Author Topic: Bethesda Home for Girls  (Read 43704 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Bethesda Home for Girls
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »
That's sad a girl died just because she wanted her freedom, I don't agree its anyone's fault other than the people that abused her and drove her to the act of running. Shame on me?? I think not SHAME on the people who held us against our well, SHAME on the people who treated us less than human, SHAME on you for condoning there action.

I do thank God every day for his mercies and grace and love and for my life he has given me, for my wonderful family he has blessed me with.
The nation DOES NOT need any more home like Bethesda , homes like Bethesda is what made kids evil and rebellious and wicked ( your words).
And no I don't hate you,and would never made fun of you. I feel sorry for you that you are still brained washed by the cult you were in,and they still have that evil hold on you.
Now you go whine and complain (again your words) about me. Have a wonderful day

Bethesda Survivor.
Cheryl Davis
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
hello...
Im a teen from petal. Last summer some friends told us about this haunted house so we went a few times. Eventually after telling a few of our parents about it one told us it use to be a girls home. We've heard so many horrible stories about it and we havent went since then. Its so scary looking. Today we were talking about it and we googled it. Im SO SORRY to hear about yalls horrible stories!

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
Dear Asmith

The most scariest part must be that such places continue to exist around the country even today.

Watch out for your friends. Keep a track of them and if they suddenly disappear from the school investigate. Last year a ranch was raided, shackles to keep the boys from running were found. The boys home was closed but the girls home located a couple of miles away which are using shackles also were allowed to continue their work.

Offline MickyH

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
Hi Everyone. I was also sent off to Bethesda. I was sent there for running away from home with my sister. I was there during 1979-1980. I had to go look in that Bible they give you.. From Uncle Bert and Aunt Dot..Right... Like they were so close to us as to be called Aunt and Uncle.. I remember one girl that was sent to the home who tried to run away and they handcuffed her and made her sleep on the floor in the hallways laying on the handcuffs. I remember the beatings if you were bad, and the two cookies if you were good. I still have issues with religion thanks to this place. I don't remember anyones names.. I think i tried to block it out. My name is Micky Ditto. I was definitely there for Christmas of 79. My step mom and Dad sent stuffed animals to everone and i remember being surprised we got to keep them..I only learned years later that it closed down, but i was soooooo glad. That place was a nightmare..

Offline nomadicdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:01 PM »
My mother was at Bethesda in 1979. I was born 05/21/1979.  I am looking for anyone who might have known a girl that was at Bethesda Pregnant from 01/1979 - 06/1979.

my email:
[email protected]

Offline HerNewDad

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »
Hi my name is Leda Rush,I was at Bethesda in 1981-1984. . . . Does anyone remember the little girl that was there,she was 8 or 9 when her parents dropped her off.
Yes. April Ford. My wife and I adopted April in 1985. She was a joy! We lost our only son in 1976 and April filled a huge void in our lives. She is now 35, married to a wonderful guy, career Air Force, and has three boys of her own. Our grandsons are very precious to us. I am a Baptist pastor but I had no idea this type of stuff was going on! Had I known I would probably be in jail now! Nobody, but nobody, treats my kids that way and gets away with it!

I am glad so many of you have found one another on forums such as this, and that you are putting your horrible experiences behind you. I just wanted you to know there are a few (very few) good things to have come from Bethesda. Without the home, and the Gibsons, we would not have known about April, and would not have a wonderful daughter, a great son-in-law, and three terrific grandsons (one of which, the youngest, is trying to climb into my lap as I type this). :D

God bless you all.

Offline smilinggypsyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
April's new dad,
Thanks for sharing this. You have no idea how much those of us who knew April worried for her.Even all these years later, when I found her ( I correspond with her some) I was given some  peace. I just wanted her to be safe , happy  and loved and I know she has all those things. Thanks you for taking her in for us and giving her those things. She has always been a special person. Some good things happened in spite of that place. April gaining a home was one of them.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
Quote from: "[email protected]"
I am looking for any girls that were at Bethesda From the time of 1981-1984.I was there in 81 when Morris Dees came in & if u signed that paper u had to go home And they also gave everyone else the choice to stay or go.

Wow.  Didn't know he got involved in this.  Interesting.

But then in July 1982my parents thought this was the place to send me again so off I went for one whole horrible year7-82/783.I gave birth to a son March 21,1983,I was never allowed to even see him they took him so fast.I didn't even get to hear him cry.

Now I wanna cry.

