Author Topic: Problems at Hyde School  (Read 10783 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:25:26 PM »
I just "Googled" the Hyde School.  I came across this web site that lists schools and programs for teens where there have been significant problems.  Parents who are looking for information about Hyde should see this: http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#hyde
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:51:03 AM »
Reading through that site about Hyde brings back bad memories.  Hyde is a strange place.  You either see the place as dangerous and a waste of time, or there are those who worship Hyde and Joe Gauld like people worship the leader of a Cult! I think that it is the weak and desperate who hang onto Hyde and go back for seminars.  Those who are strong and have their act together see the weakness in Hyde and run as far as they can.

Would love to hear from some of those teachers who left after a year or two, (big percentage of them do) in order to find out why there is such a high turnover in faculty at Hyde.

Many things are a mystery at Hyde!  It's a frightening place and I fear that one day someone will be seriously injured or killed on one of their campuses.  Maybe it already has happened.  Hyde goes to great lengths to hide what goes on there rather than practicing what they teach, Truth over Harmony

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:58:24 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Reading through that site about Hyde brings back bad memories.  Hyde is a strange place.  You either see the place as dangerous and a waste of time, or there are those who worship Hyde and Joe Gauld like people worship the leader of a Cult! I think that it is the weak and desperate who hang onto Hyde and go back for seminars.  Those who are strong and have their act together see the weakness in Hyde and run as far as they can.

Would love to hear from some of those teachers who left after a year or two, (big percentage of them do) in order to find out why there is such a high turnover in faculty at Hyde.

Many things are a mystery at Hyde!  It's a frightening place and I fear that one day someone will be seriously injured or killed on one of their campuses.  Maybe it already has happened.  Hyde goes to great lengths to hide what goes on there rather than practicing what they teach, Truth over Harmony

Really?  That would not be a false dicotamy by any chance?  Only two ways to see it? Really?

Neil Loughjizm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:00:31 PM »
Do you have anything interesting to add or are you going to continue to put down the posters who do have something legitimate to say?

What is your association with Hyde? How do you feel about Hyde School?  Do you know why there is such a high turnover of faculty?  Would love to hear a reply to these questions rather than your sarcasm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 08:02:33 AM »
One of the reasons there is a hefty faculty turnover every couple of years is because there are a lot of staff that come right out of college.  They are young, energtic (able to take the grueling Hyde schedule) and most are able to really connect with the kids.

Usually after three or four years these young faculty members head to grad school, international travel and studies, on to another school where their Hyde expereince helped them get that position.

Some if not many return to Hyde after receiving their MA or leave a traditional prep school missing the intensity of Hyde.

Also with the new leadership in Woodstock, you'll probably see a lot less turn over other than the journey to get an advanced degree.

I left after 4 years and really miss it.  I'll probably go back someday.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
Do you have anything interesting to add or are you going to continue to put down the posters who do have something legitimate to say?

What is your association with Hyde? How do you feel about Hyde School?  Do you know why there is such a high turnover of faculty?  Would love to hear a reply to these questions rather than your sarcasm

Sadly, like yourself I have nothing new to add. Again like you, I can only offer criticism.

My connection with Hyde is that of a former student.  How do I feel about hyde? I liked Hyde.  Why does Hyde turn over staff?  They pay shit to entry level staff. Why do they do that? To pay for Joe's golf outings to St Andrews I suppose.
 There is a whole range of ways to look at any experience to suggest that there are just two is a notion that is worthy of a few acirbic remarks.  I look at Hyde sort of the same way I look at the relationship I had with a girl I meet there, with border line personality disorder.  I have fond memories of her but I am glad she married some one else.

Neil Loughjizm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »
I just "Googled" the Hyde School.  I came across this web site that lists schools and programs for teens where there have been significant problems.  Parents who are looking for information about Hyde should see this: http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#hyde

Thank you for this information about Hyde.  About two weeks ago I was referred to another family that visited Hyde to determine whether it was a good school for their child.  The father told me that after about an hour talking with Hyde staff he had the "creeps" and felt like he was being drawn into a cult. The dad told me that everyone he talked with at Hyde sounded like they were reading from doctrine and had memorized their speech.  The parents said they knew almost immediately that Hyde was not a healthy place, at least not for their family.  They said that staff at the few other schools they visited seemed so much more "real" and humane.   This sure steered me away from Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 12:47:13 AM »
These potential parents must be very smart to have picked up on the dangers of Hyde so fast. It is very easy to be sucked into Hyde.  We didn't realize how "spooky" it was for a while or then again maybe we were simply desperate.  This can sometimes blind you to what is before you!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »
I went on the Hyde website recently and see that they are still misrepresenting themselves saying that 98-99% of their graduating class is accepted to a four year college.  The inference is that this percentage of students go to a four year college.  Those of us who have been through Hyde know this not to be the case.  Is this called "false advertising?"  Shoot, half of my class are still loosers and this has been many years since I graduated!  Some are working in bars, some not working at all, some on drugs and very few completed a four year education or have gone on to careers that can support a family.

What happened to all that "Truth over Harmony" that was pounded into our heads everyday?  What a joke.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 06:46:59 PM »
I went on the Hyde website recently and see that they are still misrepresenting themselves saying that 98-99% of their graduating class is accepted to a four year college.  The inference is that this percentage of students go to a four year college.  Those of us who have been through Hyde know this not to be the case.  Is this called "false advertising?"  Shoot, half of my class are still loosers and this has been many years since I graduated!  Some are working in bars, some not working at all, some on drugs and very few completed a four year education or have gone on to careers that can support a family.

What happened to all that "Truth over Harmony" that was pounded into our heads everyday?  What a joke.

What you're saying is exactly right.  I think Hyde staff are masters at spin.  They know how to project an image to try to seduce desperate parents.  Now that I know Hyde I know that underneath the fancy exterior is a lot of slime.  It's comical to read Hyde's published materials and compare them with the reality.  I think you're right that Hyde misleads people.  The claim about college enrollments is just the tip of the iceberg.  Parents who are seriously considering Hyde should talk to people like us who know that much of what goes on there is rotten at the core.  At Hyde it's Truth over Harmony except when it's not convenient for Hyde to be truthful.  Hyde can't afford to be truthful about the large number of immature, emotionally abusive and incompetent staff and the arrogance that permeates the school.  How Hyde survives is beyond me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 06:50:57 PM »

What you're saying is exactly right.  I think Hyde staff are masters at spin.  They know how to project an image to try to seduce desperate parents.  Now that I know Hyde I know that underneath the fancy exterior is a lot of slime.  It's comical to read Hyde's published materials and compare them with the reality.  I think you're right that Hyde misleads people.  The claim about college enrollments is just the tip of the iceberg.  Parents who are seriously considering Hyde should talk to people like us who know that much of what goes on there is rotten at the core.  At Hyde it's Truth over Harmony except when it's not convenient for Hyde to be truthful.  Hyde can't afford to be truthful about the large number of immature, emotionally abusive and incompetent staff and the arrogance that permeates the school.  How Hyde survives is beyond me.

Here's another example of Hyde hypocrisy.  I've heard staff tell kids over and over again that they're phony and too concerned about their image.  Uh . . . sounds a lot like what Hyde does.  Like you said, Hyde is consumed with projecting a rosy image in spite of what many of us know to be the truth.  No wonder so many of us see right through Hyde's hypocrisy.  The best example is how Joe Gauld talks about the importance of character and then acts like a flaming jerk who yells at people and shames them.  Now that's the kind of role model I want for my kid.  Not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 01:58:32 AM »

Sadly, like yourself I have nothing new to add. Again like you, I can only offer criticism.

My connection with Hyde is that of a former student.  How do I feel about hyde? I liked Hyde.  Why does Hyde turn over staff?  They pay shit to entry level staff. Why do they do that? To pay for Joe's golf outings to St Andrews I suppose.
 There is a whole range of ways to look at any experience to suggest that there are just two is a notion that is worthy of a few acirbic remarks.  I look at Hyde sort of the same way I look at the relationship I had with a girl I meet there, with border line personality disorder.  I have fond memories of her but I am glad she married some one else.

Neil Loughjizm

Damn Neil, I'm a fan (of your posts).  This is the craziest website.  I come back every six months or so to look at it and its the exact same stuff (and has been since it started), mostly from the same people over and over.  Very black and white.  Thinly, to not so thinly veiled anger.   Self-serving claims, with more rumor and innuendo than you can get on Jerry Springer.  Complete lack of ownership by almost all-anonymous posters.  Mostly just trash and drivel, trying to be erudite.

I would much rather read gd lyrics (RIP jerr), but occasionally this site is almost as entertaining, and now I can get both!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Problems at Hyde School
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 08:49:47 AM »
I just read a bunch of postings on Facebook from former Hyde students.  Wow, these are not happy graduates.  A number of the former Hyde students comment about problems at Hyde with student misbehavior, enrollment issues, etc.  

One of the postings said that Tom Lord was fired from Hyde.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Does anyone know the facts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »
I just read a bunch of postings on Facebook from former Hyde students.  Wow, these are not happy graduates.  A number of the former Hyde students comment about problems at Hyde with student misbehavior, enrollment issues, etc.  

One of the postings said that Tom Lord was fired from Hyde.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Does anyone know the facts?

do you have a link to Facebook?  I'm not familiar with it...  thnx

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »

He was not fired, just that his contract was not renewed for the 2006-2007 year because of management changes and some housecleaning of attitudes that were not constructive.