Author Topic: I lost my virginity at Hyde.  (Read 12923 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I lost my virginity at Hyde.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
I thought of the poor girl tonight who went to Hyde and wrote about loosing her virginity.

On the news was a report about a young girl who traveled from California to DC on a plane to visit her father.  There was a young man who was prosecuted for gropping her on the overnight flight!  Of course the first question was, "why didn't you scream or let the flight attendant know what was being done to you at the time."  
This young girl explained how she went into a state of shock and how she didn't know what to do or how to respond.  She was paralized. Once the young man left the seat next to her she told the flight attendant what had happened.  The man was arrested and found guilty.  There were many passengers who had heard him say previously that he wanted to do sexual things to her.

I don't think a male can understand the panic state of mind this girl went through. It is amazing how some people posted messages saying that if she didn't want it to happen she should have spoken up.  This reminded me of the female Hyde student who is posting on this site. Although she did not stop the sexual encounter, she did not want it but didn't know how to respond.  This insecure young girl who had a poor self image was taken advantage of by a very secure young man who then tried to make her look like she wanted it.

To the girl who posted, don't blame yourself. If you haven't been able to deal with it, go seek counseling.  I feel so badly that your father took your Mother's life insurance money and placed you at a school that was not capable of handling your problems or looking after the well being of the students.  The school knew this and needs to take responsibility. Your father should try to plead with the school or the NEASC to get your tuition back.  I am sure your Mother would have wanted this money spent on your future not on something wasteful like Hyde.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »
so she should get her money back because she always wanted to fool around with this guy and let it happen, before she knew she didn't want to.

Hey I feel really bad for this girl, no one should be taken advantage like that, but is Hyde responsible for this?  Go after Hunter *Bob's family!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 11:56:00 PM »
On 2006-05-11 03:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"so she should get her money back because she always wanted to fool around with this guy and let it happen, before she knew she didn't want to.

Hey I feel really bad for this girl, no one should be taken advantage like that, but is Hyde responsible for this?  Go after Hunter *Bob's family!"

Hyde should not enroll students who have severe psychological problems unless they have an on site licensed Psychologist, which they don't.    Hyde's "one size fits all" is not appropriate and hurts more than it helps.  This girl never should have been in a school like Hyde and Hyde never should have accepted her.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
On 2006-05-11 20:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-05-11 03:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"so she should get her money back because she always wanted to fool around with this guy and let it happen, before she knew she didn't want to.

Hey I feel really bad for this girl, no one should be taken advantage like that, but is Hyde responsible for this?  Go after Hunter *Bob's family!"

Hyde should not enroll students who have severe psychological problems unless they have an on site licensed Psychologist, which they don't.    Hyde's "one size fits all" is not appropriate and hurts more than it helps.  This girl never should have been in a school like Hyde and Hyde never should have accepted her. "

I'm all in favor of adolescents learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions and actions.  But, anyone who has ANY close contact with Hyde knows that it is notorious for accepting tons of students who walk in the door with very substantial mental health struggles, diagnoses and challenges (and with Hyde's rumored enrollment problems, the pressure to accept these kids probably increases).  No one should be surprised that so many kids have problems like this at Hyde.  They're dealing with things like depression, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, cutting, etc. and Hyde assumes that it's "character education" model is what they need.  That's plain naive.  Character education, implemented by staff who have proper training and know what they're doing, is a fine model for kids whose problems are mainly character related.  But how can you expect all these Hyde students who have major mental health problems to function well at Hyde with its model that is designed for a different kind of kid?  I agree wholeheartedly with the person whose post said Hyde never should have accepted this student in the first place.  If Hyde wants to accept all these students with major mental health problems, Hyde needs to completely redesign its model, hire a very different kind of staff, and all that so that it can provide these kids with the mental health services they need.  Admitting these students to Hyde is a set-up, a disaster waiting to happen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm all in favor of adolescents learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions and actions. But, anyone who has ANY close contact with Hyde knows that it is notorious for accepting tons of students ......

How many students to the ton?  10? 20?

SD

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
On 2006-05-12 11:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I'm all in favor of adolescents learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions and actions. But, anyone who has ANY close contact with Hyde knows that it is notorious for accepting tons of students ......

SD"

Whenever I talk with other Hyde parents I hear story after story about their children's mental health problems and histories.  It's a constant, consistent theme.  Hyde students without a diagnosis seem to be more the exception than the rule.  Is this a scientific survey?  No, I'll grant you that.  Is the anecdotal evidence, which I've now seen for several years, powerful?  Absolutely.  Hyde staff themselves admit that the percentage of the student body with mental health diagnoses is substantial and has increased.  The fundamental problem is the extraordinarly poor fit between Hyde's model and these students' needs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 01:38:00 AM »
On 2006-05-12 12:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-05-12 11:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

SD"

Whenever I talk with other Hyde parents I hear story after story about their children's mental health problems and histories.  It's a constant, consistent theme.  Hyde students without a diagnosis seem to be more the exception than the rule.  Is this a scientific survey?  No, I'll grant you that.  Is the anecdotal evidence, which I've now seen for several years, powerful?  Absolutely.  Hyde staff themselves admit that the percentage of the student body with mental health diagnoses is substantial and has increased.  The fundamental problem is the extraordinarly poor fit between Hyde's model and these students' needs.  "

Hydes students are not the only ones who have mental health problems.  A huge majority of Hyde staff also have psychological disorders! I agree with the poster above.....Hyde needs to revisit their model

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
Famous People Who Have Had Mental Illness

Hans Christian Anderson, Ludwig Von Beethoven, Winston Churchill, Kurt Cobain, Charles Darwin, Emily Dickenson, Thomas Edison, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Betty Ford, Paul Gauguin, King George III, Johan Goethe, Ernest Hemingway, Victor Hugo, Thomas Jefferson, John Keats, Abraham Lincoln, Michelangelo, Florence Nightengale, King Saul, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Isaac Newton.

source : http://www.mentalhealth.com/

In any give population 1 out of five will have mental health issues

source : http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/didyou.cfm

Why did jesus appear 2000 years ago?  If he was alive today he would be put on psychotropic meds.  If Vincent had popped prozac Starry Night would have been a Keen child on velvet:

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sectio ... entID=4858

"What else should I be?
All apologies
What else should I say?
Everyone is gay."

Kurt

"I'm Crazy"
Willie

Sue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 09:43:00 AM »
On 2006-05-13 05:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

" Famous People Who Have Had Mental Illness

Hans Christian Anderson, Ludwig Von Beethoven, Winston Churchill, Kurt Cobain, Charles Darwin, Emily Dickenson, Thomas Edison, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Betty Ford, Paul Gauguin, King George III, Johan Goethe, Ernest Hemingway, Victor Hugo, Thomas Jefferson, John Keats, Abraham Lincoln, Michelangelo, Florence Nightengale, King Saul, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Isaac Newton.

source : http://www.mentalhealth.com/

In any give population 1 out of five will have mental health issues

source : http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/didyou.cfm

Why did jesus appear 2000 years ago?  If he was alive today he would be put on psychotropic meds.  If Vincent had popped prozac Starry Night would have been a Keen child on velvet:

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sectio ... entID=4858

"What else should I be?

All apologies

What else should I say?

Everyone is gay."

Kurt

"I'm Crazy"

Willie

Sue"

And what does all this prove Mr Sue?  I don't care if the whole world is crazy.  You are missing the point.  Hyde describes themselves as a college prep school whose model is based on character.  Hyde also sells parents on the idea that if you follow the Hyde process, all will be well!  Those of us who went through Hyde know that Hyde sells you a false bill of goods and Hyde cannot help many people no matter how closely you follow the Hyde rules and principles.  Instead of accepting 98% of the students who apply, Hyde needs to be more honest with themselves and potential parents and recommend other schools which have the ability and credentials to help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
my point is that 20% of the us population suffers from some form of mental illness.  Many great people were/are mentally ill.  What is so great about normal?  To quote on of my favorite Canadians: "the trouble with normal is it always gets worse"

G Bernard Shaw rightfully observed that "reasonable men adapt to the world. Unreasonable men expect the world to adapt to them, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men"  As I have said before,a reasonable sane man would not have founded Hyde on the premise that the world of education need to change.  Just because you have mental heath issues does not mean you are wrong or unfit for a certain type of work.  Funny there was a piece on Winny this morning.  They said a reasonable sober man would have concluded that GB was doomed, fortunately Winny was neither of those two.  They played the Blood sweet and tears speech.  Very moving.

The israel air force pilot training has something on the order of 98% success.  They has a scientific sscreening process.  The US air force has something on the order of 10%.  You meet the basic qualification, you want to give it a shot you get a 1 in ten chance. Very democratic.  

So I think that just because people are crazy and your chances are not good is no reason to shoot a process down.  That is my point.

SD

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
On 2006-05-13 12:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"my point is that 20% of the us population suffers from some form of mental illness.  Many great people were/are mentally ill.  What is so great about normal?  To quote on of my favorite Canadians: "the trouble with normal is it always gets worse"

G Bernard Shaw rightfully observed that "reasonable men adapt to the world. Unreasonable men expect the world to adapt to them, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men"  As I have said before,a reasonable sane man would not have founded Hyde on the premise that the world of education need to change.  Just because you have mental heath issues does not mean you are wrong or unfit for a certain type of work.  Funny there was a piece on Winny this morning.  They said a reasonable sober man would have concluded that GB was doomed, fortunately Winny was neither of those two.  They played the Blood sweet and tears speech.  Very moving.

The israel air force pilot training has something on the order of 98% success.  They has a scientific sscreening process.  The US air force has something on the order of 10%.  You meet the basic qualification, you want to give it a shot you get a 1 in ten chance. Very democratic.  

So I think that just because people are crazy and your chances are not good is no reason to shoot a process down.  That is my point.

SD

"

Let me see if I follow your logic here: I get the impression you're saying that Hyde may work for 10% (or whatever small percentage) of its students, so parents should simply sign their kids up and hope for the best, hoping that they'll end up in the "success" group, even though the odds of success aren't good?   Are you really arguing that?  If so, that seems incredibly insensitive and arrogant.  What you seem to be saying is that parents should take a huge risk, financially and emotionally, and that it's okay that most of them will spend $35,000-40,000 a year to send their kids to Hyde even when Hyde will end up not being a good place for their kids.  And that's not to mention the emotional travesty for these families who have to live through what is likely to turn out to be a painful Hyde experience (except for the small percentage who have a good experience).  Are you REALLY taking that position?

Our family was mislead by Hyde.  We had no idea they accepted so many kids with so many mental health problems and didn't have a trained staff to deal with that.  We had no idea so many of Hyde's staff are inexperienced when it comes to the type of student body there.  

We wish Hyde had been more honest from the beginning about the way it accepts a huge percentage of applicants, including those who need a very different kind of school.  We wish Hyde only accepted the kind of students that are a proper fit for its character education model.

To push your analogy, wouldn't it be much more fair and appropriate (and sensitive) to try to do careful screening at the front end, the way the Israeli Air Force does it?  Isn't that the right way to do it for all concerned?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »
On 2006-05-13 13:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-05-13 12:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"my point is that 20% of the us population suffers from some form of mental illness.  Many great people were/are mentally ill.  What is so great about normal?  To quote on of my favorite Canadians: "the trouble with normal is it always gets worse"

SD

"

Let me see if I follow your logic here: I get the impression you're saying that Hyde may work for 10% (or whatever small percentage) of its students, so parents should simply sign their kids up and hope for the best, hoping that they'll end up in the "success" group, even though the odds of success aren't good?   Are you really arguing that?  If so, that seems incredibly insensitive and arrogant.  What you seem to be saying is that parents should take a huge risk, financially and emotionally, and that it's okay that most of them will spend $35,000-40,000 a year to send their kids to Hyde even when Hyde will end up not being a good place for their kids.  And that's not to mention the emotional travesty for these families who have to live through what is likely to turn out to be a painful Hyde experience (except for the small percentage who have a good experience).  Are you REALLY taking that position?

Our family was mislead by Hyde.  We had no idea they accepted so many kids with so many mental health problems and didn't have a trained staff to deal with that.  We had no idea so many of Hyde's staff are inexperienced when it comes to the type of student body there.  

We wish Hyde had been more honest from the beginning about the way it accepts a huge percentage of applicants, including those who need a very different kind of school.  We wish Hyde only accepted the kind of students that are a proper fit for its character education model.

To push your analogy, wouldn't it be much more fair and appropriate (and sensitive) to try to do careful screening at the front end, the way the Israeli Air Force does it?  Isn't that the right way to do it for all concerned?"

I am not saying what parents should do. I am saying that there may be value to allowing people that may be clinically mentally to ill sort things out.  IT will not work for every one it will work for some.  Most people with mental illness are never diagnosed or treated. Who is responsible for that?  Perhaps you as a parent should bring your child to a mental heath profesional. Some people can pull them selves out of some problems with out medication. Not many but some. I would not advise it If you can it is better then walking around on prozac the rest of your life IMHO.

I have no idea what the success rates are at hyde or how they compare to similar institutions.  I was accepting as fact or at least as a premise for futher conjectsure, the assurtion that hyde fails,  that is does not address the needs, of many or most of it's students.  Based on that I argue that that may not be a bad thing in and of it self. Only one out of ten alchoholics very gets sober.  I would not use the statistic as a reason to dissuade some one from attending AA meetings.  IF you can find something with a better success rate by all means go for it.

40k is chump change to some of these folks. 20k less that the Audi A6 I saw one parent ferry thier child to an interview in a couple of years back. Bush has been good to the upper classes.

I don't work for Hyde.  I would not advise any one to attend. With that said, I would not advise anyone to go to a Red Sox game.  I assiduously avoid giving advice, even to my own children, who are pretty well adjusted and never went to hyde.

Go Sox!

SD

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
To the person who wrote the original post on this thread: I had an eerily similar experience.  My heart goes out to you. Thanks for having the courage to write what you did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
On 2006-06-01 19:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"To the person who wrote the original post on this thread: I had an eerily similar experience.  My heart goes out to you. Thanks for having the courage to write what you did."

What was your experience at Hyde?  How did the school handle it?  I hope you're doing okay now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »
I am not willing to share my experience here, but, yes, I am doing okay now. Thanks.