Author Topic: Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care  (Read 42189 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
You sound like one of those bratty kids with entitlement issues. Get some real therapy and get over it.

Look lady, I'm sorry your son is dead but FUCK YOU!  You have no idea what it's like to be trapped in one of those hellholes.  Get over it?  How well is your son getting over it?  You're almost as bad as the parents of a kid who committed suicide after getting out and they wanted people to donate TO THE FUCKING SCHOOL THAT KILLED HIM.  Ya know, because they really meant well.  They were trying to save his life.
:roll:  :flame:

I know something about that. I was abused as a child. I had a major chip on my shoulder as a result.  I got over it. I moved on. I had children.

Yeah, look how well that turned out.   Asperger's kids or kids who have social issue are the LAST kids who should be shipped off like that.  The damage is deep and lasting even with a kid that doesn't start off with those issues, I can't imagine what it must have been like for him.
  ::noway::

Last year I watched my husband have a massive heart attack and die in front of my children, get recussitated, and suffer non-reversible dementia as a result.  Eventually I had to take him off life support. It was ugly, and I could spend the rest of my life wallowing in a pity party for myself. I choose not to.

No comparison.  This isn't about pity.  We're not sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves.  We're trying to figure what the fuck they did to us and how the fuck to live our lives with the effects of it.  We were mindfucked.  It's not like we can just grieve and move on.  Our entire core, the very essence of our being has been changed, and not for the better.

Oh, and yes, just so you know, I did visit my son in Utah twice during the 4 months he was there.

Well bully for you.  Gee.  Two whole times in four months.  Wow.  I'm overwhelmed by your compassion for him.
:roll:

We played chess, miniature golf, went to the planetarium, saw Spiderman, went to a ropes course, went rollerblading in the park, played board games in my motel, and went out for steaks. He was free to leave the program anytime he wanted to follow my rules at home. He declined. He thought that having to go to school every day, doing homework before video games, not abusing me and my daughter, and not fighting were a violation of his human rights. Sounds a little like you.

Fuck you!!  You didn't deserve the son you had.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
Forgiving me for asking the question if already addressed but was this program being paid for by the state in which the boy resided?

If so, may I suggest to the mother that she inform the school district of the circumstances surrounding her child's death so that they do NOT fund the same kind of shoddy care and treatment for another parent's child?

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
Re: Dear Guest
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »
]
I guarantee the 2 staff who let my son die will never work in this industry again

Sadly, there are no such guarantees in this industry.

Jared Eldridge, the County Attorney charged Cheryl Sudweeks with 5 counts of child abuse and 2 counts of hazing against four children in the Whitmore Academy criminal case.  Yet, he allowed Cheryl Sudweeks to cop-a-plea to 2 counts of attempted hazing!

In a statement in the Deseret Morning News in this article, "Plea deal for ex-school operator, She agrees not torun another re-hab facility in Juab,"
"These kids made some allegations of abuse and I completely believe them. That's why I filed the case. But the fact that I believe them is one thing, whether a jury is going to believe is a whole different question," Juab County Attorney Jared Eldridge said.

The woman Cathy Sutton hold directly responsible for the death of her beloved daughter, Michelle Sutton, continues to work in this industry, today.

Sadly, there are no guarantees that these two staff members will be stopped from working in the industry, either.
But, I sincerely hope this mother is correct!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
I assume the same hurtful person is making all of these posts

You assume wrong; one of the hurtful people is me, and I only made about half of those.

You know what, Anonymom? If you're serious about starting a campaign, do it! Don't let our hatred stop you, and I mean this genuinely. Do what you CAN to the scum who let your son die. Just don't become the next Sue Scheff while you're at it.

But going on Fornits and expecting any amount of sympathy whatsoever is not really a wise idea.

I am hearing a lot of "blaming" directed at a vulnerable child who because he is dead, can not speak for himself.

NAIL ON FUCKING HEAD.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Joyce Harris""
The woman Cathy Sutton hold directly responsible for the death of her beloved daughter, Michelle Sutton, continues to work in this industry, today.

Sadly, there are no guarantees that these two staff members will be stopped from working in the industry, either.
But, I sincerely hope this mother is correct!

Yep.  Psy and Deb are right.  Miller Newton continued to abuse kids for years and years after[/i] he'd been run out of who know how many states for abuse.  In fact, I spoke with a woman the other day who confirmed my suspicions about him still "treating" people.  Only now he does it under the guise of the priesthood.

They never quit.  Their egos won't let them.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2007, 07:36:42 PM »
Those of us who have been involved in this nightmare for nearly two decades now, KNOW all too well, that the industry will get away with what has just happened to another young person, so long as the controversy, window of loss and MONEY is placed before what is right , and the health and safety of children.

