Author Topic: Problems at Hyde School  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 04:50:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I just read a bunch of postings on Facebook from former Hyde students.  Wow, these are not happy graduates.  A number of the former Hyde students comment about problems at Hyde with student misbehavior, enrollment issues, etc.  

One of the postings said that Tom Lord was fired from Hyde.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Does anyone know the facts?

He was not fired, just that his contract was not renewed for the 2006-2007 year because of management changes and some housecleaning of attitudes that were not constructive.

Ms Gauld will make a fine replacement.  At least she is not a blood relative so she does not have the crazy Joe gene. :-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 12:58:47 AM »
I just read a bunch of postings on Facebook from former Hyde students.  Wow, these are not happy graduates.  A number of the former Hyde students comment about problems at Hyde with student misbehavior, enrollment issues, etc.  

One of the postings said that Tom Lord was fired from Hyde.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Does anyone know the facts?

He was not fired, just that his contract was not renewed for the 2006-2007 year because of management changes and some housecleaning of attitudes that were not constructive.

Ms Gauld will make a fine replacement.  At least she is not a blood relative so she does not have the crazy Joe gene. :-)

Tom Lord was very well liked by the students and parents at Hyde.  He also had very good teaching credentials, something most of the staff at Hyde find intimidating because they lack this. Sure, he didn't get caught up in the Cult at Hyde.  To me this makes him more normal than the wacko's who can't face the world.  Best thing that ever happened to him was to move on.

As far as Mrs Gauld not being blood related, this is true, but she still drinks the same kool-aid as the rest of the Gaulds.  I still don't understand what kind of Mother would leave her kids during the week and only see them on weekends, which is what I am told she is doing.  Something has to suffer whether it be her children raising themselves or the managing of Hyde School in Woodstock

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 01:25:05 AM »
Here is something taken directly off the Facebook website. Register and then you can see what former students think about Hyde.  I am not too impressed by what I keep reading over and over again about this place.................

Blanchette

Of course Hyde is always right. As a matter of fact, the Hyde philosophy is the ultimate solution to the correction of adolescent misbehavior.

After all, why shouldn't a group of young, free-thinking individuals listen to a staff of recovering addicts, college dropouts, and narrow minded, ignorant adults?

And for anyone who considers the Hyde program ineffective, he/she only needs to witness a "bust" to change their stance. The cold precision and humiliating tactics used to punish pot-smokers and the sexually promiscuous are distinctly reminiscent of the Gestappo. I'm surprised we weren't forced to say "ditto" in German.

Too bad I was there for only one year. If I had stuck to it, I'd probably be something important by now. Like a cult leader, or even better, a resident Hyde teacher. Maybe even like fat Tim Smith or Dan Murphy.

Most sincerely,
David Thompson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 01:38:32 AM »
Some more comments from other students on Facebook.

Mr. McCran is no longer headmaster... Laura Gauld is taking over.. The Hyde Charter School Opens In New York... I wonder what is going to happen there... The Girls dorm and the Guys dorm now switched... TOM LORD got fired for no reason... There are only like 2 returing 4 year seniors... No one wants to go back there any more. The Hyde school opened up in nyc

Woostock's own Terry Walsh has been appointed to the state Family Support Council. You can read more about it at the Norwich Bulletin,
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbc ... 01018/1002

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:06:41 AM »

Tom Lord was very well liked by the students and parents at Hyde.  He also had very good teaching credentials, something most of the staff at Hyde find intimidating because they lack this. Sure, he didn't get caught up in the Cult at Hyde.  To me this makes him more normal than the wacko's who can't face the world.  Best thing that ever happened to him was to move on.

As far as Mrs Gauld not being blood related, this is true, but she still drinks the same kool-aid as the rest of the Gaulds.  I still don't understand what kind of Mother would leave her kids during the week and only see them on weekends, which is what I am told she is doing.  Something has to suffer whether it be her children raising themselves or the managing of Hyde School in Woodstock

Please don't attack mother hood.   What kind of woman would do something like that?  How about Eleanor Roosevelt?

niel

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
Please don't attack mother hood.   What kind of woman would do something like that?  How about Eleanor Roosevelt?

niel

He's not attacking motherhood you moron. :roll:  He's stating an opinion about ONE mother.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »

niel

He's not attacking motherhood you moron. :roll:  He's stating an opinion about ONE mother.

Although I think the many faceted levels of Niel's fine sense of humor are often beyond me, I do believe this might be a case where he is not to be taken TOO literally, my friend!    :lol:

-Manny Rivers (2X)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 01:03:50 PM »

niel

Although I think the many faceted levels of Niel's fine sense of humor are often beyond me, I do believe this might be a case where he is not to be taken TOO literally, my friend!    :lol:

-Manny Rivers (2X)

Actually I should have said on the basis of one person's motherhood.  I was actually dead serious.  Many women have leave the act of mothering to a surragate.  During the White house years Eleanor was one of them.  Later in life, it is what my maternal grandmother did for a living.  She raised two boys for a Jewish family in Miami.  She was a goy that spoke yiddish phrases planned passover meals and ran thier household for them.
  I think is is overtly sexist to expect a woman to raise her children on a day to day basis.  

N Loughjizm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 03:19:14 PM »

Tom Lord was part of the reason there were problems in Woodstock. Things are changed and may get better now that he is out. Being liked doesn't make someone good at their job. Mrs. Gauld's daughters are students enrolled in Hyde Bath, and being away from their parent is no worse than for any other boarrding school student. Her son is in a special needs program and lives with his Dad during the week. What's so wrong with that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »

Tom Lord was part of the reason there were problems in Woodstock. Things are changed and may get better now that he is out. Being liked doesn't make someone good at their job. Mrs. Gauld's daughters are students enrolled in Hyde Bath, and being away from their parent is no worse than for any other boarrding school student. Her son is in a special needs program and lives with his Dad during the week. What's so wrong with that?

I think she will do a good job.  I have nothing to base that on other then my intuition from my casual aquantence with her. I hope she does well and helps the school move to a better place. .The argument about her children is specious.  

N Loughjim

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »

I think she will do a good job.  I have nothing to base that on other then my intuition from my casual aquantence with her. I hope she does well and helps the school move to a better place. .The argument about her children is specious.  

N Loughjim

It's not fair to criticize Laura Gauld's choice to be at Woodstock while her kids are at Bath.  She should be able to work where she wants given that her kids are in boarding school.

That said, I think what is worth criticizing is Hyde's overall approach to so-called character education.  As many people here have observed, Hyde speaks a good game but falls apart at the seams when it matters.  Hyde's interpretation of character education is a joke, as far as I can tell.  Sure, they have some good moments, but there are so many bad moments that to call what they do "character education" is an insult.  How on earth is it character education when Hyde staff scream at kids, insult them and their parents, torment students who have psychiatric diagnoses, and parade comical Joe Gauld in front of groups so he can rant?  Do you really think that's character education?  Please.  Anyone who has any sense what run away from Hyde's sadism as fast as possible.  No amount of good moments at Hyde can possibly make up for the torrential downpour of dreadful moments.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »
hear here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 04:43:05 PM »

N Loughjim

It's not fair to criticize Laura Gauld's choice to be at Woodstock while her kids are at Bath.  She should be able to work where she wants given that her kids are in boarding school.

That said, I think what is worth criticizing is Hyde's overall approach to so-called character education.  As many people here have observed, Hyde speaks a good game but falls apart at the seams when it matters.  Hyde's interpretation of character education is a joke, as far as I can tell.  Sure, they have some good moments, but there are so many bad moments that to call what they do "character education" is an insult.  How on earth is it character education when Hyde staff scream at kids, insult them and their parents, torment students who have psychiatric diagnoses, and parade comical Joe Gauld in front of groups so he can rant?  Do you really think that's character education?  Please.  Anyone who has any sense what run away from Hyde's sadism as fast as possible.  No amount of good moments at Hyde can possibly make up for the torrential downpour of dreadful moments.

I never thought of Joe as comical even when he was tryng to be funny,  except maybe the golf pants.  The plaid golf pants were funny.
I don't see Hyde as being a joke,  I see hyde as having some things that work, some things that don't and no curiousity in telling the difference.  I have head people talk about "magic in the walls"  Jeez, maybe folks should just fly to France and make the pilgramage to Lourds and pray for charater.
Why do things work for some people and not for others?  I think hyde has been too self satified with the explaination that it is the kid/family that fails.  Is it always?  IS it ever Hyde that fails?  IF you don't examine and question you never grow as a person.  IF you don't do it as an institution/business you never improve your ablity to carry out your mission..   I think the notion that Joe has been enbued with magic charater dust that he sprinkles on your head (by ranting at you)  is silly.  

N Loughjizm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »

N Loughjim

I never thought of Joe as comical even when he was tryng to be funny,  except maybe the golf pants.  The plaid golf pants were funny.
I don't see Hyde as being a joke,  I see hyde as having some things that work, some things that don't and no curiousity in telling the difference.  I have head people talk about "magic in the walls"  Jeez, maybe folks should just fly to France and make the pilgramage to Lourds and pray for charater.
Why do things work for some people and not for others?  I think hyde has been too self satified with the explaination that it is the kid/family that fails.  Is it always?  IS it ever Hyde that fails?  IF you don't examine and question you never grow as a person.  IF you don't do it as an institution/business you never improve your ablity to carry out your mission..   I think the notion that Joe has been enbued with magic charater dust that he sprinkles on your head (by ranting at you)  is silly.  

N Loughjizm

Hyde plays favorites.  There are those they love, and those they don't.  If you are lucky, or especially skilled, you will fall somewhere inbetween where they will not notice you as much, and there is less risk of transgressions or extreme behaviour/expectations in either direction.  

It has a lot less to do with the actual kid in question than you would believe.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde's problems
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 05:26:49 PM »
Yes, Hyde is very good at encouraging self-examination -- except when it's Hyde that needs self-examination.  Certain staff, and definitely Joe G., love to prance around and point fingers at students and parents, lecturing them about the importance of self-examination.  But should anyone DARE suggest to Hyde staff that they take a good, long, hard look at themselves they're met with the usual Hyde BS.  I'm still waiting for Hyde to live up to its own ideals; they're far from it, which is why they have such a lousy reputation in so many quarters.  Many of us see Hyde for what it is, which ain't great.