Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Help Me Please!!

<< < (2/9) > >>

Anonymous:
Just sharing our "real life" experience with Second Nature Wilderness Program.  It worked for our son and many, many others.  Most pro-wilderness families don't come around these parts.  There are terrible boot camp type wilderness programs but SNWP is not one of them.  I urge you to give them a call.  It is the only wilderness program I would recommend.  You won't hear this often on this site but it can be just as dangerous to do nothing.  Since you've been seeing what I'm sure is a reputable psychiatrist, I can only assume that you've tried everything the previous poster listed above.  Sometimes you run out of options- we did.  Use this site to rule out the worst of the worst and keep in mind that there are good places out there.

Troll Control:

--- Quote ---You won't hear this often on this site but it can be just as dangerous to do nothing. Since you've been seeing what I'm sure is a reputable psychiatrist...

--- End quote ---

I don't think anybody here is advocating "do nothing."  That's a mischaracterization designed to erode credibility of some people here.  Don't set up strawmen to knock down - that's not a fair or accurate assessment of what people are saying here.

I question your statement that a particular psychiatrist is "reputable" based on absolutely no evidence.  This is the same type of judgemental, factually bereft reasoning that fills teen warehouses to capacity.  I take issue with that line of thinking.

The fact of the matter is that there are disreputable psychiatrists, just like there are disreputable mechanics, lawyers and business managers.  

I have heard parents report that their psychiatrist recommended "wilderness" because they had received a brochure in the mail and "it looked nice."  There are also psychiatrists who try to medicate every issue.  Both of these sceanarios illustrate poor judgement and certainly psychiatrists aren't immune to it.

Get out of your feelings and into your head.  Use your brain.  Research, compare, ask questions and make an informed decision.

Anonymous:
I agree with Dysfunction Junction. What is this boy's diagnosis by this psychiatrist? Why does this psychiatrist feel unable to treat this boy himself/herself? Why must this young 12 year old be sent away from home to be treated?
His "start in life" should begin at home, around people who love and care for him.
Is he a danger to himself or others?
I'd ask this psychiatrist to show be medical studies that PROVE wilderness programs and long-term facilities actually WORK for whatever this boy's diagnosis is. This psychiatrist will not be able to provide any such studies.

Anonymous:
I'm assuming he/she knows the boy and the family circumstances better than we do.

Anonymous:
On 2006-06-06 11:11:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"
--- Quote ---I have heard parents report that their psychiatrist recommended "wilderness" because they had received a brochure in the mail and "it looked nice."  
--- End quote ---

Post the link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version