Author Topic: Scheff  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Scheff
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:31:16 AM »

Saturday, June 9, 2007
How Free is Freedom of Speech?

Our First Amendment Right has not changed and neither has the law on defamation, slander and invasion of privacy.

Although Carey Bock Levine didn't show up to trial back in September 2006, she was legally represented for 2 years by a prominent Law Firm in Broward County. When they withdrew from the case, the judge kindly postponed the trial to give her ample time to find a new lawyer.

Instead of using that time to locate new representation or even call the courthouse in Broward County to explain her situation, she flew to Las Vegas and got married and had 3 day honeymoon on June 12, 2006. Please note this is her 3rd or 4th marriage, so maybe it is a common occurrence for her.

Although she has lamely attempted to claim she was a Katrina Victim (read previous Blogs), she did attend her own deposition with her lawyer in December 2005 just 4 months after Katrina. This so-called Katrina Victim didn't seem to have any handicaps at that time, so it is curious why 6 months later she is not able to find another lawyer?

Mrs. Carey Bock Levine claims she was depressed. In reality, so are many people that suffer with depression, but that doesn't excuse you from your legal obligations or day to day responsibilities. Her sons went to Iraq? Well, thousands of families have their sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, mothers, etc also in Iraq - does that allow you to ignore your responsibilities?

How free is freedom of speech - it is free, but remember it doesn't support defamation nor does it condone invasion of privacy. Like in many areas of life, there are limits, laws and penalties.

$5M in punitive damages is to punish - the jury went through hundreds of pages of all the ugly, slanderous and unlawful posts Bock had written prior reaching this verdict.

The jury noted - they wanted to send a message - they did, loud and clear.

Did I want to prove a point - yes I did - and I believe I succeeded. I refused to sit by and watch this woman destroy my organization and my family. As a mother, I did what I had to do to protect my kids.

Posted by Sue Scheff at 5:54 AM

Wow, she is up quite early blogging away.  I guess since she hasn't actually won the case, she can't give up the fight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »