Author Topic: TB DOCUMENTARY?  (Read 14391 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
About Tranquility Bay
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »
Hi to all

I am Mathieu Verboud, co-director of the documentary film
" Tranquility Bay".

Thanks to those who show an interest in our film. We too want to see the film aired in the U.S and anywhere else.

One of the reasons the film has not yet been released in the U.S is... the 'obstrusive' attitude of a very small number of individuals involved and/or featured in the film. It is true that families or individuals related to the fight against WWASP are often difficult to live with... The word " trial" or "legal charges" is something you hear time and time again. These people don't understand that this film is for them but it's not their film ! And quite frankly, there is not much our production company can do to help clear things out.

Also, I want to highlight the fact that we have no indication that TV editing commissionners in the U.S would show an interest in the film. So that you know, the film sold quite well in the rest of the world but early signals suggest Americans could feel uncomfortable adressing the issue of tough love programs through a foreign eye... or even adressing the issue at all.

Look at the festivals. No North American film festival ever selected the film. Not even Sundance (based in Utah !). Yet, the film was selected at IDFA Amsterdam (one of the most prominent doc film festivals in the world), and various others places and it was even awarded in an international film festival in France.

So the "story" here is very much petty rivalries among activists.. but it's also broader and it's disturbing.  The interest in our film comes mostly from 'consumers', not from TV programs suppliers.

Now, I hope you understand why time drags.. and will probably for long, if nothing is done.

Anyone seeking more information should contact Zadig Productions, in Paris.

And again, thanks for those who want to help the film get aired in the U.S.

Mathieu Verboud
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: About Tranquility Bay
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Mathieu Verboud""
Hi to all

" Tranquility Bay".

Thanks to those who show an interest in our film. We too want to see the film aired in the U.S and anywhere else.

One of the reasons the film has not yet been released in the U.S is... the 'obstrusive' attitude of a very small number of individuals involved and/or featured in the film. It is true that families or individuals related to the fight against WWASP are often difficult to live with... The word " trial" or "legal charges" is something you hear time and time again. These people don't understand that this film is for them but it's not their film ! And quite frankly, there is not much our production company can do to help clear things out.

Also, I want to highlight the fact that we have no indication that TV editing commissionners in the U.S would show an interest in the film. So that you know, the film sold quite well in the rest of the world but early signals suggest Americans could feel uncomfortable adressing the issue of tough love programs through a foreign eye... or even adressing the issue at all.

Look at the festivals. No North American film festival ever selected the film. Not even Sundance (based in Utah !). Yet, the film was selected at IDFA Amsterdam (one of the most prominent doc film festivals in the world), and various others places and it was even awarded in an international film festival in France.

So the "story" here is very much petty rivalries among activists.. but it's also broader and it's disturbing.  The interest in our film comes mostly from 'consumers', not from TV programs suppliers.

Now, I hope you understand why time drags.. and will probably for long, if nothing is done.

Mathieu Verboud

Wow - Thanks so much Mathieu for this reply!

you write: The word " trial" or "legal charges" is something you hear time and time again. These people don't understand that this film is for them but it's not their film !

This makes me So angry! Why can't people put a cap on their massive egos, just once, for the benefit of the greater good!!

If you think it would help - we could write the PBS stations - maybe Frontline - and request they air this documentary. I don't personally care (not one bit) if the film is through "French Eyes" - it is about a very serious American issue - which Americans are largely ignorant of - and Americans need to see this film! I feel confident there would be massive interest, and a huge outcry among the American audience if this could be aired.

You may not have been invited to Sundance b/c of "the Mormon thing". The LDS may run Utah as a church state - but they do not yet have the rest of America under their authority!

Thanks again for everything. If there is anything that can be done to help get this film of your aired please let us know!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:54:16 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
Tell the "activists" whoever they are - to butt out.  Nobody cares about them because it isn't about them.  They need to get over themeselves, IMO.

:flame:

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »
If you think it would help - we could write the PBS stations - maybe Frontline

Shit! Wait! I know somebody who works for Frontline! My neighbor. I honestly don't know how much pull he has over there, but he IS an activist. I can talk to him about it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
Wonder if it could be "verified" where Mr. Mathieu Verbound posted from?
FRANCE?

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
FRANCE?

Just because somebody is French doesn't necessarily mean they are currently posting from FRANCE. There ARE airplanes, you know.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
FRANCE?

Its Mathieu - I am certain. Don't worry about that.

But Mathieu - that is another good reason to register; it would keep others from being able to pretend to be you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
To: Mathieu Verboud

Thank you for posting on Fornits and clarifying the issues raised on this forum relative to the documentary.

If I may, I'd like to propose that you consider creating a website strictly for the promotion of the documentary, The Lost Children of Tranquility Bay.

The website could include clips, a summary of the documentary and perhaps a comments section, links to articles, advocacy websites who have no interest (financial or otherwise) in the documentary, etc.

Other documentaries have done this and been quite successful.  If the documentary could at least be released in a DVD format, this would be an excellent way to market it for sale to the public (or inform them on how and where they can purchase a copy).

Thanks again for your post and kudos for producing such an excellent work on this very troubling issue.

I am sorry if the personal agenda of others may be creating problems but as you say, there are other obstacles.  

Perhaps putting some distance between the promotion of this documentary and these persons by creating a separate website for the documentary would help, even if the documentary can not be viewed in DVD format at this time, I believe having it's own website would lead to more widespread exposure.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 04:04:18 PM »
http://www.waydownyonder.net/Default.aspx?tabid=36

http://www.selfmedicated.com
* not a documentary, this is a fictionalized version of a true story

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: About Tranquility Bay
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »
Mathieu:  Can you at least tell us who is stopping the film? We hear it is WWASP and we hear it is Sue Scheff. Can you at least tell us who is stopping it?

Quote from: ""Mathieu Verboud""
Hi to all

" Tranquility Bay".

Mathieu Verboud

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 10:33:02 AM »
A guest asks:
Mathieu: Can you at least tell us who is stopping the film? We hear it is WWASP and we hear it is Sue Scheff. Can you at least tell us who is stopping it?

I'd suggest reading the following paragraph carefully. There is really not much left to guess at.

Mathieu wrote:

the 'obstrusive' attitude of a very small number of individuals involved and/or featured in the film. It is true that families or individuals related to the fight against WWASP are often difficult to live with... The word " trial" or "legal charges" is something you hear time and time again. These people don't understand that this film is for them but it's not their film !

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
IMO this film maker should state exactly WHO is trying to block the distribution of this film in the United States.
Why does  dance around, and not name WHO it is?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »
IMO this film maker should state exactly WHO is trying to block the distribution of this film in the United States.
Why does  dance around, and not name WHO it is?

Maybe because of this:  ///The word " trial" or "legal charges" is something you hear time and time again. ///

Our maybe it is his journalistic integrity.

I personally think he has been very kind to bother with explaining anything at all; and I can't understand why anyone's first instinct is to attack and or complain.

And for a anon "guest",  demanding names, seems a bit hypocritical.

Not that I wouldn't be happy to see the names of anyone and everyone who is holding up this documentary splattered all over the web - I most surely would.  Maybe someday. . .  But for now we should just be grateful for what light that has been shed on the matter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
Seems to me it's pretty clear once you put all the little pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together.  Scheff is a character in the film that Mathieu refers to. Put this together with the rest of the information we have.

Didn't someone say Mz. Scheff hates Paula Reeves.  Paula Reeves is in the longer documentary so.........................................Yup.

Well, well.  This explains a lot now that I see this review. Sue is not mentioned in the review. Sue is also not mentioned in the reviews of the Aussie documentary but the one below is the longer one shown in France.

Sue wouldn't want one our in the U.S. unless she was in it and the "rumors" about Mz. Scheff being behind the documentary being stopped in the U.S. is beginning to make a lot of sense.

The Lost Children of Tranquility Bay

http://paulareeves.com/Film/1-Film.htm

Okay, now I am really confused after reading this description.  Is this someone that might be able to shed some light on the questions being raised in this thread (assuming this is even the same documentary)?  Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
TB DOCUMENTARY?
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »
Err ... not quite.  Since both Scheff and Reeves are in this documentary, what's the problem?