Author Topic: Bethesda Home for Girls  (Read 43763 times)

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Re: Bethesda Home for Girls
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »
Need to know how to contact you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »
Hey Missy , this is Cheryl Blackwell was Davis, and I came there in 76, please feel free to e-mail me. [email protected][/quote]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »
Sorry mis wrote mt email , [email protected]

Quote from: "Charlotte"
Quote from: "missybryan"
hi   , my name was missy mcelheney when i was in bethesda home for girls. i was there for a year, 5months, and 4 days. i went in june of 1975 and released in november of 1976. i dont know what mademe google bethesda tonight but im so glad i did. i had no idea anything would come up. im 49 years old now and my experiences there still haunt me.  the barnwells were there when i was there. i guess ive always thought of 'uncle bart' as ok, but 'aunt dot' will always remain as one of the most evil women ever born to me.after seeing this site im literally shaking right now.even after 32 years. my husband, kids, some family know a little about my time there, but noone can truely know who wasnt there.i would love to talk to anyone who was there and sincerely hope you dealt with it better than i have. thanks, missy bryan
Missy please contact me .I was there too.Thanks Charlotte.My email is    [email protected]
[/quote]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »
Karen (Coggins) Stroble here, I was at Bethesda from Nov 1977 to April 1978. I see some of the girls from the yahoo group as well as the girls from facebook have already posted. My email is [email protected]. I'd love to hear from anyone who was there the same time I was, but would enjoy contact with anyone who lived through that terrible place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
I am an adoptee. i am looking for any info on bethesda. I was born sept 7, 1975. Baby girl weighing 5lbs 12oz. I'm trying to find my birth mother. the only info I have is that she was 15. my email is [email protected]
thx, shelly

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »
I know of someone who might be able to help you.  I've sent an E-mail to the address you provided.  Good luck!
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Quote from: "LisaGarza70"
Hi My name is Lisa Garza I was 12yrs when at Bethesda in Mississippi 1981 Maybe 82. Dk brown hair short 5'1 Hispanic. from Montana. Does anyone remember the riot? It was crazy. Left side inner bedrooms where destroyed even toilets pulled up walls punched in, and writing all over the walls. I remember one wall was knocked down or through. My email [email protected]

Hi it is Marjie, are you referring to the riot of 84 that happened during a choir tour?  If so I was falsely accused of helping plan the riot and you and Kimball Parker and Betsy and a few others came to my aide and stood up for me.  I still got put on new girl status even though they were told by the organizers that I had nothing to do with it.  It didn't matter at that point.  One of the workers, Christine, didn't like me and had a campaigned tirelessly for Mrs. Wills to stop trusting me.  She never did like me from the time I was put into Bethesda.  She allowed me to be in bell choir and choir, but she did everything she could to be sure I never got a leg up while I was there.  She was even part of the reason I was kicked off my role as Lead Kitchen Cook/Staff.  Ah well, not everyone is gonna like you in this world.  Maybe she let her hair down more after her wedding to Bobby...  ;)

I hope this is the same Lisa who was my friend.  She had ezema or soriasis, can't remember which?  My Lisa was tall, hispanic, and beautiful.  I don't remember her last name though so I am not certain it is you.  If so, I have pictures of us together in the front hall of the new campus and think of you often.

I was at Bethesda from December 1982 - September 1984.  

I started out my stay there in the old campus with 10+ girls to a room and a huge and horrid shower room.  It never had enough hot water, we would stand in line with nothing but a towel around us all waiting to take a cold shower and would place a wash cloth on the floor so you wouldn't get athlete's foot on your arse while you shaved your legs with an old razor.  Then later the bliss of only 3-4 girls to a room with an adjoining bathroom you shared with only one other room of 3-4 girls.... LOL.  At least we had private 10 minute showers and the hope of getting a hot shower if you were one of the first 2 girls in.

If this is you or if anyone else out there was at Bethesda, you can find me and lots of other girls from there on Face Book's Group :  Bethesda Home for Girls.

PS.  I also remember and have not been able to locate, Regina (Reggie), Michelle Boudreax, Nina (who I think was part Indian), Betsy (who I think was from Dallas Tx and who's sister came to join her in 1984), Kimball Parker, Colleen Sherman, Donna Jean Chitty and a few more.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 11:57:48 PM »

Hi Nancy The Young lady you are referring to was Connie Munson, She was the young lady that was killed when she tried to run from Bethesda. I too was there at the time.
B.J. Miller
Columbus, Ohio

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »
I was at Bethesda 1977-78, my name was Karen Coggins then. I would love to hear from anyone that was there and shared the experience. Contact me through email at [email protected].

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Hi, I am looking for anyone who was at the Bethesda Home for girls during 1977 to 1880.  I spent 2 years there, not by choice.  I was there the first time when Beth, the girl who was hit by the train and had her leg cut off, was there.  I was sent there at 15 and left right before my 18th birthday.  I knew the Barnwells very well during those 2 years.  I would be interested to hear anyone who was there at that time.  I reccently found a copy of the "Family Altar" book on the homes for May of 1978 from my parents basement.  There is a photo in there of the 5 girls that were in charge of all of us at that time.  I am 44 years old now and am just now cruising the web to see if anyone else experienced what I did.  We SOOOOO weren't aloud to talk to one another about how we really felt inside.
Thanks
Hey,My name is Leda.I was In the home in 1980-1984(on & off).I gave birth to a son the second time I was there July82-July83)U had to have been there when I was there.I have been looking for anyone that was there when I was .There are things that happened there That I just can't get over.I've been trying to find my son for years,no luck

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
Quote from: "Marjie (Driver) Sparrow"
Quote from: "LisaGarza70"
Hi My name is Lisa Garza I was 12yrs when at Bethesda in Mississippi 1981 Maybe 82. Dk brown hair short 5'1 Hispanic. from Montana. Does anyone remember the riot? It was crazy. Left side inner bedrooms where destroyed even toilets pulled up walls punched in, and writing all over the walls. I remember one wall was knocked down or through. My email [email protected]

Hi it is Marjie, are you referring to the riot of 84 that happened during a choir tour?  If so I was falsely accused of helping plan the riot and you and Kimball Parker and Betsy and a few others came to my aide and stood up for me.  I still got put on new girl status even though they were told by the organizers that I had nothing to do with it.  It didn't matter at that point.  One of the workers, Christine, didn't like me and had a campaigned tirelessly for Mrs. Wills to stop trusting me.  She never did like me from the time I was put into Bethesda.  She allowed me to be in bell choir and choir, but she did everything she could to be sure I never got a leg up while I was there.  She was even part of the reason I was kicked off my role as Lead Kitchen Cook/Staff.  Ah well, not everyone is gonna like you in this world.  Maybe she let her hair down more after her wedding to Bobby...  ;)

I hope this is the same Lisa who was my friend.  She had ezema or soriasis, can't remember which?  My Lisa was tall, hispanic, and beautiful.  I don't remember her last name though so I am not certain it is you.  If so, I have pictures of us together in the front hall of the new campus and think of you often.

I was at Bethesda from December 1982 - September 1984.  

I started out my stay there in the old campus with 10+ girls to a room and a huge and horrid shower room.  It never had enough hot water, we would stand in line with nothing but a towel around us all waiting to take a cold shower and would place a wash cloth on the floor so you wouldn't get athlete's foot on your arse while you shaved your legs with an old razor.  Then later the bliss of only 3-4 girls to a room with an adjoining bathroom you shared with only one other room of 3-4 girls.... LOL.  At least we had private 10 minute showers and the hope of getting a hot shower if you were one of the first 2 girls in.

If this is you or if anyone else out there was at Bethesda, you can find me and lots of other girls from there on Face Book's Group :  Bethesda Home for Girls.

PS.  I also remember and have not been able to locate, Regina (Reggie), Michelle Boudreax, Nina (who I think was part Indian), Betsy (who I think was from Dallas Tx and who's sister came to join her in 1984), Kimball Parker, Colleen Sherman, Donna Jean Chitty and a few more.
                                   Hi my name is Leda Rush,I was at Bethesda in 1981-1984.On & Off From 1982-1983 I gave birth to a son,I can't believe I 'm looking at names I remember living with.I have waited so long to find some of the girls I knew.I was also there for the riot.I also started out in the old place & went to the new one.My dad came down to talk to the Wills about Bricking the new one.I didn't like being there I sure didn't want my dad building a new one.One good thing about the new home we finally had more room.I don't have very many good  memories of that home.Does anyone remember the littke girl that was there,she was 8 or 9 when her parents dropped her off.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
I am looking for any girls that were at Bethesda From the time of 1981-1984.I was there in 81 when Morris Dees came in & if u signed that paper u had to go home And they also gave everyone else the choice to stay or go.But then in July 1982my parents thought this was the place to send me again so off I went for one whole horrible year7-82/783.I gave birth to a son March 21,1983,I was never allowed to even see him they took him so fast.I didn't even get to hear him cry.I'm sorry to say this but they really didn't treat the pregnant girls right.I don't think they treated anyone right.Maybe their favorites.U know if the home helped anyone that's great.I just saw to much while I was there.I was there for the riot.Can't say I wish it didn't happen but I got to go home after it did.I just have such horrible thoughts about this place,it haunts me to this day & I'm 41 now.Please if anyone remembers me my email is [email protected] would love to hear good & bad stories from anyone

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
I'd like to know if anyone has had ANY success through dealing with Jack Riley regarding finding a birth-mother or birth-child.  The low down is this...his offices contacted someone, requested $100 to help that person get information.  A few days later I called and I was told, "Oh, we don't have records that go back that far."  What's up with THAT???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
I was at Bethesda home for girls from '83 to '84, my name is Melissa Hughes-Summers.  I was and still am from Phoenix, AZ.  Is there anyone else out there that was there during that time that remembers me?  Would love to hear from you if so.  You can email me at [email protected]  I remember a Kelly Lamb from Ohio, Tina Holt from Texas, Angie Hall, Shannon Reynolds from Florida, Nelda Byrd from Alabama (I think), Debbie McClain (?) from Arizona....there was a Heather who was in the adjoining room to me but I can't remember her last name, she had red hair & freckles and was also from Arizona.  Trying to remember more.....Well if anyone wants to contact me, feel free.  Would love to reconnect.  

For those of you who had horrible experiences at Bethesda,  I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.  But I must've been at a different place because I never experienced any abuse there.  The workers that were there when I was there were Elizabeth, Donna, Christy & Robert & in general they were tough on us but never abusive.  Same with Mama & Papa....I remember getting hugs from Mama Wills on a number of occasions.  And I was only spanked once when I was there & it was for getting into a fight with a girl named Tammy from Georgia.

Look forward to hearing from anyone out there who might remember me.

Sincerely,

Melissa Hughes-Summers

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »
Quote from: Guest
Hi, I am looking for anyone who was at the Bethesda Home for girls during 1977 to 1880.  I spent 2 years there, not by choice.  I was there the first time when Beth, the girl who was hit by the train and had her leg cut off, was there.  I was sent there at 15 and left right before my 18th birthday.  I knew the Barnwells very well during those 2 years.  I would be interested to hear anyone who was there at that time.  I reccently found a copy of the "Family Altar" book on the homes for May of 1978 from my parents basement.  There is a photo in there of the 5 girls that were in charge of all of us at that time.  I am 44 years old now and am just now cruising the web to see if anyone else experienced what I did.  We SOOOOO weren't aloud to talk to one another about how we really felt inside.
Thanks

I was at Bethesda girls home for six months May-Nov.1980.I was there when a 14yr old girl broke out of the home and was hit by a eightwheeler and killed. Thanks to some older girls who decided to escape and put their lives in danger.she had not been their very long when she was killed.Those other girls were a mean rebellious bunch!! They were mean and hateful and hated and made fun of anyone who obeyed the rules and loved Jesus!!! I didnt like it much when I first got their either!! I wasnt there because I was a little angel who obeyed my parents!! I thank God for that home thats where I learned the word of God and met my Lord and savior Jesus Christ!!! Shame on you now grown women who want to whine and complian! You should thank God he had mercy on your rebellious souls!!! I have five children of my own now ages 26,24,21.18.and 14. 2 girls and 3 boys. And the days are even more evil and people are more wicked than in 1980.This nation needs homes like Bro Lester Roloff dedicated his life to now!!! He was a prophet of God!! Maybe our youth are the way they are today because the same rebellious teenagers then are raising the children of today of no knowledge of God or his holy word!! I guess after you read this you will still hate me and make fun!! But people hated and despised Jesus and rejected him killed him beat and  crucified my Lord and savior!! He said if they hated me they will also hate you!!!