Author Topic: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon  (Read 309484 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »
Yes, when I was there we were all having periods...they were not regular, but that is normal for teenagers anyway. I don't recall anyone saying they were not having one. There was only one girl not getting her period, but it ended up she was pregnant and got sent home. It was her second time in the home. Now, keep in mind, when I was there the home had already been kicked out of Texas and we were in Missouri, I don't know if they had the same resources they had on the farm, as in the form of their "special home grown foods". They did send us some food from the farm but a church there in Kansas City was providing most of our meals for us. I do remember them telling us that these foods were just not as good as what they used to get on the farm. I do know that when the church brought the peanut butter it was not the same as the special peanut butter they made for us there.
Another thing we had a problem with there, we all had little red bumps all over our legs that we scratched like crazy. Some girls worse than others but almost all of us had it. Some girls legs were just big welps of red and bleeding... and we could not stop scratching. Mine were small red bumps around my ankles and calves, we thought it might be an alergic reaction to something, maybe the laundry detergent (the cheapest stuff) we all had to use. But a few girls were able to have their parents send in good detergent and a staff member would give it to them to use on their laundry day, and it made no difference. When I got out I went to the doctor and they could not figure out what it was.. but said their best guess was it was nerves. Said I just had to make the concious decision to stop scratching, try to stay low stress and it would go away. I worked at it, and stopped scratching and it did go away after a couple of weeks. But that is so unusual that we all had the same reaction.. I can't explain that.
I remember a worker there, Miss Maggie... she was a black woman, she only came to Missouri after the Palmers had taken over there and was only there a couple of months before I left, so I didn't get to know her very well, but from what I do remember I did not like her at all. She was mean and cold and played favorites. Her favorite girls got extra snacks and goodies or trips outside, and she made it very clear if she didn't like you.

Kim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »
That was her name.  She had already gone through the home by the time I got there, but came back from time to time to work.  It seem like she may have gone on tour with us one time.

Lori

Offline betty277

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »
who are the palmers sons?a man named mike palmer could have been one of them?its very important do you know what years it might have been??????anyone its so very important

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
All our progress is an unfolding, like a vegetable bud. You have first an instinct, then an opinion, then a knowledge as the plant has root, bud, and fruit. Trust the instinct to the end, though you can render no reason.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

i have been told by sources that Mike Palmer is son of Micheal Palmer Senior, and i have been informed that Micheal Palmer Sr. was best buddy with Lester Roloff....

also have been informed that Mike Palmer of Jay florida, is a professional photographer...

when i was in rebekah home, about 26 years ago, there was a black haired hippy on the roloff compound, but i remember he took my picture , and it was wierd, it seems to me we were at a SHIPPING DOCK or warehouse....
hum.....

lots of wierd things went round ...
 :idea:  

Truth is what stands the test of experience.
Albert Einstein

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »
hey found this and will post some in parts...i past in just sections to the article..not the entire article...cause of copywrite laws...

TALLAHASSEE DEMOCRAT

PRIVATE REFORM SCHOOL FLOURISHES IN FLORIDA
VICTORY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY MOVED TO THE MORE CONSERVATIVE
PANHANDLE AFTER CALIFORNIA TOLD IT TO GET A LICENSE OR CLOSE.

Sunday, February 23, 1997
Section: LOCAL
Page: 9B
Bill Kaczor THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Illustration: B&W photo

Caption: JERRY KOVACH/The Associated Press
Students work silently on their individualized lessons at Victory
Christian Academy in Jay. The private school moved to Florida after California
threatened to shut it down.
------------
 Victory
 Christian Academy.
The fundamentalist school for girls moved to Jay, an isolated farming town
 in the Panhandle, five years ago from Ramona, Calif., in a cloud of
 controversy over its methods and refusal to abide by state regulations.
 -----------------
 Its 76 beds are usually filled and the Rev. Mike
 Palmer,
 the school's director,
 ----------------
 Victory Christian is one of a growing number of, in effect, private reform
 schools, many with religious ties, being established across the nation.
 --------------
 Palmer, an Independent Baptist minister, closed the Ramona facility rather
 than submit to state regulation in 1991, ---------------------

Two years earlier, the former professional photographer had pleaded no
 contest to operating an unlicensed community care facility and was placed
 on
 probation. When he continued operating without a license, authorities
 raided
 his campus and returned to court in an effort to close him down.
----------

The California Department of Social Services accused Victory Christian of
 punishing girls through solitary confinement in a tiny ``get right'' room,
 mishandling prescription drugs and violating fire codes. Officials also
 questioned Palmer's practice of isolating new students from their parents.

---------------
 The agreement was
 for Palmer to get licensed or shut down. -------------
 ``We as Christians felt that we could not operate under the requirements
 of
 what Social Services wanted,'' Palmer said.
-----------

-------------

California Deputy Attorney General Beth Jacobs, who handled the 1991 case
 against Victory Christian, recently said if the school is operating in the
same manner ``it would be a very scary place.''
 Palmer said such views are based on erroneous perceptions from the past.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

later'
 :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
::bangin::   Write to the town councilmen or the person who is selling the property to Jimmie Clark and anybody and everybody you can think of to tell them about Wiley & Fay Cameron and what REALLY goes on behind the LOCKED doors of these 'Roloff' facilities.
AND
God, please, help those poor children, even if it means sending a bolt of lightning  - or even hundreds or thousands - to strike those who are hurting the children - They are YOUR CHILDREN, GOD - set them FREE - PLEASE. Amen. ::mecry::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2004, 11:45:00 PM »
Hi , I am a Rebekah survivor. Before going to Rebekah I had been abused badly, and sexually abused and tossed like a volleyball back and forth between family homes in my family system.
At the age of 14, (1977), after being tossed and ripped to pieces by my family war in my family. I tried to kill myself with slashing my wrists, my plea and silent scream for help. I did that in the high school bathroom. So, I know even tho I walked around  living in a major world of depression , I did it in the school bath , I feel cause I was crying out for help and that seemed the most likely place to get help it seemed.
They put me in the regular medical hospital, and tried to evaluate me. Nobody knew that I had been sexually abused by an adult family male member and noone knew the torment I was hiding deep inside, trying to find my way thru it all. I got totally lost. (in the 70?s nobody talked about such things),..While in the hospital I did certain things to gain adult attention which I needed desparately. But to the doctors, I suppose it was odd behaviour, but if I were that doctor, now that I am adult, I would say, ?There is something not right, and its as if she is screaming for help?

Well, after 3 and a half weeks in that hospital, my parents had talked Roloff into taking me in and on. My parents did not have a lot of money, but Roloff took me in.
I recall sitting across from Lester Roloff in his dark office in the front of the church.  I truly WANTED to go there, cause it seemed the only way out for me to be safe and not get tossed back and forth between homes. So I acted ?tough? and hard. I wanted him to see me in a way , so then he wouldn?t turn me out and away.

But, once I had gotten in, and as the year progressed, ?actually I had gone into my death camp, not a place to help me heal. It was not the safe haven I had hoped for. Not at all. My mother now tells me that she wishes with her whole heart that she had LISTENED to her gut reaction when she met the Camerons. But she instead ignored her gut reaction to them and just took their words on blind trust. She tells me to this day that she had been having gut instincts telling her something was not ?right? when she met Faye Cameron. But she ignored it and trusted them.

You see, Roloff and his mindset saw me as a girl who was rebellious and NEEDED to be TIED and needed to be mind controlled, and needed to be beat till my bottom was bleeding and blistered. But you see, he saw me all wrong, I was not a wicked jezebel, nor was I living on the streets, I was lost, you see?I had no clue how to be okay, I was hurting deep inside, and I acted out my pain in my immaturity. But they saw that as me being in need of reform and forced submission to God and them. They failed to see that I was sick and ill, with broken heart and ripped soul,  and in need of a caring environment, not a ?juvenile facility?.

During my year there, many things transpired. I do not have clear memory of it all, especially the first six months, tho I am sure I was there, there is a lot of areas of time that are unaccounted for.

After getting out , I just cried in the back seat of the car all the long drive from Corpus back to our hometown. Just wept I did, to be going home, that they had really come to get me, and had really come and I was really really going home.

You see, a child cannot be something she is not taught. I was raised in a lot of chaos and improper boundaries, and I was not given proper boundaries, many of the adults in my child home were busy in a war of their own with each other and being the youngest I was like a volleyball. My dad was highly unstable, and very very violent. And my mom was depressed and very much pushed under the wieght of a large family and a husband like my dad.

After leaving Rebekah and after my year of Roloff treatment, I came home, but my soul never came to the surface again, I never smiled, never. I would walk the streets of our little neighborhood with a ghost town look of nothingness. Merely catatonic and without any thing showing for anyone to pull me out with.

I would sit and be a zombie and catatonic. I had not really any ability to think for myself. I had no expression on my face anymore, I was ghost town. And never could connect to others around me and relate to them, nobody understood, ..you see, I was BROKEN all the way to my core of my soul?and I did not realize I was this way, it just was. But BEFORE Rebekah Home for Girls under the wieght of the Camerons, before that?.I was not that way..I was depressed  and was floundering, but I still could see the world around me and connect. Very much so?

I was in Rebekah home in 78. When I came home, I was never to be seen above the surface again. It appeared to any who looked at me that I had checked out and noone was there inside me anymore.

It was not till I turned 30, that I began to unthaw?I had brought two babies into my world, two beautiful babies?and the cry of LOVE was pulling me to them, I kept thinking deep inside ?down in the shattered pieces of my soul that lay like broken glass at the bottom of a well?I kept thinking, ?I cannot abandon them, emotionally I can not NOT be here for them??.cause I knew somehow I knew that I was not out there with them, I was miles under in the broken soul that lay in shatters in me.

So began the call to heal, it came to me thru my babies?I had to come out to the surface of life for THEM?
And so I began my journey to healing, and it has been hard work, it has been scary, it has been intense, it has been filled with fear, with pain, with joys, with turbulence, but it has been worth it too, cause the day I began to heal and come out?and SAW my children from that level, from the more up to date dimension?I cried, cause I realized how beautiful they were, and how far down deep inside I had hidden for o so long?

But during my years of healing work, I went thru some rough PTSD. And there in those years of PTSD, lay memory fragments of hells untold yet. Of things from the Roloff Girls Home that pointed and indicated far worse things than they ever wanted to come to light.

I had many things come to surface during that PTSD phase,  But I have not publicly spoke out. But today I am saying that there was more than meets the eyes there. Okay?

Today I am more healed than I ever thot possible, I am 41 now, and it has been a long duration between my 15th year and now. Long time to heal and become whole at what was done to me.
Roloff Enterprises and things done shattered my faith, like it was shipwrecked. I recall once during my early adult years, how I had watched the old film of days gone by called, ?The Sound of a Distant Thunder? I believe is the name of it, I watched it as a young married woman and a christian woman and a faithful churchgoer..I would watch it and I would sit there, and my legs would tremble badly, and I would say the sinners prayer over and over and over and over again, BUT I COULD NOT BELIEVE < I  HAD BEEN  RENDERED UNABLE TO BELIEVE AND GRASP GODS LOVE TO ME?
So I would go back to living my life of hermit in my house, and go to church three times a week, surely making Roloff a proud testimony of what he did for me, cause..gee?.I was ??DOING?? all the ?right? things?
BUT, I was a dead woman with broken shattered bones laying deep inside, hardly understanding normal reality around me, walking with unseeing eyes and never ever connecting to people around me. Having lost the connecting thead of TRUST when put into Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls.

Now at the age of 41, God has come thru for me. I one day in the midst of trying to heal, right around the age of 31ish, I went to the altar of my church and I was not able to trust God , nor believe that he had good safe intentions to ME, but I had a couple of pages of scriptural prayers, and I prayed them daily for two weeks straight to God my Maker. I felt as if I were going to the King in charge of all the land, and I was the tenet and was wrecked and needed him to pay attention to ME and help ME. So, I approached God in this manner, with the first base being, that HE HAD MADE ME therefore HE WAS TO HELP ME and if he made me to begin with then he could certainly Remake me, for I was so broken and so shattered.

God has been very good to me, and he has indeed been busy remaking me and he has been bringing me out to the surface of Life and teaching me that he came to give me life and life more abundantly. To live and breathe and move and smile and link smiles from my eyes to others eyes, and to laugh and sing and ENJOY my life he has given back to me, for this is what God is REALLY all about. He did NOT come into the world to put us in ?jails?, and bound us up hand and foot, nor to whip us, or tie us to bedposts , or beat us with many stripes, nor make us sit and numbly memorize scripture without personal help and meaning. Nor constantly remind us how far bad we are?but he came to tell us the good news that he has an abundant life to show us for ourselves.  A life filled with joy and happiness, a life that is Blessed and not cursed. A life where he can take them curses that were slew upon us and turn them around to a blessing for us and help us to become a blessing to others around us. To prove to us that the years of condemnation can and are to  be made void and we are free to live a life of blessing and joy. Not a life of fear or mental illness.

Sincerely,
[email protected]

::rainbow::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »
That woman was a piece of work.  She did indeed have mental problems, and I've heard that she now owns a tv set (oh, the horror!).  I was reading through Melanie's many responses and defensive stance for the homes.  All I can say is you were not during this woman's reign of terror.  I do not undermine everyone else's experiences, for we were all exposed to the humiliation and mind control in there.  This woman, however, was abusive in any sense of the word.  She was sadistic, and even admitted to having been abused as a child.  So, of course, a lot of her disciplinary methods were over the top.  I won't go into details, but I can tell you of punishments that would have sent anyone to jail.  
Also, the period question...I've been to boarding school, boot camp, group homes in Spain and it has never, ever happened again.  I had problems in my reproductory system and know several of the girls have had hysterectomies, so I am quite sure it wasn't stress that was making us skip periods.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »
Hi Kim

I was in Rebekah from '83 to '85. What is your last name? I'm just curious if I know who you are. You should go and sign up for our group at yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roloffhomes/

There are quite a few of us from the time period that you were there. Oh by the way my name was Becky Latimer but now I go by Rebecca Low

Hope to see you in there
Rebecca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »
In reply to your question about Bro. Roloff giving licks to the Rebekah girls - he did not it was Mrs. Cameron or one of the female staff who gave out the corporal punishment.  Mrs. Cameron and Miss. Sue were known for giving the hardest licks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
Roloff was and still is in his deadness an idol of worship for those who worship fundamentalism and fear ...

God is a God of love and correction, but not breaking of spirits....Jesus came to seek and save the lost, not destroy them!!!! Jesus said his yoke is mild and to come to him for REST...not beatings and forcing you to bow your knee or else...what idocy...Jesus is a Gentle Shepherd! he does not and is not and never has been interested in terrifying his own sheep...LOL...ROFL....

choose you this day who you will serve, God or roloff?

not everyone got to go to the hells nests....but those who were taken there know what i am talking about....

the fear of roloff has held thousands in its deadly grip...time to speak up survivors..time to know you are not in this alone...

if the fear of a mere man who was filled with boastings and pride, who defied all authority that he could do his dastardly deeds in darkness....if the fear of a man so ill in his head, is holding you in its grip, realize for one , it can come off ...and the fear of God is not such as torments, but teh fear of God is clean and brings peace and wholeness...

was listening to a man preach the other day...geeezzz...the guy was preachign a roloff sermon....teh famous Dr.Law and Dr.Grace....LOL....cant these modern funamental slaves find thier own juice? who wants left overs all teh time???....

Roloff is dead...why keep him alive? why worship at the feet of a man who was totally messed up in his mind, who could not come under any authority adn was a picture of pure rebellion against the laws that God ordained to be there???

the BIBLE says to DEFEND the children who are rendered orphans, WHAT????? did roloff miss this one??? it says to defend them, for they are without parental covering, they are what the Bible calls, "Fatherless" the oppressed, and God is on the side of the fatherless and oppressed, for he says to us to DEFEND THEM, not whipthem or deal with them in harshness, but to admonish in love and gentle firm corrections...NOT tieing them to beds, not forcing them to bow to a God they cannot see or understand, not beating them till thier skin is broken and bleeding....not locknig them up in a lockup room to go bezerk alone in isolation....

Roloff DISOBEYED GOD , by NOT defending those who are without parental protection, those who by roloffs ways himself were rendered ORPHANS...God was fuming and God can see the day coming, where Justice will be done...

now to some of the survivors roloffs abuses were a shade better than the families they come from, adn so roloff may seemed safer of two evils....

says how sad it is that the families who promoted roloff were so ill themselves....

but, there is way too much carnage....way too much damages, way too many people who never found God and his love while living under the dreadful fear of roloff the very ill man.....

::smokingun::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
Hey Rebecca, my name then was Kim Baker.
I did go to the link and requested to be in the group, thanks for the info!

Your name does not sound familiar to me... I think I must have gotten there after you left, I got there March 19,1986.. I think... gosh that seems like a lifetime ago... and I left in January of 1987.
We know some the same people though... I was trying to think of some of the girls who were there awile when I got there...
Where you in Missouri??
Do you remember..
Lori Higgenbothem?
Michelle Dupre?
gosh.. I am so bad with last names... I remember all of their first names..
How about Jenny Jones?
you can email me at  [email protected]

Kim

Offline sarah21

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »
Amen girl!! you tell them... all of this stuff about GBS and VBA abusing you and everyhting else is LIES!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »
huh?why did you post that statement here?how bizarre this is a roloff thread, as i have stated before i cannot see how you deem either program abusive or not sarah.You yourself have openly admitted to not being a student there so how would you REALLY "know" this baffles me.I think what you are trying to say here is that you never witnessed abuse correct? Because that would be alot more logical.You have stated that you are friends with the cookstons i think? well the cookstons were not the only employees sarah, please do not ever dismiss abuse sarah because in your own words you were not there.I strongly urge you to think before you speak and for gods sake have consideration for others feelings besides your own. Oh and by the way it is VCA not vba.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
On 2004-09-16 17:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"huh?why did you post that statement here?how bizarre this is a roloff thread, as i have stated before i cannot see how you deem either program abusive or not sarah.You yourself have openly admitted to not being a student there so how would you REALLY "know" this baffles me.I think what you are trying to say here is that you never witnessed abuse correct? Because that would be alot more logical.You have stated that you are friends with the cookstons i think? well the cookstons were not the only employees sarah, please do not ever dismiss abuse sarah because in your own words you were not there.I strongly urge you to think before you speak and for gods sake have consideration for others feelings besides your own. Oh and by the way it is VCA not vba."