Author Topic: Gods politics  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Gods politics
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:23:16 AM »
Jim Wallis
Gods Politics: Why the American right gets it wrong and the left doesn't get it[/i]
Lion Hudson Plc 2005
isbn 13:978-0-7459-5224-6
I am not really very religious. I guess you would call me a once a year at christmas catholic. For me having a faith of any sort is really all about nobody playing any undignified Celene Dion songs at my funeral. Lets just mutter the incantations and sing the lord is my shephard and be done with it!

So I read this book because i have been quite interested in the rise of the religious right in American Politics for some time and its effect on civil liberties. I have also long taken note that the Fallwells of the world have often forgotten basic Christian concepts like social justice, forgiveness and equality.
While I did not agree with everything this man had to say, i thought it was about time that in a country where religion has a powerful social and political influence someone spoke on behalf of the religious left. Finally there is someone who is willing to point out that it was never in the bible to scapegoat single mothers or vilify gay people. This guy also attacks the Bushes "with us or against us mentality" when it comes to Iraq. Most importantly he questions how the religious right can be both pro life on abortion and pro the death penalty. This is a must read
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen