Author Topic: ODYSSEY TRANSPORT and Dr. Phil?  (Read 19017 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ODYSSEY TRANSPORT and Dr. Phil?
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2006, 08:58:37 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Someone pointed out that existing laws already prohibit a lot of the abuse that goes on in these places, and that the laws are simply not enforced. I'm not sure that's really true. The courts' interpretation of the 14th amendment gives parents a lot of leeway in making educational and health care decisions for their minor children.

That's step one -- exposing these places on the issues of education and health care. If the education is sub-standard or non-existent, how can they call themselves "schools?" If there is no evidence of following established mental health care practices, including assessment of progress by state-regulated practitioners, then they are not "therapeutic" either. This will need to be done on a facility by facility basis.

Once a facility loses its facade of being either a school or a therapeutic center, it will be left with no label other than "privately owned detention facility." And THAT is something I doubt would withstand current interpretations of parental 14th amendment rights. In that event, any advocate, including the state, would have cause for removing a minor from unlawful incarceration without due process.

BTW, I think the educational angle is the more productive avenue of attack. Many public school districts subsidize all or part of the fees these places charge, as a result of a couple different laws (like IDEA) and the typical school district's inability to provide a suitable education alternative for children with these types of 'special needs.' If the teen gulag "school' looks too much like a residential treatment facility, the public school district will say it's a health care facility and the parents' health insurance must foot the bill (which they won't, because they aren't stupid and they know this isn't really 'health care').

So it's a fine balancing act between presenting a "therapeutic" face to the parents, while simultaneously presenting an "educational" face to the public school district.

If you can eliminate the public school systems (our tax dollars!) paying for kids to be incarcerated, and force the entire bill on the parents, at least the number of kids being sent away will be reduced, until such time as these private detention facilities can be shut down for unlawful incarceration.

the government is fully aware of the allegations pointed at these programs. their response is that it is a contractual agreement between two private entities,the parents and the program.so there are no existing laws. therefor there are no laws not being enforced.you are correct about that.you should do a little research and take a gander at the political ties to all this. it is unbelievable. i am not interested in bringing politics into it but a duck is a duck and a horse is a horse. i wont bring either party into it,but would rather let you do your own research.it would probably make more of an impression on you if you discovered it yourself. it will astound you.

as for the education issue, most of these programs have curriculum that is not even recognised by our public education system. for instance i thought that i had graduated high school only to find out when i went to enroll in college that my diploma was meaningless. not only did i have to go get my G.E.D. but all sense of accomplishment that i did have was completly erased. now there is a good note to start college on. that really helps a persons self-confidence. secondly most of the "teachers" if they are even certified have little or no experience in a classroom. some of these programs dont even educate you. the problem of the programs not educating you is not as existent today because of the heat brought on,but how do you educate some one who is in isolation for thirty days or sixty days or ninety days or one hundred twenty days?see my point? they say it doesnt happen but i promise you it does. most of them claim a 97% parent satisfaction rate and at the same time all of the children exiting these programs are "just liars" now how does that work. oops sorry i strayed a little there. as for school funding i am unaware of the public school system funding  any of these programs unless you are talking about government funded programs which  are also government regulated. in this case we are not discussing the same programs to begin with. my beef is with the parent funded programs which are regulated by no one except the power hungry dictator type fellow that runs it. this is where the politics comes into play and they say it is a contractual agreement. even though countless times abuse is cited by survivors of these programs they will do nothing. do your own research and you will see what i am talking about. it all has to do with politicians and their pockets. if you dig deep enough you will find the connection. i will give you a starting point and point you in the right direction and from there you must come to your own conclusion for as i said i am not trying to make a political issue out of this. i have plenty of other ways of fighting these programs without drawing politics into it  and losing validity of what i say from either party. research wwasps and their founders and their political ties and you will see what i am saying. it will blow your mind, if you have an open mind and accept the facts as they are presented. it will give you a small indication of what we who fight these programs are up against. i dont make it political, they do. and that my friend is just the beginning.

if you know of privately funded programs that are funded by public education please list them for me. they are easy targets.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2006, 09:02:49 AM »
Someone pointed out that existing laws already prohibit a lot of the abuse that goes on in these places, and that the laws are simply not enforced. I'm not sure that's really true. The courts' interpretation of the 14th amendment gives parents a lot of leeway in making educational and health care decisions for their minor children.

That's step one -- exposing these places on the issues of education and health care. If the education is sub-standard or non-existent, how can they call themselves "schools?" If there is no evidence of following established mental health care practices, including assessment of progress by state-regulated practitioners, then they are not "therapeutic" either. This will need to be done on a facility by facility basis.

Once a facility loses its facade of being either a school or a therapeutic center, it will be left with no label other than "privately owned detention facility." And THAT is something I doubt would withstand current interpretations of parental 14th amendment rights. In that event, any advocate, including the state, would have cause for removing a minor from unlawful incarceration without due process.

BTW, I think the educational angle is the more productive avenue of attack. Many public school districts subsidize all or part of the fees these places charge, as a result of a couple different laws (like IDEA) and the typical school district's inability to provide a suitable education alternative for children with these types of 'special needs.' If the teen gulag "school' looks too much like a residential treatment facility, the public school district will say it's a health care facility and the parents' health insurance must foot the bill (which they won't, because they aren't stupid and they know this isn't really 'health care').

So it's a fine balancing act between presenting a "therapeutic" face to the parents, while simultaneously presenting an "educational" face to the public school district.

If you can eliminate the public school systems (our tax dollars!) paying for kids to be incarcerated, and force the entire bill on the parents, at least the number of kids being sent away will be reduced, until such time as these private detention facilities can be shut down for unlawful incarceration.

the government is fully aware of the allegations pointed at these programs. their response is that it is a contractual agreement between two private entities,the parents and the program.so there are no existing laws. therefor there are no laws not being enforced.you are correct about that.you should do a little research and take a gander at the political ties to all this. it is unbelievable. i am not interested in bringing politics into it but a duck is a duck and a horse is a horse. i wont bring either party into it,but would rather let you do your own research.it would probably make more of an impression on you if you discovered it yourself. it will astound you.

as for the education issue, most of these programs have curriculum that is not even recognised by our public education system. for instance i thought that i had graduated high school only to find out when i went to enroll in college that my diploma was meaningless. not only did i have to go get my G.E.D. but all sense of accomplishment that i did have was completly erased. now there is a good note to start college on. that really helps a persons self-confidence. secondly most of the "teachers" if they are even certified have little or no experience in a classroom. some of these programs dont even educate you. the problem of the programs not educating you is not as existent today because of the heat brought on,but how do you educate some one who is in isolation for thirty days or sixty days or ninety days or one hundred twenty days?see my point? they say it doesnt happen but i promise you it does. most of them claim a 97% parent satisfaction rate and at the same time all of the children exiting these programs are "just liars" now how does that work. oops sorry i strayed a little there. as for school funding i am unaware of the public school system funding  any of these programs unless you are talking about government funded programs which  are also government regulated. in this case we are not discussing the same programs to begin with. my beef is with the parent funded programs which are regulated by no one except the power hungry dictator type fellow that runs it. this is where the politics comes into play and they say it is a contractual agreement. even though countless times abuse is cited by survivors of these programs they will do nothing. do your own research and you will see what i am talking about. it all has to do with politicians and their pockets. if you dig deep enough you will find the connection. i will give you a starting point and point you in the right direction and from there you must come to your own conclusion for as i said i am not trying to make a political issue out of this. i have plenty of other ways of fighting these programs without drawing politics into it  and losing validity of what i say from either party. research wwasps and their founders and their political ties and you will see what i am saying. it will blow your mind, if you have an open mind and accept the facts as they are presented. it will give you a small indication of what we who fight these programs are up against. i dont make it political, they do. and that my friend is just the beginning.

if you know of privately funded programs that are funded by public education please list them for me. they are easy targets.

oops i forgot to log in again this reply is mine sorry

Offline survivor122770

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

oops i forgot to log in again this reply is mine sorry[/quote)

ok now iam logged on sorry i just dont want anyone to think i am hiding
was tortured at bethel childrens home for 4 yrs 84-88 i was there when it was raided

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2006, 10:20:27 AM »
The majority of kids are placed in violation of the ICPC, a federal law.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... light=icpc
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... icpc#11227
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... icpc#49763

This law can't be enforced if the facility is listed as a private boarding school (private corporation); only if they are licensed correctly as a residential treatment/childcaring facility. And then it only requires that the child have an evaluation prior to placement showing it's necessary and that the services needed aren't available in the sending state. If this is determined, the sending state must gain permission from the receiving state prior to placement.

Programs advertise as "therapeutic" facilities, but claim to be boarding schools to avoid regulations. Which claim is fraudulent? Are they not therapeutic, or not boarding schools? Technically, they're neither, and more closely resemble a detention facility.

Some programs are paid with IEP funds from their school district.
Parents write-off trips to visit their "disabled" child, and insurance pays for all or part of the program. Based on what? As far as the state is concerned, they've been told the facility is a boarding school, therefore exempt. IRS and Insurance companies don't require proof that the facility is properly licensed as an RTC? If they are caring for "disabled" children and providing anything other than academics and normal extra cirricular activities 24/7/365, ICPC states that they are not exempt. Most state laws are worded the same or similar. I don't know if this is the case with all WWASPS programs, but it may be true of some of their more recent facilities attempting to look like 'schools'.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »

Very well put!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »

Family Foundation School-- Hancock NY....my school district footed a good portion of the bill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
http://buhbjn90.com
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
online+alaska+payday+loa
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2006, 04:46:43 PM »
That's really disgusting and perverted. ::puke::
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2006, 03:28:03 AM »
Extinction works with RETARDS...

A teenager (or really any person with adequate intelligence) wouldnt want to stay under the control of a program that treats them as if they're impaired, and would want to go home or escape.

The programs dont provide therapy, they torture them mentally and psychologically into obedience. This is known, and the programs admit that to anyone pushy enough to ask.

Its a "solution" for the parents, who are the "customers", not anything for the kids at all... so why are we even talking about this?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2006, 11:41:43 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
The problem with extinction comes with the behaviors demonstrated. You don't expect little junior to give up getting attention do you? Ignore him and you will get a rock up the side of your head. It isn't about patience at all. It is about the size of the groups, the sort of kids allowed into programs, and the emphasis on consquencing. Parents want their kids consquenced in the mistaken idea that consquencing equals therapy. If they really wanted therapy they never would have sent their kid to some dump that has untrained staff watching their kids and calling it therapy.

In the context of teen BM facilities and the problems you elaborated in your more recent post, I totally agree. But under other circumstances, a combination of positive reinforcement + extinction can humanely teach new behaviors that replace old behaviors -- in non-retarded humans just as in animals.

Many parents intuitively know or learn this when raising young children -- and it most definitely requires patience. A great example many of us have seen is a child throwing a fit in the checkout line at the grocery store because he wants a candy bar or whatever. A parent can (and should, IMHO) ignore the whining -- which doesn't mean ignore the child, it just means don't reward the undesired behavior. Later, when the incident has passed, offer the kid the opportunity to earn the candy bar next time if he gets through the store without throwing a fit. It may take a few more tantrum-throwing visits to the store, but eventually the kid will try it mom's way and see what happens. If the kid "behaves" in the store and is rewarded with a candy bar when they make it out to the parking lot, he will learn that this is the way to get what he wants, and not the behavior he was doing before, which wasn't getting him what he wanted.

You mentioned 'consequences', but in my example there are no consequences (aka punishments or 'negative reinforcement') -- there is only the absence of a reward until the desired behavior is demonstrated, and then the reward immediately follows.

I agree it would be very difficult if not impossible to implement 'soft' BM in a teen gulag, especially with kids that have real mental health problems and/or are prone to violence and especially with low staff to 'patient' ratios. That's why I made the distinction between the kind of BM (mostly punishment-based) that seems to be most popular in these facilities vs. the kind used to teach junior not to throw fits in the grocery store, or the kind used to teach Shamu to perform for the tourists.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
I still fail to see how any of this is relevant AT ALL to the 90% population group of most of the GM gulag warehouses.

They don't need it and nothing is wrong with them in the first place.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
What's wrong with them is they do not already conform to the inhumane structure of any given program and it's philosophy on what makes a normal teenager. According to almost every program, not one teenager out there cannot be changed for the better. They really believe every kid could benefit from a program, they say it all the time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Sort of like how AA says they feel sorry for the "normies".   That whole fucking stepcult thinking is just fucking creepy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »
Sort of like how AA says they feel sorry for the "normies".   That whole fucking stepcult thinking is just fucking creepy.

Never heard that one in any AA meeting before. Maybe you made a wrong turn and ended up at SA (Scientologists Anonymous).