Author Topic: Rocklyn Academy(Canada)  (Read 42605 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 05:24:39 PM »
Logan-you need to call the OPP or crimestoppers and make a complaint.

Who stripsearched your daughter? Staff at Rocklyn? If so, you need the names of the staff that stripsearched her. Don't write the details here-that is your daughters private info, but the police should know.Its possibly assault-who knows how they get around that one, as well as supervising washroom/shower activities as stated on their RAMP program(which they have removed from their site but is preserved in another thread here).  Outline the details of the RAMP program, and where she believed it was so intolerable she had to run-as she scared of someone?

Was she ever advised of her rights? Also, were you led to believe Darryl Williams was a dr? If anyone provided medical advice you need to be clear with them on dates if possible, if you have copies of any bills sent for any medical advice procedures etc..very important. Write down all the facts in coherent, chronological order. If you can, some legal advice would be good-a lawyer would at least be able to tell you how to proceed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 10:56:36 PM »
I will be contacting the OPP for sure and we have already retained legal counsel to address the fraud.  Our daughter will gladly provide details of the false promises as well as expose the fact that as far as academics go, the kids use a self teaching book (according to my daughter).  There are NO qualified teachers, no qualified psychologists, therapists, counsellors, doctors.  Nothing!!
Darryl Williams and his wife Anne Kossatz are con artists and are good at it!!They had us convinced and we signed all types of documents hastily because of the tense situation and to this day,we don't have a copy of the agreement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Glad you have a lawyer to help guide you through this.Do Dale Stohn and Bob Shaw still own Rocklyn Academy? If so, they are also ultimately responsible-since they know he is not a Dr. Sounds like a big mess for them-they deserve to be held accountable if they broke laws and to repay every family they screwed over. Good luck with this. I hope the police consider the main issue here is the girls' safety and rights. That is the priority.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »
Can anyone help me to find out who actually owns Rocklyn Academy.  I know that Anne Kossatz is Executive Director and makes most decisions and Darryl Williams, is listed as Director of Admissions.  These two are married and involved in the Bar 5 Farms marketing scam  Darryl Williams has been formally charged and is currently attemptint to make bail.  Anyone who has information on this guy should report it immediately.  I think he's a flight risk!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
Quote from: "logans24"
Can anyone help me to find out who actually owns Rocklyn Academy.  I know that Anne Kossatz is Executive Director and makes most decisions and Darryl Williams, is listed as Director of Admissions.  These two are married and involved in the Bar 5 Farms marketing scam  Darryl Williams has been formally charged and is currently attemptint to make bail.  Anyone who has information on this guy should report it immediately.  I think he's a flight risk!!
According to Rocklyn Academy's website, it was founded by Dale Stohn and Robert Shaw. As far as I know, they still own it.

According to Network Solutions, the website is registered to:

Domain Name: ROCKLYNACADEMY.COM
       Registrar: TLDS, LLC DBA SRSPLUS
       Whois Server: whois.srsplus.com
       Referral URL: http://www.srsplus.com
       Name Server: NS2.IMPHOSTING.COM
       Name Server: NS3.IMPHOSTING.COM
       Updated Date: 09-oct-2008
       Creation Date: 08-nov-1999
       Expiration Date: 08-nov-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:42:09 UTC <<<
    [/list]

Are there any other names that you can give us of staff/faculty that work there (in addition to Darryl Williams and Anne Kossatz)? Rocklyn apparently took their staff page(s) off the website recently.
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: ISAC Watch List
    « Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
    I will be contacting the OPP for sure and we have already retained legal counsel to address the fraud. Our daughter will gladly provide details of the false promises as well as expose the fact that as far as academics go, the kids use a self teaching book (according to my daughter). There are NO qualified teachers, no qualified psychologists, therapists, counsellors, doctors. Nothing!!
    Darryl Williams and his wife Anne Kossatz are con artists and are good at it!!They had us convinced and we signed all types of documents hastily because of the tense situation and to this day,we don't have a copy of the agreement.
    Please consider filing personal statements and/or other material with ISAC.

Cross-posted on one of the Darryl Williams threads:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Quote from: "Ursus"
    Quote from: "Guest"
    Rocklyn is not on the ISAC (International Survivors in Action Corporation) website!
    http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.asp
    It appears that it is:

Rocklyn Academy - Canada - Info Coming Soon!

However, that is not an active link yet. You folks better get cracking and send them your testimonies!

:whip:
    Update:

Apparently, ISAC has already received several very long and very detailed complaints about Rocklyn that came with a "don't make this public" request.

True to the ideals of integrity and consideration for the victims of said abuses, when thus requested, ISAC subsequently ... does not make them public.

However, in order for ISAC to be able to put documents detailing noted abuses at Rocklyn Academy on ISAC's website, they will need material that can be made public.

