Author Topic: To tell kids or not?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:19:12 PM »
Okay, this one's busting me inside.

I'm a mod of a forum I most certainly will not name on Fornits (and I most certainly don't use the name Milk Gargling Death Penalty there!), one where the primary subject is of interest to teenagers and pre-teens. Kids post there, kids I don't know the backgrounds of.

One part of me is saying "Jesus fuck, what if one of them really IS in danger of being sent away and I DIDN'T warn him?" and the other is saying "Cripes, asshole, if they really were they probably wouldn't be posting there, they're just kids and this shit will give them nightmares. Don't post it, they shouldn't even have to think about this!"

Which attitude is correct?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:26:36 AM »
I always new it was you, Lon.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: To tell kids or not?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:04:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""

I'm a mod of a forum I most certainly will not name on Fornits (and I most certainly don't use the name Milk Gargling Death Penalty there!), one where the primary subject is of interest to teenagers and pre-teens. Kids post there, kids I don't know the backgrounds of.

One part of me is saying "Jesus fuck, what if one of them really IS in danger of being sent away and I DIDN'T warn him?" and the other is saying "Cripes, asshole, if they really were they probably wouldn't be posting there, they're just kids and this shit will give them nightmares. Don't post it, they shouldn't even have to think about this!"

I say tell them.  Even if they not at risk of being sent to program they might know somebody who is, or has been sent.  You never know where the information could go and where if could help.  Kids aren't as easy to scare as they used to be.  I wouldn't worry much about that.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »
what would be the point of telling them?  most already know they could be sent somewhere for something - jail, psych hosp, or maybe "program".  some will never care.  some can't think it would ever happen to them.

then too, what would you tell them?  wouldn't you really be sort of shooting in the dark?  perhaps you could stir up something, or you could destroy your credibility or role as "moderator" by becoming a biased participant.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:53:43 AM »
dont warn kids warn the parents.. they are the ignorant ones.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 10:56:28 AM »
Are you an adult? If so, why do you interact on teen forums?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »
I'd make a general statement and link them to this board.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline White Cracker Man

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
I would tell them. The potential positives far outweigh the potential positives.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
Would you avoid telling them about STDs, because it might scare them? It may give them motivation to 'act' appropriately around their parents, which could prevent a few placements.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline BSarro

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:46:30 PM »
Parents have enough problems without idiotic fools like Deborah and Milk Gargling Death Penalty intruding in thier and their children's lives.
od helps those who help themselves.                            Take marriage seriously.                             Once the Wedding Ring goes on the finger, it stays on the finger.

Offline survivor122770

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Are you an adult? If so, why do you interact on teen forums?

he is a moderator. why dont you read the whole post.
was tortured at bethel childrens home for 4 yrs 84-88 i was there when it was raided

Offline survivor122770

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Would you avoid telling them about STDs, because it might scare them? It may give them motivation to 'act' appropriately around their parents, which could prevent a few placements.

good point deborah. i am glad there were at least a couple of mature replies.
was tortured at bethel childrens home for 4 yrs 84-88 i was there when it was raided

Offline survivor122770

• View Profile
Re: To tell kids or not?
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""

milk, do you have the option to post as a guest? if so you could just post a link to fornits and let them figure it out for themselves. it may scare some of them or give them nightmares but it would be nothing compared to the nightmare of being sent to one of these places. maybe if they checked fornits out and it scared them bad enough some of them that are on the wrong path in life would take another look at how they are living their life, or the decisions they are making. most kids who participate on forums are in the higher iq percentile. i personally think that if we adults treated kids a little more maturely that they would respond more maturely. i think that we as adults shield children way to much these days. they are exposed to far worse in school and even on the nightly news than anything here on fornits. anyway just my opinion, i am sure bsarro will now put me on the list of idiotic fools, but i dont care he is on mine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To tell kids or not?
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
I'm almost always of the opinion that sheltering children is stupid and a bad idea, but Fornits is one of the few exceptions. The things discussed here- propheets, raps, OP, long-term incarceration, and every word of it reality- are enough to make even me think twice.

Yeah, I chose to tell them.

maybe if they checked fornits out and it scared them bad enough some of them that are on the wrong path in life would take another look at how they are living their life

It might, but that's because the kids don't know that whatever they may or may not actually be doing has surprisingly little to do with whether they get sent away.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
add me too
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 10:45:12 PM »
Quote from: ""BSarro""
Parents have enough problems without idiotic fools like Deborah and Milk Gargling Death Penalty intruding in thier and their children's lives.

You can add me to that list of idiotic fools too.  Better a fool than an ed-con.  Go back to hell Lon.  Hey that rhymes.  Maybe i should make a song.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)