Author Topic: .wolf watching the hen house?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
.wolf watching the hen house?
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »
hs.utah.gov
May 29, 2002 Carol Sisco (801) 538-3991
Ken Stettler (801) 538-4235
Ken Stettler Named Licensing Director
Ken Stettler has been named director of the Office of Licensing in the Department of Human
Services. A 25-year DHS employee, Stettler formerly worked in the Division of YouthCorrections.“I want to make the focus of the office more customer friendly, both for the public and the
providers we license,” Stettler said.
Stettler has been involved in licensing issues for many years, first in Youth Corrections and later
when the Office of Licensing was created.
“My primary interest in licensing came from the years I spent there where I realized the
importance the office has in protecting all Human Services clients,” Stettler said. “A lot of
children come to Utah for treatment from other states and sometimes our office is the only
agency regulating those providers.”
Stettler worked on the initial licensing of youth wilderness programs in Utah and was responsible
for licensing all youth programs statewide from 1990 until 1995.
Stettler has a master’s degree in management and youth leadership and a bachelor’s degree in
therapeutic recreation,
both from Brigham Young University.
He replaces Reta Oram who retired in April.
###
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »
The same Stettler that blew Whitmore out of the water?
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: .wolf watching the hen house?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:03:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Bunny""
hs.utah.gov
May 29, 2002 Carol Sisco (801) 538-3991
Ken Stettler (801) 538-4235
Ken Stettler Named Licensing Director
Ken Stettler has been named director of the Office of Licensing in the Department of Human
Services. A 25-year DHS employee, Stettler formerly worked in the Division of YouthCorrections.“I want to make the focus of the office more customer friendly, both for the public and the
providers we license,” Stettler said.
Stettler has been involved in licensing issues for many years, first in Youth Corrections and later
when the Office of Licensing was created.
“My primary interest in licensing came from the years I spent there where I realized the
importance the office has in protecting all Human Services clients,” Stettler said. “A lot of
children come to Utah for treatment from other states and sometimes our office is the only
agency regulating those providers.”
Stettler worked on the initial licensing of youth wilderness programs in Utah and was responsible
for licensing all youth programs statewide from 1990 until 1995.
Stettler has a master’s degree in management and youth leadership and a bachelor’s degree in
therapeutic recreation,
both from Brigham Young University.
He replaces Reta Oram who retired in April.
###

OK Bunny, I guess I don't get it. I know Stettler and he's a pompous ass, to put it mildly, and he's also appallingly inept, considering the track record of Utah in general, but I have to wonder who you think should do this sort of thing? It seems to me he's a failure at protecting kids in spite of his education, not because of it. He's just another brick, trying to make his way up the wall. A wolf? Nahhh . . .

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:43:06 PM »
State law requires wilderness programs to obtain a license prior to starting operations. That provision would prevent the Wardles from starting another program in Utah under a new name, Stettler said. But there is nothing to prevent them from starting a program in another state.

C:Documents and SettingstestMy DocumentsSkyline Journey Loses License.mht
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victim's mom decries teen program's return
Utah teen-help industry: She wants the owners, whose first license was revoked, to be banned from the business
By Kirsten Stewart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

It was "small vindication." But Susan Pinson, the birth mother of a teen who died of heat exhaustion while hiking in a Utah wilderness therapy program, said she was relieved when the state ordered the program closed in October 2003.
Pinson said licensers promised Skyline Journey owners Lee and Mark Wardle "would never run a place like that again, not in Utah." State officials made the same statement in news reports.
But there is nothing in state law to support a lifetime ban. Sixteen months after Skyline Journey lost its license, the father-and-son team has started another wilderness camp in Nephi, called Distant Drums Beginnings. The camp has operated lawfully since the state licensed it on Feb. 22, 2005.
Pinson reacted to the news on Wednesday from her home in Drumright, Okla., with disbelief, then anger. She wants Utah lawmakers to consider legislation to fix what she calls "a miscarriage of justice."
Mark Wardle argues the law is fair and that he has a right to continue pursuing a 16-year career in the teen-help industry.
Caught in the middle are state licensing officials who stand by their decision, but regret there is nothing they can do to mollify Pinson.
"The law is the law; we can't prevent them from operating forever," said Ken Stettler, director of the Human Services Office of Licensing.
Once a license is revoked, the state may not replace it unless: one year has passed, the applicant submits to regular inspections and provides "satisfactory evidence" that wrongs were righted, and the new operation proves safe. The law is phrased to give licensors some discretion.
But Stettler said a denial based solely on the Wardles having run a previous program where a fatality occurred probably wouldn't hold up in court. He said licensors thoroughly investigated Distant Drums, which in a year of operating has had no complaints.
The Wardles  
C:Documents and SettingstestMy DocumentsSkyline Journey Loses License.mht

In answer I must agree with the guest poster in every way, my point on the wolf in the hen house, is that in my opinion, he was in corrections for 25 years dealing with kids, and obtained a degree in wilderness therepy,  he is a good ol boy with the "Providers", he was the one involved in getting the laws made for the programs, and is involved in other states, he works with program "provider" owners on these laws.  
On one hand he says there is no law, but isn't he helping with the laws?   He says he can't do anything unfortunely till something happens, then a kid dies, and they then can do their job.
Ok then they can shut them down, they are out of business 1 year can open in another state, consider the two links found on fornits, with 2 different statements.
Hey, I am not as smart as all of you and you will have to bear with me.  I wish I could express, with news items ect.
But Yeah, I am disgusted with this business, I believe these things happened to kids, and I had hoped it had stopped, it has not.
Bunny :oops:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:52:10 AM »
I do not feel that Ken Stettler is FOR the rights of these children.

I believe Ken Stettler is FOR the providers.  I have seen this first hand with the death of my daughter Michelle.   Ken Stettler said, "It's too bad this happened to Gayle.  She did everything right."  

I later saw this same attitude and loyalty towards other providers Ken Stettler licensed.  With North Star, when Aaron Bacon died I called Ken Stettler.  His response to my inquiry into the death of this young man was, "He was a faker, a whiner and a pot smoker."

The same attitude was in place with the death of Katie Lank and Ian August......................................

I believe this licensing official has to hold on to his loyalty towards the providers he issues a license, OR, face the fact that he is partly culpable for the deaths of "at least" four children!  

I also believe that if we followed "MONEY TRAIL" supporting this lucrative industry, along with showing how some have climbed the CORPORATE LADDER, by allowing this industry to continue their evil, corrupt, unethical practices, we would uncover more of the TRUTH that lies beneath the surface.

I was influential in helping this to come about with the court adjudicated Vision Quest Program.  What prompted a certain reporter to finally help me with exposing the "MONEY TRAIL" of this program was when he learned that the Superintendant of Schools for San Juaquin County drove a nicer car than he did.

I say.................
Whatever it takes to get the ugly truth exposed!

Have a good night everyone.

Michelle Sutton Memorial Fund, Inc.
Catherine Sutton

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:00:32 AM »
Quote from: ""campsafety""
What prompted a certain reporter to finally help me with exposing the "MONEY TRAIL" of this program was when he learned that the Superintendant of Schools for San Juaquin County drove a nicer car than he did.

Catherine Sutton

Probably not so simple.  Many people are outraged, but feel powerless... and then comes along that little straw that breaks the camel's back.  And then they don't care how powerless they are, they just act from the heart.  Maybe that issue of the nicer car was that little straw, maybe they just said/acted like it was because it happened right around the same time and it was easier to explain it that way.  I wouldn't know.  You would know, Cathy.  

I'm just one of those powerless people.  But it is a most prescient take-home lesson:  chip, chip, keep chipping away... eventually the cards will fall.  "Whatever it takes to get the ugly truth exposed!"  

You have a good night too, Cathy.
-Urs
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »
Given that the Michelle Sutton and Aaron Bacon Tragedies happened so long ago how long has this guy been doing his job for? isnt it unusual for any public official to hold a job for this long? or is this pretty standard in the US?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:18:26 AM »
He is absolutely about protecting programs. If he'd had his way, Skyline Journey's license would never have been revoked. He sent a representative who knew Wardle to conduct the investigation, they attended the same LDS ward. They did everything in their power to defend SJ.
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=56001#56001

No violations were cited. It was only after the DA filed charges that his office managed to, begrudgingly I'm sure, cite four violations of the 20 some I counted.
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=19351#19351

Skyline Journey was responsible for Ian's death. They got a slap on the hand and then it was back to business as usual. Charges were dropped against the EMT who hiked him without water in temperatures that exceeded the maximum and ignored her medical training and left him sitting in the sun for over an hour (among other stupid things), in exchange for her testimony against SJ.  ::roflmao::  Her testimony was a defense of herself and SJ. In the beginning I thought the DA was on the right side, but after that fiasco I wondered if he wasn't part of the scam too, a total miscarriage of justice.

Same with Aaron Bacon. Stettler excused violations of regulations at that program and "trusted his fellow mormon saints" to clean up the violations.  :rofl:
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=17832#17832
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=49496#49496

There is much about Stettler in the archives here, just search his name. Utah is all about Wilderness. It's big business. Wilderness is advertised on the DHS website.
http://hs.utah.gov/pdf/HT2002-3.pdf
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 09:34:51 PM »
12/2002 The DHS posts an advertisement/endorsment for wilderness programs on their website.

"FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL" AND...........
WATCH THE MONKEY CLIMB THE CORPORATE LADDER

There isn't a law in Utah against being an enabler, but I believe that's exactly what DHS is all about.  Them and their licensing "officials."

I believe DHS should be included in the GAO investigation that is taking place.  I believe the DHS is "highly" accountable for the pain and suffering of children in the so-called teen help industry.  

I believe Dysfunctional is too nice a word for what the State of Utah has allowed to happen to children all these years.  

Catherine Sutton