Having your name withheld from what gets put on the website is not the same thing as "don't make this [entire document] public," so perhaps there has been some confusion involved in that interpretation.

If you are one of those people who has submitted material to ISAC, and wish to have your material made public, just your name withheld, I strongly encourage you to re-contact ISAC to clarify your intentions.

Here are some examples of material that would be useful: personal statements (could be from student/client, parent, relative, etc.); copies of police reports; copies of or links to pertinent published material, e.g., local news reports, etc.; copies of legal wranglings, e.g., depositions, lawsuits filed, etc.; physician statements or reports, mental health assessments or reports; and more that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.

So, folks... if you want that place holder on ISAC's Watch list to become an active link, ya gotta give them some stuff to put there.

2nd Update:

Here is what is posted on ISAC's Watch List vis a vis Rocklyn Academy thus far:

Rocklyn Academy

Rocklyn Academy is an all-girls emotional growth boarding school located in Meaford, Ontario, Canada.

Rocklyn Academy is licensed by the Ministry of Education as a private school. The facility is not licensed as a treatment center.

The owners are Dale Stohn and Bob Shaw.

ISAC has received complaints alleging the following:

• The facility accepts children with true drug addiction, but these children receive no supportive care while enduring withdrawal from drugs.
    • The facility accepts violent children.
    • Other students are not adequately protected from violent children.
    • Food is often undercooked and the portions are inadequate.
    • Phone calls to parents are limited and are not allowed if the student is not complying with the program.
    • Staff members listen in on phone call with parents.
    • Children on lower levels are observed while showering and using the toilet.
    • Children on lower levels are supervised by children on higher levels.
    • Strip searches and full cavity searches occur at random.
    • Children on lower levels are not allowed outside for any reason, including exercise.
    • Children are subjected to bizarre punishments, such as banning the use of a hair brush and limiting the amount of toilet paper that can be used.
    • Eating disorders and self-mutilation are "punishable offenses."

IMPORTANT NOTE: ISAC has received two complaints alleging sexual misconduct by the same staff member.

Parents are urged to exercise extreme caution when considering placement at Rocklyn Academy.

If you have documents or additional information, please contact us at [email protected].

This section is currently under construction. Please check back soon.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
    According to Rocklyn Academy's website, it was founded by Dale Stohn and Robert Shaw. As far as I know, they still own it.

According to Network Solutions, the website is registered to:

Domain Name: ROCKLYNACADEMY.COM
         Registrar: TLDS, LLC DBA SRSPLUS
         Whois Server: whois.srsplus.com
         Referral URL: http://www.srsplus.com
         Name Server: NS2.IMPHOSTING.COM
         Name Server: NS3.IMPHOSTING.COM
         Updated Date: 09-oct-2008
         Creation Date: 08-nov-1999
         Expiration Date: 08-nov-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:42:09 UTC <<<
      [/list]

Are there any other names that you can give us of staff/faculty that work there (in addition to Darryl Williams and Anne Kossatz)? Rocklyn apparently took their staff page(s) off the website recently.

Dale Stohn and Bob Shaw own Rocklyn, or at least did recently-though who knows if it has been partly sold to Williams and Kossatz. Dale touts herself as a psychotherapist. Dubious-believe me, some of the shit she pulled on my dd would never have been done by a trained, ethical professional. I cannot fnd any actual professional organizations she belongs to. Snake oil sales person. She knows that Darryl Williams is a con. She was told he was not a medical doctor several years ago. So she was either stupid enough to keep him on as admissions director, or she is complicit in the admissions process knowing that parents are being mislead. Whenever there is a problem , or if a parent becomes concerned about an issue-they just pass you off from one person to another, all playing dumb. The financial buck always seems to stop at Darryl though. And if you get too close to the truth, all of a sudden your dd will get sent packing and you can kiss an entire yr of tuition away, whether you have been there 6 weeks or 6 months.

Julia Tkach is apparently the current head of day to day residence life/counselling. No qualifications I can find. Mark Pratt is theGroup Therapist, with master of Divinity degrees. The girls adore him, he tried to make things fun. However, he apparently has years of background in the field, has been at Rocklyn several years and has no clue of the abuses going on there?? Puhleeeze. :ftard: Again, the red flags are so glaring he is choosing to ignore them, or has no clue what he is doing. Not sure if Janet Lawler is still there-she is head of residence.

Most of the staff change so frequently, impossible to be kept track of them, though if your lawyer needs a list of witnesses, its not going to be hard to dig up  the past few years. Anyone with half a brain would figure out that watching kids go to the washroom, shower  or doing body cavity searches is going to land them in trouble. And anyone with half a brain realizes that there is nothing therapeutic happening at Rocklyn. Its a remote area with few jobs. Most of the girls have more knowledge of the world and life experience than the staff.

Teachers who have been there the longest-Angie Sproule Whitton, Laura Murray, Christine Harrison(who double duties as a chiropractor, and gets to charge the girls for those services).

Here is a cached version of old web pages for rocklyn.
      http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://rocklynacademy.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
      hello,ashley ur not the only one, i also was sent there for 6 months and hated it. Personally i gained 75 pounds while being trapped in that hellhole. The windows were bolted so u could only open them about an inch, it was considered a "privilege" to talk to your parents for 15 minuets per week. I  witnessed  a situation where a girl had very bad depression and the staff was refusing to give her the medication she was prescribed by a doctor. I am so happy to be home again and happy to hear something is finally being done about this terrible school.  Im sorry but i just have to say F you Rocklyn Academy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
      Quote from: "tat_s"
      hello,ashley ur not the only one, i also was sent there for 6 months and hated it. Personally i gained 75 pounds while being trapped in that hellhole. The windows were bolted so u could only open them about an inch, it was considered a "privilege" to talk to your parents for 15 minuets per week. I  witnessed  a situation where a girl had very bad depression and the staff was refusing to give her the medication she was prescribed by a doctor. I am so happy to be home again and happy to hear something is finally being done about this terrible school.  Im sorry but i just have to say F you Rocklyn Academy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Often, they make up some garbage that the girl needs a therapist online on the phone-and then bill the parents a fortune. Emails were read, and often denied-both ways. The girls were threatened about what they could not say to their parents-like complaining-or they would be punished, lose levels etc.

The work detail is ridiculous. Making a mentally ill kid pick up used tampons, and clean toilets and laugh while she gagged. My dd still is traumatized by the stuff they forced her to do. Sick sick people.

Denying medication. Holy shit. With no dr there-what were they thinking?. My daughter seriously deteriorated there because she was not taking her meds. They used coloured cups. The girls would spit them in the glass and then crush them and snort them. Found  The staff was so incompetent. Dangerously and recklessly incompetent. And when the girl deterioarates, it is her fault-she is manipulative, faking, attention seeking. She attempted suicide and they did not get medical help until the next day and only after someone on staff let it slip in a phone conversation with me. Thank god we got her out. We were mislead to believe she was under medical care. Mental health resources are limited in Ontario and they took advantage of this. We lost over 30,000$, but more importantly we lost valuable months in determining a diagnosis and getting treatment-she was seriously ill. We almost lost her. I beg parents to please do careful research. I can't think of any girl that this place is suitable for.

And to the parents out there who sent their girls to Rocklyn and who are in denial and don't beleive what their dd's are telling them about this place. Sit down and listen. Carefully.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
      also girls could not have personal email accounts. They had to submit them to a staff member , who either didn't send or deliver them unless they liked what they read. With no access to phone, and no way to contact parents-they were frightened and confused and vulnerable. Even a locked psych wards allow a daily visit and phone calls unmonitored.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »
      Darryl Williams, the man who did the sales pitch to me to convince me to enroll my daughter at Rocklyn, was arrested for fraud with a hamburger/beef business of his.  When my daughter was asked to leave the school 2 weeks earlier than planned because it would be inconvenient for the school, there was no refund of tuition despite the fact my daughter had completed the program and counsellors agreed she was ready to go home.  Very very very frustrating.  

The owners are impossible to contact, I must have left over a dozen messages asking to speak with the owners. I think it's  Dale Stohn and Robert Shaw who are listed as founders, but not sure if that means owners.

Anyone interested in sharing their stories should contact Scott Dunn at the Sun Times in Owen sound.  He was the reporter on the beef fraud case.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
      Thanks for the contact name.

There is another related discussion on another thread in the troubled teen forum.
      viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28283

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Re: Rocklyn Academy (Canada)
      « Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
      Quote from: "Been There, buyer beware"
      Anyone interested in sharing their stories should contact Scott Dunn at the Sun Times in Owen sound.  He was the reporter on the beef fraud case.
      I was unable to find Scott Dunn's specific contact info, but here is the general contact info of the Sun Times:

Owen Sound Sun Times Contact Details

Send all correspondence to:

Owen Sound Sun Times
          290 9th Street East
          Owen Sound
          N4K 5P2[/list]
          Telephone Numbers
            Telephone: 519 376-2250
            Fax: 519 376-7190
          Contact Departments
            General[/list][/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
            « Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
            Scott's e-mail is:

[email protected]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            Dale Stohn
            « Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »
            From another thread:
            Quote from: "itsastart"
            The owners, Dale Stohn and Bob Shaw seem to stay in the background. Dale is a nasty piece of work and shows nothing but disdain for the girls, except the few she makes her favourites. She is supposed to be a psychotherapist, but from what school who knows. She runs a breast thermography clinic on the side now. They fees range up to 60,ooo$ a yr-they vary according to the yer or inmate. But the fees they charge on top-every time you call home they bill your parents claiming a therapist must monitor the call.
            What's the deal with Dale Stohn claiming to be a psychotherapist? What exactly is her training?