I "thought" that the horrible, tortorous death of Aaron Bacon would be the last, and that National Legislation would soon follow.  NOT SO!  What can I say, except to repeat myself.  For the most part this industry is NOT governed by caring and compassionate people who care about the health and safety of children.  Many have proven to be governed by a hitlarian mentality.  As I explained to the GAO.  We DID NOT know about the long talked about controversy in regard to this industry before Michelle enrolled in the Summit Quest Program.  We were 'sold' a positive, hands on learning experience (school credits included) that would result in her coming home to her family who loved her.  As I explained to the GAO, instead Michelle received a "do or die," death sentence, in the hands of inhumane, so-called survival experts.

Check out the May, 2007 issue of the National Geographic Magazine.  In there you will read about the July 16th, 2006 death of 16 year old Elisa.  She too entered a program voluntarily, but DID NOT make it home.  My husband brought this article home to me from work.  Someone knowing our fight for what is right placed the article on his desk.  This article also mentions the 29 year old man who died the following day in yet another voluntary program.  Read what DHS Licensor LJ Dustman has to say about the deaths of these two young people.  Speaking of voluntary, Mitch Kurman's son died during a Boy Scout Expedition.  This too was voluntary.  It doesn't matter if the program, camp or behavior modification school is voluntary or not.  The only difference between the entities is HOW the person came to be in the program, camp or school and where the MONEY comes from.  Same goes for the Court Adjudicated entity.  The same flaws exist in all them.  The problem is with the "level of expectation" (little if any accoutability of those whom we entrust the lives of our children) and the "quality of care" (ex-felon worked with program my child died in).

The program told us Michelle dropped dead without warning, was given a blessing and wanted to go.  Michelle's journal tells a whole different story.  

I wouldn't believe what the program is saying.  I wouldn't believe what DHS is saying.  The program told us they were going to plant a tree where Michelle collapsed and died.  I believe that if we put ALL the parents who's child died in ONE room together.......WOW!  I believe the stories would be similar.  The "Risk Management" maneuvers exibited by this industry is all too familiar to me.  Find someone to blame, take a low profile, wait until things die down, then business as usual.

It's the same animal, but with different spots................

I hope, and still have it in me to pray, because I know that God is watching, that the GAO will offer a report that will expose the TRUTH behind what is happening to children in this industry.  I also hope that this will in turn lead to some long overdue changes.  The industry doesn't want to be told what to do.  But, like the so-called "troubled teens" they are claiming to help with their programs, camps and behavior modification schools, their industry is troubled and in need of intervention.

My deepest sympathy and regards to the family of the most recent victim.

Michelle Sutton Memorial Fund, Inc.
Catherine Sutton

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2007, 09:10:01 PM »
I wouldn't believe what the program is saying. I wouldn't believe what DHS is saying. The program told us they were going to plant a tree where Michelle collapsed and died. I believe that if we put ALL the parents who's child died in ONE room together.......WOW! I believe the stories would be similar. The "Risk Management" maneuvers exibited by this industry is all too familiar to me. Find someone to blame, take a low profile, wait until things die down, then business as usual.

Yes.. yes.. and tragically yes...

[/b]

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »
Good post folks, Cathy... You kick ass.

Mrs.Mom I don't think you know as much about this industry as you think. Read some of the survivor statements and threads on other programs. Also checkout Psy's Benchmark site for the low down on the mind fuckery that goes on. This problem is very complex,

"You don't know the power of the Dark side" - James Earl
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2007, 11:16:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Joyce Harris""
In a statement in the Deseret Morning News in this article, "Plea deal for ex-school operator, She agrees not torun another re-hab facility in Juab,"

That's right folks.  Not "anywhere in the country" or "get the fuck out of Utah".  Just "not in my backyard".
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline *

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
Please tread cautiously with the mom who's son just died.  This is a whole lot of information to understand and absorb.  Dealing with loss, the process of grief in addition to understanding the depth of this industry must be overwhelming.  It will come-- give it time.  It is all very personal to her right now.
eople, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.  As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. -Audrey Hepburn

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2007, 11:58:54 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
I guarantee the 2 staff who let my son die will never work in this industry again

Really?  Ask Cathy Sutton about Gayle Palmer.  Ask Joyce about the Sudweeks or Bernie Farrow.  Shit...  Point out one industry member that has gotten anything more than a slap on the wrist.  I hate to say it, but the only way to guarantee industry members work again isn't quite legal.

You sound like one of those bratty kids with entitlement issues. Get some real therapy and get over it. I know something about that. I was abused as a child. I had a major chip on my shoulder as a result.  I got over it.

What was said to you wasn't right ,but that statement won't make you very popular on fornits.  In the program I was in everybody supposedly had "entitlement issues".  You probably didn't mean it, but that statement is likely to offend a lot of people here.

I don't have any patience for entitlement and the way our culture promotes it. All teenagers have entitlement issues, it's part of being a teenager. And I really don't care about being popular on this site. I was not popular with my kids when I refused to buy into their entitlement issues when I didn't buy them every new game system or designer shoe that came out, but I stuck to my guns anyway.  All I want is accountabliity for my son's death and others before him, and to hopefully prevent another one. If the caretakers who let him die are not prosecuted and prevented from working in the industry again, I will take out a full page ad in the Salt Lake Tribune and hound them until the day I die, along with every legislator who will listen to me.  But the bigger question I have is why doesn't the American public care about these deaths? Every other human rights violation gets everyone in a tizzy. Stop slamming the parents for their kids' behavior and deaths and get this BS totally out in the open.

Mom

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2007, 12:15:10 AM »
buy into their entitlement issues

You're still parroting that shit, even now?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
With all due respect to the parent of this child - sending your child away as the answer to conflict in the home, school or community was your first mistake.  The second was sending him to a state like Utah where children are treated like chattel.

Please do not underestimate the courage, dedication and strength of Fornits and it's community of advocates, survivors, parents, and others who want nothing more than to prevent another child from being killed in the name of treatment.

Individually and collectively, Forits members are the first line of defense against an industry that preys on children and desperate, overly trusting parents.

Criticism may be harsh but it pales in comparison to the struggle, humiliation and betrayal children who are sent to these programs must endure on a daily basis just to survive.

You have my deepest sympathy, and I hope the persons responsible for your son's death will be held accountable to the full extent the laws in Utah allow.

Welcome to Fornits, glad to have you!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:54 AM »
Did anyone see the story on the news last night about the pet owner who may spend a year in jail for allegedly abusive treatment of the animals in his posession and care?

The pets were removed from this mans store after it was reported that the animals were alledgedly being mistreated by this pet owner and employees.  The air conditioning was not working properly and the pets in the window were sitting in tripple digit temperature.

My husband and I just looked at each other..................

Interesting how pets have more rights than 'children.'

Did anyone hear about the mining incident in Utah?  Interesting comments that we can relate to were stated by Mr. Murray.  

Ever heard the term COMPLIANCE?  That's what we hear a lot from DHS in regard to this industry.  A 'child' dies in this industry and the program owners/employees receive a little slap on the wrist, while DHS may be forced (after law officials put the truth out there for them to see) to shut the program down OR give them a provisional license.  A provisional license while they come into compliance.  My daughter died in the hands of so-called experts who were allowed to operate on a provisional license.  The program owners have more rights than the 'children' in their so-called care.  

THOUGHT OF THE DAY................

Compliance is like a person speeding OR drunk driver being told to slow down OR drink less when pulled over by the Highway Patrol.  

Until this industry is required to pay a hefty fine OR spend time in jail for what is happening to 'children' while in their so-called care, things will not change for the better.

Michelle Sutton Memorial Fund, Inc.
Catherine Sutton

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2007, 02:06:55 AM »
Quote from: ""psy""

Really?  Ask Cathy Sutton about Gayle Palmer.  Ask Joyce about the Sudweeks or Bernie Farrow.  Shit...  Point out one industry member that has gotten anything more than a slap on the wrist.  I hate to say it, but the only way to guarantee industry members work again isn't quite legal.

You sound like one of those bratty kids with entitlement issues. Get some real therapy and get over it. I know something about that. I was abused as a child. I had a major chip on my shoulder as a result.  I got over it.

What was said to you wasn't right ,but that statement won't make you very popular on fornits.  In the program I was in everybody supposedly had "entitlement issues".  You probably didn't mean it, but that statement is likely to offend a lot of people here.

I don't have any patience for entitlement and the way our culture promotes it. All teenagers have entitlement issues, it's part of being a teenager. And I really don't care about being popular on this site. I was not popular with my kids when I refused to buy into their entitlement issues when I didn't buy them every new game system or designer shoe that came out, but I stuck to my guns anyway.  All I want is accountabliity for my son's death and others before him, and to hopefully prevent another one. If the caretakers who let him die are not prosecuted and prevented from working in the industry again, I will take out a full page ad in the Salt Lake Tribune and hound them until the day I die, along with every legislator who will listen to me.  But the bigger question I have is why doesn't the American public care about these deaths? Every other human rights violation gets everyone in a tizzy. Stop slamming the parents for their kids' behavior and deaths and get this BS totally out in the open.

Mom

Good luck with this and I hope you are successful.