I'm sorry to say this but they really didn't treat the pregnant girls right.I don't think they treated anyone right.Maybe their favorites.U know if the home helped anyone that's great.I just saw to much while I was there.I was there for the riot.Can't say I wish it didn't happen but I got to go home after it did.I just have such horrible thoughts about this place,it haunts me to this day & I'm 41 now.Please if anyone remembers me my email is [email protected] would love to hear good & bad stories from anyone

:(
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline marjie driver

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
Dear April's Dad,

I am so glad you were able to reply when you did.  You didn't know it but you replied exactly 2 days before the Bethesda Home For Girls Survivors 2nd annual reunion.  We were all so very excited to hear the great news that she was adopted by a LOVING family.  Many of us were so very upset to see such a young girl brought to the home only to have her yanked out one day without a word of what was going to happen to her.  So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting us know after all these years that she was loved, happy and healthy.   :seg:

On another note, the future of the old Bethesda building is uncertain.  We learned this year that it may be sold again.  There are still boards there where girls from the later days (1983 - 1986) wrote on them.  We tried to take as many pictures of the sayings, art work, etc. as we could.  The probability of those things that were left behind being destroyed makes me sad because the messages were so poignant and personal and were basically a "proof of life" for many of us.  For myself I am finished going back to the old building (unless someone really needs a shoulder to lean on for their own visit).  I have healed a lot by going back the 2 times I have been there.  I have discovered some memories I had repressed, and don't need to dig up any others.  I figure if I blocked them out, it was my brain's way of keeping me healthy, so leave it be.  

We have a group on Face Book where many girls have gathered.  We have pictures (old and new) of many of us.  I am still searching for many who I was close to:  Katrina Rankin, Michelle Boudreax, Patricia Perry, Tammy Burgess, Regina, Mary (from Florida), Lena Zwick, Nancy Boleware, and many many others.  I hold onto the fact that "the internet is forever" as the hackers say and that one day they will look for us and we will be reunited.

Keeping the faith,
Marjorie

Offline ytmex

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »
I was a baby that Lester Roloff sold for $500.  My birth mother was in Rebekka House in 1970 in Georgia. I have learned so much about the man who so many call a "man of God." If he was a man of God, please don't count me in.  

I have searched long and hard for this information. I know that Lester made the parents he sold these babies to promise that they would NEVER tell their ill-gotten children from him (my parents KNEW what they were doing was illegal, but the did not care at the time.  How many other parents who "adopted" know what they did was illegal?).  In fact, if Lester had not been killed in a plane crash my adopted mother would have never told me about him.

I am seeking for a support group... Lester did not only hurt young pregnant girls he hurt their babies...

[email protected]

Offline bridgetbread

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »
My mother went to Bethesda from Aug. 20th 1974 - Nov. 11th 1976 when she escaped with another girl while on tour singing. she went by "Miss Candy Bell" she was a cook and a teacher. She had a baby boy on Feb. 27th 1975. At the time she was there the school was run by Hubert and Dorothy Barnwell.

Offline kayebiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
Quote from: "HerNewDad"
Hi my name is Leda Rush,I was at Bethesda in 1981-1984. . . . Does anyone remember the little girl that was there,she was 8 or 9 when her parents dropped her off.
Yes. April Ford. My wife and I adopted April in 1985. She was a joy! We lost our only son in 1976 and April filled a huge void in our lives. She is now 35, married to a wonderful guy, career Air Force, and has three boys of her own. Our grandsons are very precious to us. I am a Baptist pastor but I had no idea this type of stuff was going on! Had I known I would probably be in jail now! Nobody, but nobody, treats my kids that way and gets away with it!

I am glad so many of you have found one another on forums such as this, and that you are putting your horrible experiences behind you. I just wanted you to know there are a few (very few) good things to have come from Bethesda. Without the home, and the Gibsons, we would not have known about April, and would not have a wonderful daughter, a great son-in-law, and three terrific grandsons (one of which, the youngest, is trying to climb into my lap as I type this). :D

God bless you all.
My name is Kaye (Biggs) Elliott, April slept in the bunk below me from 1982-83. She was treated rough, she was honery, guess i saw alot of me in her. I never asked her why she was there, I wasn't even sure why I was there. I asked for that bunk, I protected her the best I could. When I left,i agonized over her for years. I actually had forgotten Bethesda. I woke up the other morning getting ready for work I kept thinking bout her. I've spent 3 days looking for info on Bethesda. I'm relieved of a burden for the fist time in 27 years. She deserved love more than any of us.Kaye

Offline kayebiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »
Quote from: "marjie driver"
Dear April's Dad,

I am so glad you were able to reply when you did.  You didn't know it but you replied exactly 2 days before the Bethesda Home For Girls Survivors 2nd annual reunion.  We were all so very excited to hear the great news that she was adopted by a LOVING family.  Many of us were so very upset to see such a young girl brought to the home only to have her yanked out one day without a word of what was going to happen to her.  So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting us know after all these years that she was loved, happy and healthy.   :seg:

On another note, the future of the old Bethesda building is uncertain.  We learned this year that it may be sold again.  There are still boards there where girls from the later days (1983 - 1986) wrote on them.  We tried to take as many pictures of the sayings, art work, etc. as we could.  The probability of those things that were left behind being destroyed makes me sad because the messages were so poignant and personal and were basically a "proof of life" for many of us.  For myself I am finished going back to the old building (unless someone really needs a shoulder to lean on for their own visit).  I have healed a lot by going back the 2 times I have been there.  I have discovered some memories I had repressed, and don't need to dig up any others.  I figure if I blocked them out, it was my brain's way of keeping me healthy, so leave it be.  

We have a group on Face Book where many girls have gathered.  We have pictures (old and new) of many of us.  I am still searching for many who I was close to:  Katrina Rankin, Michelle Boudreax, Patricia Perry, Tammy Burgess, Regina, Mary (from Florida), Lena Zwick, Nancy Boleware, and many many others.  I hold onto the fact that "the internet is forever" as the hackers say and that one day they will look for us and we will be reunited.

Keeping the faith,
Marjorie
Kaye (biggs) Elliott 1982-83 I can remember April. I remember using hair brushes to sweep the carpet on my knees. I remember being so hungry I ate frozen food from the freezer. Sandwiches at lunch, yogurt or peaches and cottage cheese for supper every single night. I burned all the pics when Bethesda popped up on Oprah one time. The rest is gone. Its like someone cut out a part of my brain. Tammy Burgess, Angela Harding, April Ford... They were all in my room. Leda was leaving when I came in March 1982 then came back a week before I left in March 1983. My papaw made them come get me. They adopted me then my mom thought i was on drugs so she dumped me at Bethesda... I was just running from a relative who liked me "too much".   They took me back home and he had a key to the house, they didnt believe me,they gave him a KEY!!!!!!!!!! I was 16...16. Still a virgin never having tried drugs. Ran away at 16 never been back.Im a successful 43y/o nurse. Married 18yrs, 3 grown kiddos, 7 grandkids.

Offline kayebiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "[email protected]"
I am looking for any girls that were at Bethesda From the time of 1981-1984.I was there in 81 when Morris Dees came in & if u signed that paper u had to go home And they also gave everyone else the choice to stay or go.

Wow.  Didn't know he got involved in this.  Interesting.

But then in July 1982my parents thought this was the place to send me again so off I went for one whole horrible year7-82/783.I gave birth to a son March 21,1983,I was never allowed to even see him they took him so fast.I didn't even get to hear him cry.

Now I wanna cry.

I'm sorry to say this but they really didn't treat the pregnant girls right.I don't think they treated anyone right.Maybe their favorites.U know if the home helped anyone that's great.I just saw to much while I was there.I was there for the riot.Can't say I wish it didn't happen but I got to go home after it did.I just have such horrible thoughts about this place,it haunts me to this day & I'm 41 now.Please if anyone remembers me my email is [email protected] would love to hear good & bad stories from anyone
I was there I dont remember much till I got on this site. The memories having been coming back slow the last week in dreams, its been 27yrs. Why now.? Kaye Biggs Elliott
 :(

Offline mountainparkalumni97

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
I'm a former student of Mountain Park Academy, the Wills spawn after they ran off from Mississippi to Missouri in the late 80's. Although Mountain Park was no walk in the park, y'all had it so much worse. At least by the time I got to MP, they were mostly out of the baby business by then. we even had Bethesda alumni working there, Robert and Christi O'Briant. What they did to y'all taking your babies was criminal. 15 years after I went to MP I have mixed feelings and weird dreams about it. I must say, our Facebook group has been extremely therapuetic. For those of you still looking for your children, Betty Wills is on Facebook under Betty Graves Wills. I doubt she would respond to any of the survivors, but it's worth a try. I will keep y'all in my prayers as I do my Mountain Park sisters.