Author Topic: Teen Challenge and the faith based initiative.  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Firebird81

• View Profile
Teen Challenge and the faith based initiative.
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
Here is the history of Teen Challenge and Bush's faith based initiative. It is an interview with the very man who advised Bush about this when he was governor of Texas. Also notice that, despite claims by some of the anti-tc ranters, Teen Challenge does not qualify for funding under the Faith based initiative.

http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.org/ ... de=general
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Michael Kincheloe

• View Profile
    • http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
"whereas the Teen Challenge people said it is a spiritual illness."

Even if an alcoholic stops drinking for 25 years, then starts again, he'll be at the tolerance level he would have been at if he had been drinking for those 25 years, because the disease progresses even when you quit drinking. Nothing spiritual about that.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:22:37 PM »
They may not have received funding but they sure as hell jumped on the "alternative licensing" i.e. no licensing whatsoever for "faith-based" rehabs, repealed in 01 due to a flurry of abuse allegations spawned by the Roloff homes and stretched to one case(I know of) of molestation at Dallas TC
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Michael Kincheloe

• View Profile
    • http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:35:46 PM »
Here it is:

In 1998, a boy filed suit against Dallas Teen Challenge Boys Ranch and Assemblies of God, alleging that a counselor, who was a convicted drug trafficker, sexually molested him and two other boys. The lawsuit also claimed that the ranch’s Executive Director, the church and the ranch’s board knowingly hired people with criminal histories to serve as counselors. (Austin American-Statesman, 5/13/1998)

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:06 PM »
Certainly anything coming out of the Bush Administration needs to be inspected with great care. Hopefully future legislation will reverse this foolhardy trend and require the appropriate inspections, licensing, and oversight that sadly appears to be so lacking in the TC shitpit group.
am the metal pig.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »
It was reversed in 01 due to the many complaints of abuse. I'm not sure what he's done as president but Florida has a similar set up.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Karly

• View Profile
    • http://karlycordaloni.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:59:24 PM »
FYI:

http://http://www.schaler.net/inthenews/washblade.html

"Texas Freedom Network, a 23,000-member non-partisan grassroots watchdog group based in Austin conducted a five-year study of the policy and found, “As exempt faith-based drug treatment centers, [such] facilities are not required to have licensed chemical dependency counselors, conduct staff training or criminal background checks, protect client confidentiality rights, adhere to state health and safety standards, or report abuse, neglect, emergencies and medication errors.”

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:56:23 AM »

Howto]

Offline Karly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »
The 28-page report that hanzomon4 referred us to is entitled- "The Texas Faith-Based Initiative at Five Years: Warning Signs as President Bush Expands Texas-style Program at National Level"

Here is an excerpt from page 10-  

“Model” Faith-Based Treatment Center?

Teen Challenge Health & Safety Violations
(1995 state inspection immediately prior to deregulation under the Texas Faith-Based Initiative)

°  “No qualified credential counselors on staff.”

°  “No chemical dependency services are being provided.”

°  “No staff has current CPR and First-Aid training.  No policies on psychiatric or medical emergencies were found.”

°  “No documentation…[of the required] initial training for staff” on “client rights; client grievance procedures; confidentiality of client-identifying information; client neglect and exploitation; requirements for reporting neglect and other serious incidents; standards of conduct; emergency…procedures; and the individual’s specific job duties.”  

°  “The present handling of medications at this facility are badly out of compliance.  No one we spoke to understood or delivered service according to the policy…standards.”

°  “Smoke detection alarm system inoperable.”

°  “Exposed wires and electrical outlets…missing bulbs, dangling light fixtures, and holes in ceilings near light fixtures.”

°  Violated requirement to “provide a safe, secure, and well-maintained environment.”

°  Violated food preparation requirements creating “a potential health hazard.”

°  Violated requirement to disclose client Bill of Rights and client grievance procedures.

°  Violated required admission criteria, intake consent procedures, treatment plans, discharge procedures and discharge follow-up.

°  Violated requirement that “the facility shall not exploit clients by using client labor inappropriately.”

°  Violated incident reporting requirements.

°  Violated requirement to: “protect the health, safety, rights, and welfare or clients; provide adequate services…; comply with all applicable laws, regulation, policies, and procedures; maintain required licenses, permits, and credentials; and comply with professional and ethical codes of conduct.”

Note how George Bush makes this quote during that same year:

“Teen Challenge should view itself as pioneer in how Texas approaches faith-based programs.” -George W. Bush, July 1995

Another excerpt from that report-

"Without state inspections or high publicity cases like the Boys Ranch incident to shed light on Teen Challenge practices, it is impossible to know how many other health code infractions and dangerous policies are being implemented at these facilities."

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:58:43 PM »
Hi all.

Just found this discussion board and decided to join.
Never attended Teen Challenge, but there was serious consideration given to TC to come to my home town. However, that "idea" never panned out here and they found home elsewhere.
I stumbled on this forum via links from Rick Ross' web site www.rickross.com
This is the thing, Ross lists Teen Challenge as cult, but he wouldn't even allow discussion about AA, NA 12steps etc. on his site. Steve Hassan on the other hand allows discussions of AA on his site(although he doesn't think AA fits the BITE model), but nowhere on www.freedomofmind.com (hassans page) is there mention of Teen Challenge.
Also if I am allowed I will give you some secular support groups that I believe are needed. www.smartrecovery.org, sossobriety.org, www.womenforsobriety.org, www.unhooked.org, www.rationalrecovery.org

Many of you will find much interesting information about cults on the Orange Papers. www.orange-papers.org, he is a very disgruntled individual concerning AA, and most of his frustrations are about AA in general but has a lot of good stuff there. Also check out www.morerevealed.com

Take care
 :o

Offline Karly

• View Profile

Offline Froderik

• View Profile