Author Topic: I used to hate people. but now...  (Read 12925 times)

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
I used to hate people. but now...
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:20 AM »
It will revolve around me, before it revolves around a person that refuses to take responsiblity for their words.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2006, 01:36:20 PM »
Hey, you'd make a great program counselor. Does it bother you that much that I dont sign my posts with some stupid moniker? A lot of control freaks around these boards today...

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 10:45:09 PM »
If a doctors fear of a child having brain damage is reason enough to not use doctors services, fine!  Thats your choice.

If you do not respect the doctors' fear of lawsuits, fine, then stay away!

But FYI, fear of lawsuit is going to effect the care you get everywhere, from the doctors office to the ER to the ICU.  Thats not our fault.

Go ahead and "birth the way nature intended".  Thats your choice, I can only make that choice for me.   But be prepared to accept the mortality rate that nature intended, as well.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2006, 11:53:25 PM »
That's the point Megan. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything to substantiate a high mortality rate for home/natural births and you provided nothing but an opinion.
Sorry you're taking this personally, but the argument you've presented so far sounds a whole lot like, "at risk, get your kid in a program else they'll end up deadinsaneorinjail."
It is discouraging that pregnant women are seen as being at risk and needing medical intervention when this is rarely the case. Nature doesn't make mistakes. Women can push their babies out and they're the healthier for it. More may choose to do so if they had support. Hard to do after that first seed of doubt has been planted.
I applaud the heroic efforts of doctors (and nurse midwives) when there are legitimate complications that aren't caused by unnecessary intervention during labor. That's all.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2006, 02:25:10 AM »
Let all women push babies out themselves... you'll see who's "healthier".
egan Flynn
RN

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »
Sure we could manage.  Do whatever you like... you want to skip out on vaccines and live without ibuprofen and risk having your newborn's head stuck in your pelvis and baby suffering brain damage... well, thats your choice.  

Fine if you want to do things "as nature intended".  Just be prepared to deal with the consequences.  

Personally, I'm not interested in enduring an excruciatingly painful 20 hour labor.  Fuck that.  I want pain meds.   Lots of them.   And interventions.  And a proper obstetrician.   And a healthy baby.
egan Flynn
RN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »
"What nature intended" personifies nature into a deity.

Just want to clarify that we're talking about people's religious beliefs when we get into that "intended" stuff.

In religion, always, one woman's loopy is another woman's blasphemy is another woman's sacrament.

Everybody has core beliefs, and just about everybody feels very strongly about them.

The price of freedom is letting other people do things you don't like.

That's the price for all of us.

A woman's right to choose in such personal and private matters as the details of her labor and child birth touches on the most fundamental freedoms there are.

Obviously, if the specific birth is going badly, so that the woman's private choices start putting a full term baby in imminent danger of serious harm, society has to intervene on that baby's behalf.

However, that rarely happens.

I approve of state laws that require a caregiver attending a birth to be trained to recognize those complications, and responsible for calling for help in the births where they happen.

Other than that, ain't nobody's business but hers.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2006, 03:43:18 PM »
Bandit---I know you were not advocating choosing for others---that you were advocating the opposite.

My point was this isn't a discussion about facts.  It's a religious discussion obscured by floating of facts people use when they talk about their religions to others.

Just this week I had my husband's grandfather talk to me about biblical prophecy concerning the destruction of Damascus and how biblical prophecy always came true, etc.  I'm sure you've heard it.

There's no point discussing facts in religious arguments.  The real issues are never facts, they're base premises about the nature of the universe and what we, as individuals, ought to do about it.

If one's base premise is that "nature" is distinct from "man" or "man-made" and that "nature" is better, then viewing the world through those lenses is going to color everything you see.

If one's base premise is that man is a terrestrial organism just like any other, that humans should value human life above that of other organisms, and that our development and use of technology is overall a good thing for solving our problems, viewing the world through those lenses is going to color everything you see.

Many, if not most, people have some sort of ambivalent half-stance between those two premises.

In a religious argument, facts are window dressing used to either try to gain converts to one's religion or out of some personal need to justify one's religious beliefs to others.

People don't pick their religion based on the facts, people pick their facts based on their religion.

This is the kind of discussion that can go on forever and get nowhere.

Julie

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »
***"What nature intended" personifies nature into a deity.
Just want to clarify that we're talking about people's religious beliefs when we get into that "intended" stuff.***

Hadn?t thought of it that way. ?Naturally? is more accurate.

Many states require a Midwife to be a nurse and pass an exam. Mine was an RN.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2006, 01:46:10 AM »
Julie, you are right, this is about religion and peoples interpretation of "mother nature" and "god" and "science" and all that.

And I'm not willing to take the risks with my (hypothetical) babies that nature provides "naturally".