Author Topic: Tell Me Some Good News.........  (Read 14286 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Tell Me Some Good News.........
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2006, 04:41:26 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
My girls have kind of been exposed to Straight once removed.  My father and my ex's parents were relentless with using Straight and the court system, 3 times successfully to take the kids away(using a Straight board member as their atty.) ....and if they couldn't to harass us if we weren't living by Straights expectations.   The kids obviously picked up on so much of the fucking paranoid and angry atmosphere.  I felt like my only defense against it both for myself and them was to be pretty open about everything. I really didn't have a choice I guess with what the grandparents were doing with all the fucking psychologist visits, HRS inspections and and hoops to jump through.  But I tried to find  and maintain as much as possible some feeling of balance.  It was hard.  My entire family and support system were fucking Straight people and my perception of reality and theirs were skewed to say the least.  They've ended up living under somewhat of a microscope for a lot of their lives and it sucked but I think, at least partly, because my husband and I tried to be grounded and realistic with them to counter the insanity that they've come through it all pretty well.  They've gone through their periods where they've scared the fucking. shit out of me and made some of the most completely fucking boneheaded decisions but it looks like they're doing what most people do......growing out of it.  Goddamn, it took my oldest 6 years of dating an asshole and consequently hangin out with other assholes that she cut herself off from all but that isolated little world which was a lot of the time pretty fucking out of control in all the ways that make parents sit bolt upright in a cold sweat.  I'm getting way off here but it just feels good to see them growing up and merging into adult life the way you're supposed to.  With support and confidence to go after the life they want..  Warts and all. I don't give a shit what they end up doing with they're lives as long as they're happy, idoing what they  want and on their terms and I've had to fight so hard against all the naysayers and doomsdayers to try and instill that in them.   I think what I've ended up with due mostly to the fact that they're just fucking awesome people, is some pretty confident, open and happy kids on the brink of their lives.  What a concept, huh?

you sound like a pretty amazing Mom :exclaim:

I know her, she really is an amazing mom.  She doubts it herself half the time, but her kids are really great kids with good heads on their shoulders, they'll do pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2006, 10:49:19 PM »
you sound like a pretty amazing Mom :exclaim:

Thanks.  Myself and a few others would beg to differ.  Not that I think I was horrible, but they went through a lot that they shouldn't have had to, some my fault some my ex's and a lot the grandparents.  I did the best I could.  I just wish I was armed then with a lot of the knowledge and perspective that I have now.  I wouldn't have taken as much shit as I did.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2006, 10:51:33 PM »
I know her, she really is an amazing mom.  She doubts it herself half the time, but her kids are really great kids with good heads on their shoulders, they'll do pretty well.

::kiss::  :smokin:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa