Author Topic: Asian Sign Language  (Read 3001 times)

Offline NongShim

• View Profile
Asian Sign Language
« on: May 16, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »
In countries like China/Korea/Japan,do the deaf use exactly the same Sign Languang as Americans?
Is it truly "International Sign Language"?
I know of one kind where the alphabet (A,B,C,D,E...) is signed with the hand,but Im interested about the other type of sign language where both hands and arms are used to form words and sentences.

How long does it take the average American to learn sign language well enough to get a job teaching Sign Language in China/Korea/Japan?

Do you think this is a good paying job for an American in China/Korea/Japan?

In my travels,I have often seen groups of deaf Chinese/Korean/Japanese people using Sign Language in public,but Im not sure if is the same Sign Language used in America.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Asian Sign Language
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
No bloody clue. Sorry.

I do know that you need a uni degree to be any sort of teacher in Korea. Japan is the same. Old China doesn't give a shit as long as you have pale skin and don't look Indonesian.
am the metal pig.

Offline NongShim

• View Profile
Asian Sign Language
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:54:50 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
No bloody clue. Sorry.

I do know that you need a uni degree to be any sort of teacher in Korea. Japan is the same. Old China doesn't give a shit as long as you have pale skin and don't look Indonesian.

Well,while your there,if you find any info,or meet any people who know about the subject,please post the info here.

Ive been looking for something to do in Asia,and I have a couple of Asian friends that I have encouraged to look in to this as a possible job opportunity.

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Asian Sign Language
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:13:30 AM »
Chinese Sign Language (CSL) is very different from ASL (American Sign Language). There is no "International Sign Language". CSL incorporates much of the same "pictoral" representation as written Chinese much as ASL incorporates letters. If you do not already understand/communicate in either Chinese or sign, you will not have a particularly easy time learning sign.

Signing is an amazing way to communicate though. I used to attend a school that had a Deaf Sign program and I learned a lot. My partner and I now use sign with our daughter and each other - we communicate in English and French as well - but sign offers so much more.... It's just a radically different way to think about language. Not to mention, it rocks to have a secret language in many situations.

Rachael
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20