Author Topic: a different perspective  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
a different perspective
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:31:55 AM »
This is maybe a very different perspective than most of the posts here - although I haven't come close to reading them all.

I to was at "The Farm" 72-73 ish; I was a "workers" kid. My dad had just died and mom packed us up and moved us to C.C., Tx.  I guess she was the equivalent of one of his lieutenants; I know she flew around with him alot and she also taught at the school -typing and accounting stuff - (everything but raising her own sons).

You know at the time I didn't know any better because my mom kept us so "sheltered" from the world and it was a place to be feared, the devil was under every rock, etc.....   Well let me tell you I am pissed about it - for alot of reasons (like alot of cool stuff that was going on in the world that I missed - yeah there was bad also, but that's life) mainly I'm pissed for the fear that was instilled into me as a small child that has remained till this day.

Anyway, I remember so much about that time - we lived in a trailer across the street from the Camerons, I played with Sabrina, Granny and Poppa Weatherfords (adopted I believe) daughter, Church and more church all the time, had puppy love for a few of you girls, the cows and goats milk, hearing talk about the "welfare" closing us down. I do hear from my mom occassionaly about the status of things and have seen "aunt nener" and Della a few times, but I have never really gotten a chance to speak to any of you "inmates" :) and commiserate.

As a interesting aside, my greatest fear was realized a couple of years after leaving the farm. I got sent to the Christian Corral Ranch for boys in '75 for 2 1/2 years. Gotta  love it.

I was always sympathetic towards the girls and thought that had to be the worst thing - to be cut off from your parents anf family.

I could go on and on here but it would read like War & Peace, so
if you feel like contacting me please feel free.
Robin Howell
[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GentleStormi

• View Profile
    • http://roloffsurvivorssupport.bravehost.com/
Re: a different perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Quote from: ""robinw65""
This is maybe a very different perspective than most of the posts here - although I haven't come close to reading them all.

I to was at "The Farm" 72-73 ish; I was a "workers" kid. My dad had just died and mom packed us up and moved us to C.C., Tx.  I guess she was the equivalent of one of his lieutenants; I know she flew around with him alot and she also taught at the school -typing and accounting stuff - (everything but raising her own sons).

You know at the time I didn't know any better because my mom kept us so "sheltered" from the world and it was a place to be feared, the devil was under every rock, etc.....   Well let me tell you I am pissed about it - for alot of reasons (like alot of cool stuff that was going on in the world that I missed - yeah there was bad also, but that's life) mainly I'm pissed for the fear that was instilled into me as a small child that has remained till this day.

Anyway, I remember so much about that time - we lived in a trailer across the street from the Camerons, I played with Sabrina, Granny and Poppa Weatherfords (adopted I believe) daughter, Church and more church all the time, had puppy love for a few of you girls, the cows and goats milk, hearing talk about the "welfare" closing us down. I do hear from my mom occassionaly about the status of things and have seen "aunt nener" and Della a few times, but I have never really gotten a chance to speak to any of you "inmates" :) and commiserate.

As a interesting aside, my greatest fear was realized a couple of years after leaving the farm. I got sent to the Christian Corral Ranch for boys in '75 for 2 1/2 years. Gotta  love it.

I was always sympathetic towards the girls and thought that had to be the worst thing - to be cut off from your parents anf family.

I could go on and on here but it would read like War & Peace, so
if you feel like contacting me please feel free.
Robin Howell
http://www.rootsweb.com/~txnavarr/biogr ... er_leo.htm
a lot of survivors also find it hard to decipher the actual years there. its been a long time and its hard to always pinpoint the year correctly.

RobinHowell said:
You know at the time I didn't know any better because my mom kept us so "sheltered" from the world and it was a place to be feared,

From Gentlestormi:
i believe you, i know you are right about that. as kids we none of us, "knew any better" because kids are hardwired to trust in what their caregivers tell them. Sadly so many from the fundamentalists camps ever teach their kids to think critically and see things from other angles and perspectives. It sounds like though Robin, you have managed to find a way to think freely for yourself, i am glad you have.

RobinHowell Said:
As a interesting aside, my greatest fear was realized a couple of years after leaving the farm. I got sent to the Christian Corral Ranch for boys in '75 for 2 1/2 years. Gotta love it.

From Gentlestormi:
so, you had moved off from the Roloff Evangelistic Enterprises farm in Corpus Christi for two years, before being sent to Christian Corral Ranch for boys in 1975?
but you lived on the farm in 72-73"ish"? but then remember living across from the Camerons...are you talking about Wiley Cameron Senior or Wiley Cameron Junior? bit confusing, sorry. Were there other Camerons who lived on the Farm?

I have always understood that the Camerons came to Roloffs in 74 and moved into the dorms to be the dorm parents. That they were dorm parents in 74, also based on the stories of some who were there in the dorm in 74 .

was the Christian Corral Ranch for Boys a Roloff home or a Roloff type home? i do not think i have ever heard of it, if you can, can you share where it was and what it was about? was it like a roloff home?

thanks
Gentlestormi
Roloff Rebekah Survivor to Overcomer
77-78
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »