Author Topic: Safety in Private sector versus Public  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Safety in Private sector versus Public
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »
Quote from: ""MightyAardvark""
okay so let's work on the assuption that kids in programs represent an inherently higher risk population than the general public due to the fact that at least some of them are going to have some problems, they're not being set away for being too nice afterall.

Higher risk of what, though? Program claim not to take seriously distressed, violent, or criminal kids; yet we all know they do. They may have been 'at risk' of getting caught with pot or flunking school, etc, but this population shouldn't be 'at risk' for death- homicide or suicide. The later, if policy is followed, wouldn't be an issue because the program would deny admittance of anyone with serious distress.

Let's compare death rates amongst program kids to death rates amongst juvenile offenders. While we are at it why don't we compare recidivism rates and the rates of drug related hospital admission.
submissions anyone?[/quote]

This whole exercise is really moot. We can't compare anything until the industry is forced to report not just deaths, but all injuries, accidents, physical/sexual attacks, recidivism rates, etc.

The one that gets me- post-program suicides written off. I could see that if the kid went to a 30 day outpatient program, then went home and suicided; but 2 years of intense 'treatment' for $100,000, and they still suicide? What's wrong with that picture? How could anyone conlude that this is effective?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »
Bump..

Why the was this forum at the bottom of the page??

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 11:34:59 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Higher risk of what, though? Program claim not to take seriously distressed, violent, or criminal kids; yet we all know they do. They may have been 'at risk' of getting caught with pot or flunking school, etc, but this population shouldn't be 'at risk' for death- homicide or suicide. The later, if policy is followed, wouldn't be an issue because the program would deny admittance of anyone with serious distress.

Let's compare death rates amongst program kids to death rates amongst juvenile offenders. While we are at it why don't we compare recidivism rates and the rates of drug related hospital admission.
submissions anyone?

This whole exercise is really moot. We can't compare anything until the industry is forced to report not just deaths, but all injuries, accidents, physical/sexual attacks, recidivism rates, etc.

The one that gets me- post-program suicides written off. I could see that if the kid went to a 30 day outpatient program, then went home and suicided; but 2 years of intense 'treatment' for $100,000, and they still suicide? What's wrong with that picture? How could anyone conlude that this is effective?

Sorry Debs you are misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying that this is definitely so, merely that for the sake of argument  me can make that assumption for the time being in order to facilitate further examples of how the troubled teen industry doesn't actually work.
The thing is that they lie out of both sides of their faces. I think it's illustrative to let them present the argument in their own terms and then hammer the shit out of them anyway.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »
So for the 2001-2002 school year we have the following data regarding deaths in the public school/sector versus those in the private theraputic sector:

Out of 52,000,000 kids in the public sector 17 were killed while in school.

Translating to:

1 out of every 3,058,824 kids being murdered while in school

Out of those same 52,000,000 kids in the public sector 5 committed suicide while in school.

Translating to:

1 out of every 10,400,000 kids killing themselves while in public school.

Of those same 52,000,000 2,036 were killed in the public sector.

Translating to:

1 out of every 25540 kids being killed

Of those same 52,000,000 kids 1,772 kids committed suicide.

Translating to

1 out of every 29345 kids in the public sector killing themselves

In the private theraputic sector out of 20,000 kids 2 were murdered by staff members.

Translating to:

1 out of every 10,000 kids being murdered by staff members.

Of those same 20,000 kids in the private theraputic sector 1 committed suicide.

Translating to:

1 out of every 20,000 kids killing themselves.

At least its an improvement over the previous years I guess.  

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindica ... le_1.1.asp

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »
bump.