Author Topic: How To Help A Kid These Days  (Read 2158 times)

Offline MIKES

• View Profile
How To Help A Kid These Days
« on: November 01, 2001, 12:54:06 PM »
I am expecting a telephone call today from a friends Mom and Dad.  The subject - A 17 year old kid totally hooked on drugs and what to do.  

I don't buy into the thinking that drinking and drugs are a disease...... - once you take that drink or puff, you will "go way down"......

I do believe that doing drugs / alcohol is kind of like having a tiger for a pet and think that kids don't know or understand this so they are willing to step into the pen without the awareness needed to make it out alive.  Some kids do - some don't.

So - what should I tell the family?

Mike S.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 02:20:42 PM »
What to tell em'
 I seriously hope, no one ever asks me for help with their kid on drugs.  It's like asking "why are we here?".  All I can say is , and this is asuming you 've been there yourself,  go talk to the kid yourself alone where he feels comfrotable saying whatever is on his mind and respond to him with your own experience. If you've been there ,then you will find the words.......2-dogs

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 10:51:46 PM »
Kids ta' day
I'd say that, regardless of local contemporary statutes, there's not much you can do to convince a 17 year old young man that he's still a child once he's decided otherwise.

Yeah, if you know the kid talk with him. Give him the benefit of your experience but hold the advice unless he asks for it.

Tell the parents, whatever they do, don't reject the kid or even threaten to. Nobody wants to be a junkie, the kid will figure things out sooner or later like the rest of us. He'll still need family even when he's all grown up.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes