.
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
I Speak From Experience
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:42 AM »
For starters, to get up close and personal with the mentally ill takes a great deal of sacrifice.  They will suck your punk rockers from 7pm until 5am, before my therapist consumed 43 beers, 3 rum and cokes, ran from northshore beach to the end of The Pier and back, bought a fresh twelve pack at 8am, drank seven of those and slept for 1 1/2 hours before my dad came and drove me a brand new treatment facility that basically changed my very night while on the unit, unmedicated, and under observation by the staff so I would not harm myself or others.  I was completely out of air conditioning so I could sleep.  It was complete and total coincidence that we were brought together that way, and therefore Beth is no big deal to me, but yeah, she's a real handful for anyone outside the mental health arena.

This aint no peace out, groovy man, don't harsh my buzz kind of   dust encrusted vehicle acting like you mean you will loan her your fucking car cuz its such a Cool Man Cool thing to do and will help your Karma or some shit?  Yeah, it will be real cool getting it out of impound, what else is money for, ya know?

As far as Anonymity goes, that fucking rule was made by our GODDAMN OPPRESSORS, so I am REAL fucking leary when I hear people whine about shit said in this forum breaking someones anonymity.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:00:01 AM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:31:11 AM »
85 Day Jerk.... I just felt the need to chime in make a statement... I personally do not know either of you, however I am picking up on your hurt. I seem to think maybe, just maybe you had some expectations on Beth that she could not meet.

I too know what it like to have feelings for a flighty little "Hippy Chick" that is unable to deal with her own life..... Not to mention unable to settle down and share it with anyone else on an intimate level.

I guess what I am really saying is to be grateful for the time she gave you.... Wish her health and happiness ( just what you would want for your self ).

After being in "Straight," we are all damaged goods and we have to keep that in mind when we deal with each other. I know it is hard to accept this stuff especially when we have our own hopes and dreams.... But this is no fantasy world where we will live happily ever after.

Again this is the opinion of someone who is damaged goods, so just take it for what it is worth.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""
After being in "Straight," we are all damaged goods and we have to keep that in mind when we deal with each other. I know it is hard to accept this stuff especially when we have our own hopes and dreams.... But this is no fantasy world where we will live happily ever after.

Right on, Botched.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
Ok, so I have limited dealings with this lady, Beth....strictly exchanges on this forum....and to be honest, I have no opinion about the idea of posting personal garbage about one another on this forum.  Not only do we post enough about ourselves to fill an airplane hanger, its pretty much a given that if you hang around long enough someone is going to stir up your dirty laundry.  I expect it, and frankly...if it mattered to me so much...I wouldnt visit the forums.

I do know that 85 has a point on dealing with someone with her type of issues on a personal level, and I find it 100% acceptable to give an honest warning about the possibility of being taken advantage of by someone under these influences.  I am currently dealing with a situation not at all unlike what 85 describes he went through....and it very simply isnt enough to just wish someone love and hope and respect their hardship.  These people can and WILL eat you alive if you give them an inch into your life.  Its okay and nice and pretty to have sympathy and empathy from afar....but its no playing matter to let someone like this into your life.  Its my opinion that if anyone wants to feel bad for Beth, they should have her camping at their place for a week or so, and then re-evaluate.  

Of course she has illness, and needs support and a kind ear....but i dont think thats something anyone around here is really qualified to provide...not really, and thats okay...its just honest.  

My father in law is a watered down version of Beth, and i just went through two years of thinking that if i could just help him out, he'd get better....and he got nothing but worse...on my dime.  Now, i am having to expell him from my life in a manner inconsitent with my values.....but there is no oither choice.  Some people will suck you dry and spit you out, then turn and say it was you who did them dirty.  Its a gross feeling...really gross.

Ive seen beths posts around here, and I dont honestly think there is anything 85 has posted about her that she woudlnt post herself if it could support her illness....thats sad, but its my two centas.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »
What is her illness, is she sick mentally or physically? Whatever is wrong goodluck to all involved.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
I think it was more the intent behind his post that people were reacting to.  I don't believe for a minute that this was just a simple warning to others.  (If I'm wrong, my bad.  If he was really concerned with warning people, he wouldn't have had so much fun with the post) He loves to read his own written word and looks for any chance to come off with some clever retort.  This was his excuse, this Beth Update thread that he started.  Agreed Beth is a pain in the ass but I just didn't see any reason to post what he did in the manner that he did.  

But, that's just MHO.  I ain't out for his blood, I just thought it was kind of tacky.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Beth Update
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:29:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I think it was more the intent behind his post that people were reacting to.  I don't believe for a minute that this was just a simple warning to others.  (If I'm wrong, my bad.  If he was really concerned with warning people, he wouldn't have had so much fun with the post) He loves to read his own written word and looks for any chance to come off with some clever retort.  This was his excuse, this Beth Update thread that he started.  Agreed Beth is a pain in the ass but I just didn't see any reason to post what he did in the manner that he did.  

But, that's just MHO.  I ain't out for his blood, I just thought it was kind of tacky.

Could be...no doubt.  But from my estimation she has a habit of contacting people personally from the forum and attempting to garner favors or housing/shelter etc. from them pretty agressively.  [/b]
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere