Author Topic: I heard ART retired  (Read 10460 times)

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2002, 01:12:00 AM »
On the matter of a cult vs being like a cult. I remember the Lawyers saying that after KIDS essentially ceased to exist as a "treatment program" it remained as a cult that still exists. So, deprived of their key source of income ( the abusive therapy con-job) the programs do end up surviving as cults, albeit small ones.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
I just found about about another Synanon spin off in the Miami area around the late `70's. The place was called Operation Reentry.

I don't really look at Art as having started anything. I think Chuck Dederich and Jim Jones were probably the pioneers in brainwashing as therapy. But they would have been nowhere and Art, Joe Ricci et al would never have been in business if it hadn't been for NIDA funding, lobbying and general protection and promotion.

Art was always a very spooky little man. Libbi and Shelly too. They probably still believe they're some kind of messianic trinity.

Hello, anybody still watching this thread? I know about Operation Reentry! I was there, and was just thinking about it today, and found this as one of the top results!

"OR", as we used to call it, was originally run by a nut named Warren Klein... I think I remember some old stuff about the "Seed", but the stories I heard of it sounded evil, or at least suspicious. But I loved it, especially after the change in management. I went there for the 7th grade, right there on Miami Beach, and I guess I could tell as many bad stories as good ones, but in the end, they got shut down when the city stopped all support. We tried to fight it, but it did not work.

I remember several people from there, though, that I've always wondered where they went... Could you be one? :)

--JJ

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
Nope. But, what were the names of the people in charge?

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »
Wait the seed was still operating pass the year 2000!??!
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »
What about Art Barker's stand-up comedy?

What was his material like?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What about Art Barker's stand-up comedy?

What was his material like?

Not a big fan, but he did have one joke that was kinda funny.
It went something like this:

Q. How many Seedlings does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A. One to screw it in, the other 39,999 to sodomize and incestualize each other; pissing, scatting, rusty trumpeting, dirty sanchezing, flute slurpeling, pussy scatting, cocksmoking, cumming, kicking, confronting, marathoning, felating, puking violently, punching, spitting, felching, farting and just generally hurting one another while the one poor fucker tries to get the lightbulb in. The paid staff has to get involved in all of this while the one seedling is screwing in the lightbulb.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 02:50:08 PM »
You know, I haven't read this in a while...but it is kind of funny!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
I heard ART retired
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Stripe""
Dang, that's funny as hell.  :lol:

Maybe its just me,  but it gets funnier every time I read it!

::hey::  ::hey::  ::hey::

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Re: I heard ART retired
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
Q. How many Seedlings does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A. One to screw it in, the other 39,999 to sodomize and incestualize each other; pissing, scatting, rusty trumpeting, dirty sanchezing, flute slurpeling, pussy scatting, cocksmoking, cumming, kicking, confronting, marathoning, felating, puking violently, punching, spitting, felching, farting and just generally hurting one another while the one poor fucker tries to get the lightbulb in. The paid staff has to get involved in all of this while the one seedling is screwing in the lightbulb.

:karma:
It's been a while since I saw this, but this is still funny.   Think about that poor bastard screwing in the light bulb amid all this hubub and dismay.  Poor bastard.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
I just found about about another Synanon spin off in the Miami area around the late `70's. The place was called Operation Reentry.

Hello, anybody still watching this thread? I know about Operation Reentry! I was there, and was just thinking about it today, and found this as one of the top results!

"OR", as we used to call it, was originally run by a nut named Warren Klein... I think I remember some old stuff about the "Seed", but the stories I heard of it sounded evil, or at least suspicious. But I loved it, especially after the change in management. I went there for the 7th grade, right there on Miami Beach, and I guess I could tell as many bad stories as good ones, but in the end, they got shut down when the city stopped all support. We tried to fight it, but it did not work.

I remember several people from there, though, that I've always wondered where they went... Could you be one? :)

--JJ

Hello!  I am one!

Was there in April of 1978 to August of 1978.  I hang with a few people who were there then.....

Matter of fact...one of them spoke today at an NA meeting this morning...brought back some memories...hence the reason i was googling it.  I didn't even DO drugs or ever had a drink at that time...was just a discipline problem...but that place screwed me up in a major way.  I am glad it got shut down.  The way they treated people was no way to help anyone...

Just my 2 cents worth

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
Shelly was Arts wife there is about 20-25 yrs between them. Wow when somebody brought up a Kienzle as being Libbys husband I was shocked i knew a couple of Kienzle kids when i was there 78-81 they were from St. Pete. I wonder if it's one of those guys / They were major buckwheats.

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
I understand one Kienzle is dead, the other married Libby;

Offline innerfish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about the Kienzles, I liked them both. One stayed at my apartment for a while and one was my brothers oldcomer. I miss the friends I made there in Florida and the guys I came down from Cleveland with, i never had anything more to do with them after they closed my apatment and left the State. Except Alex  P. we went to school on the same campus and stayed in touch for a couple of years. Funny I was thinking of a guy I went to Florida with any was polking around on the web when I saw that picture about Art retiring and there he was John Perlof, i guess I don't have to wonder what happened to him.

Offline soflajb

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
Quote from: "innerfish"
Sorry to hear about the Kienzles, I liked them both. One stayed at my apartment for a while and one was my brothers oldcomer. I miss the friends I made there in Florida and the guys I came down from Cleveland with, i never had anything more to do with them after they closed my apatment and left the State. Except Alex  P. we went to school on the same campus and stayed in touch for a couple of years. Funny I was thinking of a guy I went to Florida with any was polking around on the web when I saw that picture about Art retiring and there he was John Perlof, i guess I don't have to wonder what happened to him.

I knew Alex in Cleveland - do you know what happened to him/ where he ended up?  he was a good guy - i have wondered a few times over the years what happened to him.  I stayed at his house on weekends to the seed on many occasions in cleveland.

John was involved in the seed for many years, not sure if he was until it closed, but if not, he was still involved almost up to that point.