Author Topic: 7 gettin HIGH in St. Pete. 1985 (DAYS CALLED IN) Talk to me  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
7 gettin HIGH in St. Pete. 1985 (DAYS CALLED IN) Talk to me
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 03:11:00 PM »
Thank you for your story Carmel, quite the days of hell. While I was reading it brought me again to those days.  I thought school had even been called in at first but I believe you are correct. Those first phasers running one after another definitely holds true.  The days that the victims got to play, they loved disrupting the group and paying the consequences, the screams where loader and the feelings of pain all around. Everybody that got stood up was set back. No one trusted anyone and everybody was on RED alert. Ist phasers restraining the misbehaviors, talk about early training.  And yes the group had become "INSANE".

I?m glad to see and hear that we all made it out of the nightmare even though these days still linger inside.  I?m glad to see the truth in these things and I know my freedom has come closer to me. I will walk the streets with my head held up towards the sky because I know now I don?t have to listen to all the lies.  PA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »
I remember while on Staff we had a group of people coming to visit the building.  Due to confidentiality alot of the clients were moved to a church down the street from the building.  
It seemed like there were a ton of people running for the door.  The screaming and crying you talk of in your post brought back the memories of that day more vividly then ever before. I got to the point that I wanted to leave myself.  Hell, I was 7th Stepped for over a year, what the hell did I need to stay there for.  
It was the worse day for me as a Staffer and the suicidal ideations were intense for me that day. :cry:

Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Smith on 2003-03-17 12:34 ]
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline shell66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2003, 05:31:00 PM »
Morli,

I thought Jeff came from the Straight in Orlando.  It's me Shell, his high school/college sweetheart.  I remember so clearly when he was admitted and it was in Orlando, near "I" Drive.  It's been so many years, that maybe my mind is slipping.  Does Steve Brooks know about his death?  I actually remember meeting Steve once.  Jeff came home for a visit and I met him at a restaurant and I think he brought Steve home with him.  It was about that time that his dad and step mom adopted a new baby girl and a year or so later she got pregnant with his brother.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2003, 06:00:00 PM »
Shell,
 Could have been Orlando, everyone who started Straight Dallas, was from St. Pete. I was on 1st phase when Jeff was transfered. As far as Steve goes, I've been trying to get in touch with him for years with no luck. I have always wondered and worried. Last I heard from Steve, he wasn't doing well. That was over 10 years ago. I still miss him. E-mail me and I'll give you my phone # if you want to continue a correspondence.
[email protected]  I would like that.
Take care,
Love,
Morli

Offline The Devil Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »
Dallas 1988 I got there on the Friday before Easter (good friday? err whatever Im not a christian so I have no idea) that was 4- 2 1988 and I remember that summer was really insane..

That was the last year in the(was it 1305?) Executive Drive bldg...Richardson, Tx..
 But they called days in there too.. Totally diffrent incident..and there was nowhere that many started over..

But the "Group was weak" so they called everyone in for a while and I think everything other than homes and rules rap...was some shit slinging..

I was a 3rd phaser and the only Straight client in that city...at that school..Most of the kids were in high school..I was still in the 7th grade hehe..

But I had done alot of shit wrong...I had a little Junior high "girlfriend"...I mean we were passing notes and all that shit..Nothing serious..but in Straight that was the equivalent of murder..

I was talking to old "druggie" friends on the payphone..
I was getting stoned..
I let my newcomers pretty much do whatever..
If you had me for an oldcomer you had it easy..

But my nerves of steel were eroding..
I knew it was just a matter of time until my own conscious ate me up..
 Or one of my newcomers decided to use me and my leniance as a stepping stone to 2nd phase..

I would get that fucking knot in my stomach as we got closer to the bldg...

Ahh the Bldg....hehe "THE BUILDING" But it was so much more than that wasnt it??

It had its own smell...it had an aura didnt it?
The Building...I bet the walls of those warehouses still echo with a Vibe of pain..

You remember the feeling when you had some "Shit you were holding back" and it was OMR or CMR night? And your hands and neck would get all splotchy and shit...and it seemed like THEY KNEW....a simple glance from a certain person..THEY KNOW....

AHHHAHAHAHA That was the shit that ate ya right there..that pressure built..until your little mind warped under the strain...

THATS HOW THEY GOT YOU
never \"try\" anything...I just do it..
Wanna try me?

Offline The Devil Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »
I remember that sound so well..Dallas was always fucking PACKED with kids...and I also remember those "days" you speak of..

Of course...we always had to be straing at whoever was talking..and it always started the same..
  That scuffling chair sound and then screaming and yelling ..and 5 seconds later the rows are all broken apart chairs unhooked (why the fuck did they order chairs that hooked together??!)

And people bolting for the doors...

And the Staff members always told ya to face forward and sing a song...Staring at the signs singing "I love the mountains" with all kinds of torturous screaming coming from behind
never \"try\" anything...I just do it..
Wanna try me?

Offline taureana

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »
I had forgotten about having all misbehavors restrained at once.  Having all the upper phasers at school and dealing with the shit myself.  I was the oldest girl there for so long and even on 1st phase I was helping 4 point girls to the floor.

I never went to school in Straight.  Never worked more than a day or two.

10 months of nothing but group.  When days got called in, it made my stomach turn.  I didn't have a car, so when I had days off, all I did was sit outside the building and write my 4th step, read AA/NA books, or write support notes to everyone on the girls' side.  There was nothing else for me to do.  We had one 5th phaser and she went to school and only one other 4th phaser and she was in school too.

For years I have felt guilty for not staying in Straight.  I felt guilty for walking when I turned 18.  I found out a few days later that the only 5th phaser girl copped out the same day I walked, just by coincidence.  Executive staff called me and promised that if I came back I would only get a 7 day phase review (I hadn't gotten high or talked to any guys yet) and as soon as the minimum days were up on my 4th phase that I would be put on 5th phase.

I felt guilty for not doing it.  I felt guilty for leaving the girls' side so weak.

I remember times that I would be assigned as Runner on Friday night OMR's.  When I was a lower phaser I remember plenty of times when the Runner would be replaced and brought in to be utterly ripped to shreds.  And sitting at the front office reading whatever crap was at the desk, every time that door would open, my heart would sink because I was afraid that someone was coming to replace me.  How I hated Friday nights.

And I wasn't even full of shit, but I would still panic.  Other than the fact that I kept 1 picture of a "druggie friend".  Oh, yeah, and I had a crush on a staff member.  Big fucking deal.

Thank you all for your vivid memories.  I don't feel guilty for splitting anymore.

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
That was the worst of it...Thats the hardest part to get over..
 They turned your own mind agaisnt you...and once you start second guessing every thought...its all over...and you will crack..

They robbed your piece of mind..

It wasnt so much the sitting up, lack of privacy, or lack of food that was bad for me..
 Sure that all added to the package..But it was the mind games..Paranoia..

We all eventually got our freedom and privacy back...and regular food..
 But alot of us never got piece of mind back..and mabey never will...

And that, ladies and gentleman...is the saddest thing..
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 06:59:00 AM »
Funny that I lost my piece of mind in the name of sobriety...and that same thing I gave up for "cleanliness" is what drove me to the needle..

Oh I found piece of mind alright..it came wrapped in foil and smelled like vinegar..

I bled for it....I dulled thousands of stainless steel pins in my body for it..

Ever accidently scraped a bone with a needle?
Ever thought you were digging a vein but got a nerve instead?

See my shadow changing,
stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armour,
hoping I can clear the way by,
stepping through my shaddow,
comming out the other side.
Step into the shaddow,
fourty- six and two are just ahead of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spit up on my plate...as I sever the entity...sperate..seperate...seperate..seperate

[ This Message was edited by: Therion on 2004-02-18 04:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Therion on 2004-02-18 04:02 ]
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
This old post brought back memories

In late spring/early summerof 81 none of the other groups had left yet with the exception of Sarasota. The St Pete group was enormous with probably 300 or so kids. It wasn't officially summer yet but in central Florida it can hit 90 just about anytime. And it can get way hotter in a windowless, unairconditioned warehouse. The heat coupled with exercise raps that went on for hours, lack of sleep and lack of food was contributing to the usual misery and insanity.

The main room was like a giant sauna. Suffocating. It was like trying to breathe with a big wet blanket over your face.The higher phases had fallen into a heavy apathy along with much of the lower phases. Days were called in. People were confronted and started over continually. Mostly we struggled to remain as still as possible without falling asleep. I used to fantasize about toothpicks. If I had them  I thought, I would put them in my eyes to hold up my eyelids that weighed a ton. Even sitting perfectly still, sweat rolled down our sides and puddled at the back of our bent knees. The walls sweated right along with us. The floor was the only cool place. Sometimes I wondered if people didn't misbehave for the soul purpose of ending up on the cold floor.  

At least a third of the group was on the peanut butter and jelly diet. We'd get taken with sweaty hands through the beltloop up to the foodline and there'd be nothing but frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The bread didn't stay frozen long but the little blob of peanut butter at the center remained belligerantly frozen at the center of it's big bun. Even when thawed, it still tasted frozen.

I wish they'd brought in 60 minutes or 20/20 on one of those days. What a sight! On every row, eyes were rolling as people fell asleep. Fifth phasers were busy poking and prodding people to sit up straight, stay awake, motivate. And all over group kids were carving on themselves. Self mutilation was the order of the day. They carved into their arms, legs even their faces in expression of their misery. Mostly they used their fingernails since very few had access to even a spork. Occassionally someone would find some bit of broken chair and create truly dramatic carvings. Lisa carved the words "highway to hell" up her arm. Legible from anywhere on the girls side. One guy carved a huge circle on his cheek. It was solid & bloody about the size of a half dollar. Another carved streaks in his cheeks that looked like Indian war paint. Everyone had deep dark circles under their eyes. Sunken eyes that appeared even darker against white skin that had not seen the light of day for months. We truly looked like zombies from Dawn of the Dead.

One day just as the staff was changing for the noon rap frantic commotion broke out everywhere. A group of 10 or 12 kids made a break for it all at once. Guys and girls. I don't know how or if they coordinated or if people just seized the opportunity. Three guys  ran to the double doors at the back of the group. One of them, the boy with the war paint carvings jumped up and over the heads of the guys standing sentry at the doors. He rolled in the short hallway right up onto his feet and was gone. Two others were tackled. People ran to the three doors that led into the carpet room. One kid even tried to make a break through the door that led into the reception area. Three girls went for the back doube doors. Two made it out but one was nailed in the parking lot. She was dragged back in screaming and crying and bleeding. She disappeared fora few days, I asssume into an intake room. Another guy escaped though I'm not sure how. The staff made a big production of bringing him back in. And one guy was brought in a few weeks later by the sheriff. He was in leg irons and handcuffs.They brought him to the back of the group, told us that he would not work his  program and was going to Raeffurt Penitentury.

It was a long miserable summer. And it was days in pretty much up to the holidays.

Faith is the commitment of one's consciousness to beliefs for which one has no sensory evidence or rational proof. A mystic is a man who treats his feelings as tools of cognition. Faith is the equation of feeling with knowledge.
--Ayn Rand, Russian-born author

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline jdcarlson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
Is that you kleg?
cassler?
Whidden?

Offline jdcarlson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
clay?

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
On 2003-03-16 12:28:00, Morli wrote:

"I know your story is true, Jeffrey Spearman came to Dallas from St. Pete. in late '86. He told us those stories. All those assholes you mentioned that helped start Dallas were bat-shit insane, and mean to boot! Jeff used to make fun of the guy who used to bash into the brick wall.(When he talked about it) Staff sure could talk behind backs couldn't they. Poor Jeff, he was a good guy, just corrupted by the evil that effected us all with no choice. * sigh * By the time I was half way through my program, a large majority of the group were misbehaviors, and there was lots of lack of control because of it. Even on 4th I secretly enjoyed watching them fuck with Staff, and interupt Group. As a whole though, and in retrospect, it's heart breaking.

Later~

Morli"

No he wasnt a good guy he was a psycho piece of shit dickhead. Isnt he dead now?
 :rofl:
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
Who knows, but a word to the wise: You had better damn well learn how to show more appreciation for straight staff before your upcoming intake at SIBS!  :flame:

Love ya!  :wave:

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
On 2003-03-17 10:19:00, Carmel wrote:

"One particularly bad day, the restraints started in the morning before we all even got together completely from home.  Its weird to say it but everyone here will probably understand, there were days where the misbehavers were rather entertaining, even in their attempts at running and there were day when they all seemed to be in so much more pain than usual....the crying and screaming was louder and the restraints more violent.  This was a day like that.
"

I haven't been really upset about all of this in a few months now, but reading this thread was surprisingly upsetting for me.

I know exactly what you are talking about Carmel in this description, and I remember days called in lasting one time for a month while I was there. And the whole month seemed this way to me. It seemed like there was constant hysteria, screaming, crying, fights breaking out, and it just never seemed to end. You couldn't get a moments peace because there was always a commotion going on. Then the staff would come in and freak out on everybody and scream about how horrible we were all doing. Which just made things feel even more horrifying and hopeless....[ This Message was edited by: JMA on 2005-03-24 11:22 ]