Author Topic: forum rules 101  (Read 4133 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
Due to a couple posts I recently deleted I thought I would reiterate a couple things about the Seed discussion Forum.

The forum is loosely moderated, meaning Things can and will get deleted at my discretion.  What causes something to get deleted in this forum?

1)  Slanderous mean spirited comments.  They will not be tolerated and go against the purpose of this website, which is an open dialogue on what occured.

2)  Spam.  Nuff said, when I see it, I delete it.

3)  Flooding, which are posts designed to affect the usablity of the forum.  Usually someone will just make multiple nonsensical posts in order to hide or bump down topics.  These posts will be deleted.

4)  Direct personal attacks.   This is harder and more open to interpretation, but the paradagim I try to operate under is attack the idea, not the person.  Within this system, it is perfectly fine to say "That is a fucking stupid comment" but not okay to say "you are fucking stupid".  This isn't the Seed, and we don't "stand people up and come down on them".  Also, the loudest and meanest do not "win" on the SDF.  If you wish to make a point, bring an argument or be prepared to have it ripped to shreds.  Also, feel free to make an argument without fear of being personally ripped to shreds.  These are the goals here.

I hope this clears it up for new posters and readers that weren't clear on it.  No subject matter is taboo here, and various and opposing opinions are not only welcome, but encouraged.

Enjoy the forum, and tell your friends who were in the seed to give us a drop by.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »
Some of those seem like stupid fucking rules to me :D

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »
hehe.

Sorry, dems da breaks.

Offline TimeBomb

• View Profile
Re: forum rules 101
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
Quote from: ""GregFL""
Due to a couple posts I recently deleted I thought I would reiterate a couple things about the Seed discussion Forum.

The forum is loosely moderated, meaning Things can and will get deleted at my discretion.  What causes something to get deleted in this forum?

1)  Slanderous mean spirited comments.  They will not be tolerated and go against the purpose of this website, which is an open dialogue on what occured.

2)  Spam.  Nuff said, when I see it, I delete it.

3)  Flooding, which are posts designed to affect the usablity of the forum.  Usually someone will just make multiple nonsensical posts in order to hide or bump down topics.  These posts will be deleted.

4)  Direct personal attacks.   This is harder and more open to interpretation, but the paradagim I try to operate under is attack the idea, not the person.  Within this system, it is perfectly fine to say "That is a fucking stupid comment" but not okay to say "you are fucking stupid".  This isn't the Seed, and we don't "stand people up and come down on them".  Also, the loudest and meanest do not "win" on the SDF.  If you wish to make a point, bring an argument or be prepared to have it ripped to shreds.  Also, feel free to make an argument without fear of being personally ripped to shreds.  These are the goals here.

I hope this clears it up for new posters and readers that weren't clear on it.  No subject matter is taboo here, and various and opposing opinions are not only welcome, but encouraged.

Enjoy the forum, and tell your friends who were in the seed to give us a drop by.

Personally, I think these rules are pretty subjective, and it somewhat undermines my confidence in the moderator's likelyhood to preserve free speech. I think that anything beyond blatant comercial spam, death threats, and stalking, should be guarded and preserved, and the posters should be confident knowing that they can fully speak their minds. Otherwise, a person could very well be afraid to say what's on their mind for fear of it being deemed inappropriate. This has always been the spirit of Fornits forums from the beginning, and I think anything less than that shows a bit of erosion of the core principal it was founded on.
ick, tick.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
Well, sorry timbomb but you are wrong.  "fornits" has multiple forums, each with different moderators and goals.  This forum has ALWAYS deleted personal attacks and pointless slanderous accusations.  I have always been the moderator, and this was my decision from the first day this forum sprung to life.  I Did it for a reason.

The statement you made "personally I think these rules are subjective" is also a subjective statement. A forum with an absence of rules is also  a subjective idea, one that I don't share with you, at least here in this particular little piece of the internet.  You have in effect, criticised the rules of the forum for being subjective, by using a subjective statement.  Does that fly?   :lol:

More seriously, we  have a different audience than the straight survivors, one that is a tad bit older and a bit more diverse.  We have former staff members who actually get along with people who angrily squared toe to toe (me  :D ) with Art Barker.   We have people who think the seed saved their lives who correspond and meet with people who have protested and actively detest the entire mode of treatment.   Our goal here is to attract people that who, in an unmoderated forum, would be shouted down and chased off.  We think they have something to say that may be more valuable than someone else's childish attacks against them.  

I think I speak for most of the forum participants here when I say the Seed discussion forum has been a valuable learning tool for people on both sides of the issue.  How would that be possible if we chased off people who we didn't agree with by insulting and degrading them?  Sorry, not our style.

In a forum that seeks to encourage an open dialogue between diverse opinions on a topic that is and can be brutally oppositional, forum rules are appropriate.  At least this is what I think. Others disagree.  

If one does not think they can operate within these guidlines, there are plenty of unmoderated forums where they can go and call people names, cuss them out, and otherwise act like a 17 year old.  

here is your next comment.... "I think that anything beyond blatant comercial spam, death threats, and stalking, should be guarded and preserved, and the posters should be confident knowing that they can fully speak their minds."

Again, these are subjective ideas as well, and they are your opinion, which is also subjective.  Since this forum is run by me, and I have given it much forethought, what really counts is my subjective opinion.  I don't see any reason to "guard and preserve" a comment, like a recent one I deleted, that claimed that someone who was involved in the creation of the Seed did so so he could have sex with little boys.    This was obviously just bullshit and posted to incite.  On what theory should this type of thing be "preserved".  For what purpose, and for whose benefit?  Again, if people want to play in the sandbox, there are forums that will allow this type of behavior.  I also deleted a post that threatened to now include us in the spamathon that has occured on other forums. Frankly, I don't wish to wade thru polluted water so I can go fishing upstream in clear water.

Timebomb, participate here if you have something to offer.  We welcome you with open arms. However,  don't confuse the SDF with other forums sharing this bandwith.  We have created  a little slice of the internet where we hope people will feel safe when they post their opinion.  However, we do not protect that opinion from opposition, just the person who posted it.  The opinion is free game, and if you look a bit around this forum, you will find that this is indeed a forum where diversity abounds and arguments flourish.

We play a little different here, and it is our ball, and our bat.

Offline TimeBomb

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 05:02:01 PM »
Well I did use the phrases "Personally...", "I think... " "My confidence...", etc. Those are my opinions. Just all sounds a little iffy to me. But, you're the mod.
ick, tick.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »
Hey Timebomb:  

Don't blame the players, blame the game   ::bangin::  :tup:  ::unhappy::

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Re: forum rules 101
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 02:00:10 AM »
Quote from: ""TimeBomb""
Personally, I think these rules are pretty subjective, and it somewhat undermines my confidence in the moderator's likelyhood to preserve free speech. I think that anything beyond blatant comercial spam, death threats, and stalking, should be guarded and preserved, and the posters should be confident knowing that they can fully speak their minds. Otherwise, a person could very well be afraid to say what's on their mind for fear of it being deemed inappropriate. This has always been the spirit of Fornits forums from the beginning, and I think anything less than that shows a bit of erosion of the core principal it was founded on.

I generally agree. But that's what moderators are suppose to do -- moderate.

Me, I'm just a bit monkey.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »
Were all just monkeys....former zoo monkeys that now wanna talk about it.

:D

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
why did u delete all the posts about homos?  Persoanlly, in the SEED, I was sujbected to more than a few homosexual expereinces from oldcomers.  I feel the need to try and "share" and u tear me down with the delete button.   :(

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »
'cause you a a perv dude. You want to be a perv go to a perv site!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
why did u delete all the posts about homos?  Persoanlly, in the SEED, I was sujbected to more than a few homosexual expereinces from oldcomers.  I feel the need to try and "share" and u tear me down with the delete button.   :(

This is a wonderfull example of what I am talking about.  First, no one has deleted "all posts about homos" (dismissing the inflammatory remark).  Second, this person was never in the seed and just trolling the website.

This would definitely be a candidate for the shitcan. Now, if someone logged on and told a story about something that really happened in the seed, that would be respected.  but this is simply trolling.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 07:41:56 PM »
::both::  :exclaim:  8)  :flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
Quote from: ""GregFL""
Quote from: ""Guest""

This is a wonderfull example of what I am talking about.  First, no one has deleted "all posts about homos" (dismissing the inflammatory remark).  Second, this person was never in the seed and just trolling the website.

This would definitely be a candidate for the shitcan. Now, if someone logged on and told a story about something that really happened in the seed, that would be respected.  but this is simply trolling.

fair enough.  I'll cool it with the homo posts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
forum rules 101
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
Greg may I offer you a bananna?  You are a chimp off the ole block :D