Author Topic: Stright Inc gets coverage in Second Life  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Stright Inc gets coverage in Second Life
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 03:28:54 AM »
This is a museum piece. It's art, after a form. It's a chance to drop in and chat it up w/ tourists who wander by. I suppose it will be part freak show. But we likes that sometimes, don't we chilins? Oh god, I wonder who stands to learn more about trolling; fornits users or SL users? I'm almost ready to get busy putting NT on my spare drive just so I can go look.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »
The building is due for basic completion today.
 I went through part of it and WOW.
The big group room is a memorial to all the suicides and acts as an educational tool to all of those that come through that have not heard of what happened. Many in SL are from all over the world. There are many large corporations in SL as well.
It is more an educational tour than anything I think. It gives a brief history and the players.
What I liked most was the replica of staff office where photos of the players were posted on a police line up wall. There crimes listed and their present day occupations as well as any websites they have so visitors can tell them what they think of their actions after first learning of what happened.
I think the memorial is done well, to remember all of those that did not survive.
As for the gathering place, I actually found it quite nice; there is a park just behind where survivors can go to actually get support from other survivors.
What I really liked is the ability of EVERY survivor to post their story as much or as little as they like. The more survivors that leave their story or memories there the more creditability I think it brings to it. They email it to the owner of the land and it’s posted on the wall or in a station. After a while, I can certainly see new people coming through having read not only the history but the personal stories and then coming upon staff office.
It may have enough impact for the general public to actually write or call the guilty parties and tell them what they think.
I think anything that helps educate the general public on what happened or anything that helps them to care about what happened is a great thing. I think it’s also a VERY nice tribute to those who didn’t survive.
It may not be for everyone, as I could see it might be difficult to walk through a replica of the building you were in but in another way having your story and pain left there with guilty parties clearly in view may even help some.
I for one am excited about seeing the finished product although they say it will always be a work in progress with new individual’s stories being added daily.
You can even walk on the ledge where someone’s short memory of SC trying to jump. It gives real impact to the visitor of the true horror of the place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »
Quote from: ""Antigen's Ghost""
Oh god, I wonder who stands to learn more about trolling; fornits users or SL users?

SL? Screen Life...that's what Niles seemed to mean by that and it made perfect sense in the context of his post.

SL users? Color me confused.

And why would you have to install Windows NT to view that site??

Jerk seems to think the site's a waste of time.. what's so great about it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 09:34:18 AM »
Nevermind the SL question.. i now see that this may have been an odd coincidence..

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
Second Live is a mud. You have to run the game software to play. You can't view the game site w/ just a web browser.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 09:44:42 AM »
So why NT? What about W2K? (That's what I use.) In any case, FUCK XP & VISTA.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 10:38:31 AM »
Oh, just cause I've already got the disk and I'm just that lazy.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
I don't think its a waste of time... I just think its preaching to the choir to do it in SL is all.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
Its a fee download. Its not really a game but a virtual world.
Its the internet on steroids. I have heard some of the large companies and articles in some of the prominate magazines state that it is the "new intenet". I don't know if this will be true or not. I do know that some disabled individuals are making some residual income in real US dollars which is wild.
It allow you to create your own avatar that is virtual. You can chat , build things visit replicas of many places.
I really liked it. Much more interactive than the web.
I know that it has its own stock exchange and currency and has been written up in many crediable magazines such as CNN, Money and many others.
One guy built a 3d car in there and was paid over a million by a major car company for the design. This I am sure is rare.
Many artist hold concerts in there as well such as U2.

It allows for real time chat, and voice chat is coming in about a month from what I read , so the internet will be truly interactive.
No more looking at text web pages and waiting hours for a response on a board or support question. I like the idea.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."