Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Long Term Study

(1/6) > >>

Anonymous:
I am interested in starting a long term study on the kids who go to TBS which looks @ their attitudes to the experience as well as their mental health & whether (where appropriate) or not they went back to having drug or criminal issues. i am surprised given the level of controversy over this issue and the level of angst many graduates express that one has not been comissioned before.

Do we have any psycholigist or interested parties who could help? Also does anyone know of how to reach many of the kids who have recently graduated. Obviously some post here but I am looking @ a wider group. Many for instance feel one way about their experiences @ first but eventually change their mind.

Troll Control:

--- Quote ---i am surprised given the level of controversy over this issue and the level of angst many graduates express that one has not been comissioned before.

--- End quote ---

Programs haven't been exposed to scientific scrutiny for the simple reason that they refuse access for the purpose of clinical trials.  You see, they have plenty of anecdotal evidence that shows that they don't work and many studies show the same, but to allow a study of their particular program would be tantamount to direct proof that they don't help anyone.  They won't allow studies to be conducted.

I personally contacted ASR (Academt at Swift River, an Aspen Education Group facility) to inquire about performing a clinical trial and I was told "we don't allow that."

Good luck.

Deborah:

--- Quote ---On 2006-06-08 06:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am interested in starting a long term study on the kids who go to TBS which looks @ their attitudes to the experience as well as their mental health & whether (where appropriate) or not they went back to having drug or criminal issues. i am surprised given the level of controversy over this issue and the level of angst many graduates express that one has not been comissioned before.

Do we have any psycholigist or interested parties who could help? Also does anyone know of how to reach many of the kids who have recently graduated. Obviously some post here but I am looking @ a wider group. Many for instance feel one way about their experiences @ first but eventually change their mind.

"

--- End quote ---

You can find many survivors on MySpace. For instance, one of HLA forums just hit 200 members. I would encourage you to contact the list owner rather than post directly to the membership. They don't take to kindly to that, and are justifiably skeptical of people's intentions.

If you are serious about this you might put up a website with a questionaire that survivors can fill out. Not sure how you would confirm they actually attended any given program, but I'm sure that could be figured out.

There was a person doing such a study a few years ago, in conjunction with a University, if memory serves, but I don't know what became of it. The questionaire (which I still have) was too lengthy, and some important questions weren't asked, imo.

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2006-06-08 11:46:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"
--- Quote ---
i am surprised given the level of controversy over this issue and the level of angst many graduates express that one has not been comissioned before.

--- End quote ---

Programs haven't been exposed to scientific scrutiny for the simple reason that they refuse access for the purpose of clinical trials.  You see, they have plenty of anecdotal evidence that shows that they don't work and many studies show the same, but to allow a study of their particular program would be tantamount to direct proof that they don't help anyone.  They won't allow studies to be conducted.

I personally contacted ASR (Academt at Swift River, an Aspen Education Group facility) to inquire about performing a clinical trial and I was told "we don't allow that."

Good luck.
"

--- End quote ---

You know full well that the bit about "to allow a study of their particular program would be tantamount to direct proof that they don't help anyone.  They won't allow studies to be conducted." is NOT TRUE.  There are several studies that do show individual program effectiveness, including studies conducted by third-parties.  But you don't accept them because you claim they are biased.  The real problem is that they don't support your world view.

Anonymous:
The programs are great. :tup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version